• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
@Shikiari, to mention this again, this is pretty much a magical girl set up, they don't become "giants" as they simply conjure up attacks that summon artillery fire that would come from cannons MUCH larger than what they are wearing as part of there transformed versions.

Thank you for clearing that up, I'm sound with the idea of conjuring up of that type of firepower. So they're "normal" size with miniature cannons/ aircraft. I just completely lost a sense of scale when they're all Jet Set Radio'ing across the ocean.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

spoiler[Not much action this week but I thought the slice of life mood was pretty fun to watch. We get Fubuki who is adjusting with her new life with the others.]

I'm not sure which ship I like the most though but there's quite a spoiler[diverse personality among them. OP and ED songs are decent and catchy.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

"Without Dissent, Without Shame, Without Resentment!"

I'm rooting for you Fubuki! It was an enjoyable 'Slice of Life' episode and out of all the girls/ ships so far, Fubuki's probably my favourite. I'm a sucker for someone working hard towards their goals.. cue the Rocky theme! Poi...

As Stark mentioned, the OP and ED are quite catchy also, so Kancolle is doing everything right for me at present. More spoiler[Naval Warfare next week, so it should be interesting to see how much Fubuki has improved.]
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Huh spoiler[Fubuki's training montage came along sooner than I thought I thought she wouldn't gain more competence until some contrived moment when she would have to save the First Carrier fleet, although I still imagine it'll happen, probably if (or when) they show Midway-Hime (I know shocking prediction right?)]

I'll admit I liked watching Fubuki train, although it made me just want to see the other girls get more screen time. (preferably Kaga, I like Kaga though frankly any of the larger ship classes would be nice)

spoiler[Next time is the operation to capture W island soooo I'm gonna venture a guess and say Island-Oni is the next boss? could be wrong though I only just looked though all the bosses on the Wiki yesterday]

Shikiari wrote:
More spoiler[Naval Warfare next week, so it should be interesting to see how much Fubuki has improved.]

Yes...Fubuki.....I totally want to root for Fubuki....ah screw I want more Abyssal Fleetgirl screentime GO CHI-CLASS SHOW THOSE LOLIS WHAT A REAL TORPEDO SHIP IS LIKE *bricked*
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Sorry, for some reason I am still not entirely feeling it, I think the biggest problem is that some scenes are just too cliché they make me grown, and some try too hard for the moe giving characters quirks. Not entirely sure but I feel like I have seen better versions in other shows

I admit the show is generally pretty in its art, which we tend to get a bit spoiled about, and I don't hate it or the characters. I just feel like it needs something really interesting to grab me.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 2

Sorry, for some reason I am still not entirely feeling it, I think the biggest problem is that some scenes are just too cliché they make me grown, and some try too hard for the moe giving characters quirks. Not entirely sure but I feel like I have seen better versions in other shows

I sorta feel the same. The character designs and the action scenes are great but all the slice of life stuff, and the personalities of the girls are the type of things we've already seen in other shows like Strike Witches, Girls & Panzer, etc. I'll keep watching, but I hope the writers do something to make this show stand out.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying KanColle but not for the reasons you might think. I don't care about the girls; what's really cool is... ship spotting.

Here's a pic of my Japanese warship and book collection.

Back wall: plan and external profile of Fuso.
Back row (l-r): Fuso and Yamato
2nd from back row: Nagato
2nd from front row(l-r): Kirishima and Hyuga
Front (l-r): Chin'en and Mikasa

To put eros and thanatos into some sort of perspective here's the fate of the namesake ships in World War 2 for all the girls listed in the ANN encyclopaedia so far. This list doesn't include the people killed by these ships from China to Ceylon to Northern Australia to the Solomon Islands to Hawaii to the Aleutian Islands; the sailors killed on the ships in earlier actions; or the victims of friendly fire.

Code:
Character Class         Sunk         Dead  Notes
Akagi     Carrier       05 May 1942   267   
Fubuki    Destroyer     15 Nov 1942  >100   
Kaga      Carrier       04 May 1942   811   
Akatsuki  Destroyer     13 Nov 1942   179   
Atago     Heavy Cruiser 23 Oct 1944   360   
Hibiki    Destroyer     To USSR            Survived the war
Hiei      Battleship    14 Nov 1942   188   
Ikazuchi  Destroyer     13 Apr 1944  ~250  No survivors
Inazuma   Destroyer     10 Jun 1944  ~120   
Jintsu    Light Cruiser 13 Jul 1943   482   
Kitakami  Light Cruiser Scrapped           Survived the war
Kongo     Battleship    21 Nov 1944 >1200   
Mutsu     Battleship    08 Jun 1943  1121  Accidental loss
Mutsuki   Destroyer     25 Aug 1942    41   
Nagato    Battleship    Nuclear test       The only large Japanese warship afloat at the end of the war
Naka      Light Cruiser 18 Feb 1944   240   
Oi        Light Cruise  19 Jul 1944   153   
Sendai    Light Cruiser 03 Nov 1943   184   
Shimakaze Destroyer     11 Nov 1944     ?   
Yudachi   Destroyer     15 Dec 1942     ?   
Ashigara  Heavy Cruiser 08 Jun 1945  1300  Includes 1200 troops being transported
Chikuma   Heavy Cruiser 25 Oct 1944  ~850  The ship carrying survivors was sunk, only 1 person survived both sinkings
Haruna    Battleship    28 Jul 1945    65  Sunk at moorings & raised for scrap
Kirishima Battleship    15 Nov 1942   212  Sunk by Amercian battleship Washington
Kisaragi  Destroyer     11 Dec 1941   150  No survivors
Kuma      Light Cruiser 11 Jan 1944   138   
Mamiya    Supply Ship   20 Dec 1944     ?   
Mogami    Heavy Cruiser 25 Oct 1944   192   
Oyodo     Light Cruiser 28 Jul 1945  ~300  Sunk at moorings & raised for scrap
Shokaku   Carrier       19 Jun 1944  1272   
Tama      Light Cruiser 20 Oct 1944  ~450  No survivors
Tone      Heavy Cruiser 24 Jul 1945     ?  Sunk at moorings & raised for scrap
Yubari    Light Cruiser 28 Apr 1944    19

Sources: 1. Jentsura, Hansgeorg (1976). Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1869-1945. Naval Institute Press. ISBN 0-87021-893-X.
2. Wikipedia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Cool post, errinundra - let's hope fate is kinder to the Kan Colle gals!
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I'm enjoying KanColle but not for the reasons you might think. I don't care about the girls; what's really cool is... ship spotting.

While I'm more of a tank person, I know the feeling. I got more from Girls und Panzer for the same reason as well.

Quote:
To put eros and thanatos into some sort of perspective here's the fate of the namesake ships in World War 2 for all the girls listed in the ANN encyclopaedia so far.

Blood- wrote:
let's hope fate is kinder to the Kan Colle gals!

It was mentioned in the other review thread, but many viewers probably know most of these ships were sunk during WWII. While I'm sure the show is historically accurate as far as ship specs go, I'm not expecting the majority of the cast to die. At least I hope not Sad
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Welp, spoiler[so it happened. Kisaragi Anime cry]

spoiler[Still, I can't say I'm entirely surprised by this with the death flags. Btw, I read from somewhere that once they are sunks/dies, they can't be revived...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Huh well I totally misread the tone of the show bye Kisaragi you will be reborn eventually as a demon shark thing because even after sinking Destroyers get the short stick, also because I'm evil BWAHAHAHA ANOTHER SHIP FOR THE ABYSSAL FLEET]

spoiler[As a side note what kinda shit admiral assigns a Mutsuki class to ANYTHING besides expeditions they are some of the worst combat destroyers in the game]

EDIT: I forgot to comment on everything else

spoiler[From the preview it looks like Kongou is gonna feature next time, finally the true protagonist arrives Razz (although she was in the opening battle of ep1)]

Akagi with all that stuff about heart and protecting the ones you love you're starting to raise some death flags yourself, although you are a pseudo main character so you might actually be safe. Then again that just means the "honor" of carrier fodder would go to Kaga (dammit I like Kaga)......spoiler[Chuukansei-Hime] is gonna be fun when they get to her.

spoiler[Bah the only carriers that appeared during the ambush were Nu-Kyuus worthless mooks ahhhh one of these days the Abyssal Idol Wo-Kyuu will appear for actual combat and it will be glorious ya know before she dies ]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Man, all those spoiler[death flags.] But then I thought "This isn't that kind of show, is it?" Turns out spoiler[it is.]

Well, so long as nothing happens to Fubuki. I have a soft spot for the "unskilled but works hard" types so even if the rest of the fandom doesn't care about her, she'll be #1 in my heart~
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Aw, dang it. And if you look at the chart errinundra posted, you'll see spoiler[Kisaragi was one of the first ships to sink.]

Pity the cuteness has to be spoiler[marred by sadness.]

And Plasmaeclipse please identify your spoilers as game spoilers. That is information I would prefer not to have known yet.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

How many spoiler[death flags did she want raise before someone died], after she spoiler[was saved] there was one likely outcome. From now on I will refer to her as the spoiler[Death flag, the highlights of her hair died in death and a symbol to those that see her.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Aw, dang it. And if you look at the chart errinundra posted, you'll see spoiler[Kisaragi was one of the first ships to sink.]

The Kisaragi business notwithstanding, I doubt the anime is going to follow actual history that far. For one thing the enemy is totally different and beyond W (wake) Island it would be too hard to replicate the entire Japanese theatre in this format.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13