• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, the game doesn't have a plot to speak of, so can there really be spoilers?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Yup. I already found out information that I would have preferred to learn from the anime thanks to Plasmaeclipse.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's always possible those things won't be incorporated into the show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh gosh, that makes me feel so much better. Rolling Eyes The ANN rule is very simple and clear: any source material details not revealed in an anime episode have to be put in spoiler tags and identified as source material spoilers. You may not agree or like that rule, but you know what? Tough. The rule is there to protect ANIME watchers like myself who are posting in an ANIME forum in an ANIME thread about an ANIME and who only want to find out information as it is doled out in the ANIME. It's a pretty simple concept. I, and others, don't want some source material meathead deciding what is or isn't important information to reveal.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I understand that perfectly well, but in this case the game has no particular plot to follow and while there are some game mechanics that can change some characters, that doesn't mean it'll be reflected in the anime. It could be, sure, but knowing there's a 50/50 chance doesn't really ruin things like knowing something will 100% happen (or 90% in most cases since not all adaptations are that faithful).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I liked this episode , it felt like the first time they made truly interesting characters in the show, they were fun to watch.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, it's always possible those things won't be incorporated into the show.

That doesn't help though. Spoilers are annoying even if they end up not being true, because then you have a false belief about what's going to happen.

Any information about something that isn't available to someone else can be a spoiler. Even saying what isn't important later can be a spoiler.

So, if you're posting about something that happens in source mateiral that hasn't happened in the anime, please tag it and state that it's from the source material.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
I put my model ship Nagato and my model ship Kirishima on the desk in front of my screen then proceeded to laugh myself silly throughout episode 4. (Well, maybe not at the start or at the end.)

It's a dumb show but it sure is entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Um, just for future reference, where are these rules about spoiler quotes and identification for source material? I've gone through "Teh Rules," the Feedback Forum, and the top of the Anime Forum, but I don't see reference to it (it's quite possible I'm overlooking it... everything is so spread out). I know it's frowned upon to not do so, and I can provide a similar warning as to what Galap did at the front of the post, but I don't see any rule that needs to be enforced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Here is a posting in a thread (possibly stickied by Tony K.) that offers unofficial advice on spoiler tags.*

*dtm42 asked for moderator/administrator feedback on his advice, but never received any.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
willag, "Teh Rules" also don't specifically say you must spoiler tag important events from currently running episodes either, yet that is a strongly enforced rule. Clearly, there are ad hoc rules that have not been officially codified in "Teh Rules" which should be so that everybody understands them correctly. I have seen several instances where mods have admonished people to properly identify spoilers as being source material as distinct from regular episode spoilers. The logic behind this is stunningly obvious. If I have seen all the broadcast episodes of a series, then I have no problem looking behind people's spoiler tags since I cannot be spoiled on events that have happened. However, if they are passing on information gleaned from the source material that may appear in future episodes, then that event/detail is spoiled for me if I have no way of knowing if a spoiler tag is covering episode information or source material. Isn't this stunningly obvious?

The lack of official inclusion in Teh Rules is a problem that needs to be corrected quickly. I hope you will notify Tempest. Unfortunately, knowing how people like Vaisaga operate, they will no doubt use this loophole to ignore what has been ad hoc policy. In the future, how about discussing matters like this internally with an admin if you are unsure about something before sowing confusion on the board? Thanks in advance.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why you're singling me out. I agree with you for the most part, it's just that in this case the original source has no plot to spoil. But if you're going to get so worked up about that, why didn't you say anything when that list of all the ships' fates was posted? Surely that should have been spoiler tagged.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it does have plot to spoil. I've already referred to a specific example. Your reply to that was that we don't know if that detail will make it into the anime. The problem with that immensely stupid line of reasoning is that it can be used to justify posting any and all information from source material since somebody can claim, "look anime adaptations change details all the time - just because this happened in the manga, LN, VN, game, whatever doesn't mean it will happen in the anime." Since nobody except the writers of the show know for sure what material will be kept intact and what won't, I don't want individual posters to "guess."

I am singling you out because I know your position on spoilers in general. You don't give a shit about them. Others, like myself, do. The fact that you personally don't feel the information I learned is important is utterly irrelevant.

Rules should be simple. Identify all information gleaned from source material that has not appeared in the anime yet as a source material spoiler so that people like me can avoid unmasking them. This is just simple courtesy and common sense.

As for spoiler tagging something like the chart errinundra posted - hey, I'm as much a stickler about rules as they come but not even in my most stickler-est mood would I insist that historical information be hidden under spoiler tags. No, I'm quite content to restrict spoiler tags to actual source material stuff (source material being the specific game/manga/LN/VN/whatever the anime is being adapted from).
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Guys it just slipped my mind cause it was a spur of the moment comment the mods have already spoken and i even went back to spoiler mark the post just for you. Can we stop arguing abput spoilers and instead return to the nuances of underaged schoolgirls and not as underaged girls with the souls of battleships fighting against evil demon shipgirls

Last edited by Plasmaeclipse on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
Can we stop arguing abput spoilers and instead return to the nuances of underaged schoolgirls and not underage as underaged girls with the souls of battleships fighting against evil demon shipgirls

I wanna save that topic for my post-doctoral dissertation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13