• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Like I said before the ships themselves aren't inherently good or evil just like any weapon. It all depends on who uses them and for what.

And, well, it's not exactly hard to see Americans in a negative light Laughing

I'm not talking about the ships themselves, of course, but rather how they're being portrayed and why. Such things as that *can* be viewed as being "good" or "bad" (I'll refrain from using the word "evil" here).

And it's not Americans being viewed in a negative light per se, it's the idea that "all outsiders are bad" that troubles me, and its an implication I see repeated in a lot of anime. The fact that in this case it's America (or, rather, the allied fleet) that is being portrayed that way is just another drop in a bucket compared to that larger issue, IMO.

If this turned into something like how Paranoia Agent ended (I won't put spoilers here, but those who have seen it know what I'm talking about), which urged a sort of cultural self-assessment, then I'd feel a lot better about the show, but if that sort of thing doesn't happen... well, it'll just vindicate my uneasiness about what sort of message shows like this are putting out there.

@errunundra,

It's totally possible that I'm reading way too much into this. And I've also laughed at things that should be really disturbing/troubling... I'm sure I'll do so in the future, and I'm fine with that. The *reason* I'm fine with that is that I am aware of what is going on beneath the surface, so I can appreciate whatever irony/dark sarcasm is going on. It's the people who *aren't* aware of that sort of thing that can be problematic, IMO.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
And it's not Americans being viewed in a negative light per se, it's the idea that "all outsiders are bad" that troubles me, and its an implication I see repeated in a lot of anime. The fact that in this case it's America (or, rather, the allied fleet) that is being portrayed that way is just another drop in a bucket compared to that larger issue, IMO.

I wouldn't say it goes that far. The game does feature some German and Russian fleet girls.

When I said it's not hard to view Americans in a negative light I was talking solely about me reading the real history. Me being upset at the US for sinking the ships is all the easier since America already has an image of being a bit of a bully.

In the context of the show, though, I don't read into it so much. The Abyssals are mysterious beings from the depths of the sea who pose a threat to all of humanity. They aren't just some hostile force from a distant land who have it out for Japan. They aren't constantly stuffing hamburgers into their face either Wink If the intent was to say "The Allies were terrible monsters attacking righteous Japan" then they didn't commit to that enough.

There's a line in Strike Witches that goes something like "If the Neuroi didn't show up we'd probably be fighting each other" and the same might be true here.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that no slur against the allies of WW2 is intended, the actions of the Abyssals so closely match the events of that conflict that I'm sure there is a correspondence between them. Indeed, making the Abyssals a nebulous, unknowable enemy kind of ensures that no slur is inferred.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:
It was cute seeing spoiler[Yuudachi and that hairstyle along with her outfit this episode.]

Had some problems adapting with the spoiler[transition of this episode but I guess I should of expected some action against the Abyss again. Also, some respect for Kongou this week.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Okay, i'm torn right now. spoiler[Yuudachi's] remodelled look is so sweet and I really like it, but I also liked spoiler[Yuudachi's] original appearance.

Honestly, when the spoiler[Admiral disbanded Squad Five and recalled Fubuki] to the Naval Base, I was glad that the building he was in was spoiler[destroyed]... He deserved it for being a right tool.

I really hope they don't tamper with spoiler[Fubuki's] look with the apparent remodel next episode and just leave her alone. I mean, you can't improve upon perfection... right. At least I don't have to worry about Kongou receiving one!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yeah, spoiler[the admiral is "missing,"] but look, you conveniently spoiler[have all his orders right there in your hand]. We know what's up, Nagato.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
This has gone full circle with the silliness of the non character existence of the "admiral".

For me this has probably been the weakest of episodes even without considering the phantom admiral as it is pretty much a chunk of every Fubuki development rehashed in one form or another just to fill out her characters screen time.

spoiler[The "your Yuudachi is evolving!" segment was a amusing, but just as well it was a small Segway against a ho-hum episode.]

Hopefully there is a nice set of closing episodes and this was just the final lul before the anticipated "big battle of the season".
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Episode 9

Okay, i'm torn right now. spoiler[Yuudachi's] remodelled look is so sweet and I really like it, but I also liked spoiler[Yuudachi's] original appearance.

I really hope they don't tamper with spoiler[Fubuki's] look with the apparent remodel next episode and just leave her alone. I mean, you can't improve upon perfection... right. At least I don't have to worry about Kongou receiving one!

[Not sure if this is a spoiler since it's about gameplay/portait stuff but i'll spoiler mark it anywyas just in case it mostly concerns who has kai ni's]
spoiler[fubuki really does not change much with her kai ni her outfit changes a little (the blue parts turn black) and she gets different guns. Kongou actually has a kai-ni but it's really just a portrait change her general appearance is the same so even if she evolves anothing will change]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
For me this has probably been the weakest of episodes even without considering the phantom admiral as it is pretty much a chunk of every Fubuki development rehashed in one form or another just to fill out her characters screen time.

Not really. This time it was more about spoiler[Fubuki being jealous that Yuudachi is surpassing her. Not only did Yuudachi get remodeled (I'm still not a fan of that design) but she also got assigned to Akagi's fleet. Couple that with her own fleet getting dispanded naturally Fubuki's quite upset. She has to look beyond herself and see that Yuudachi's working hard too and she should be happy for her friend's accomplishment.] None of that has been used for her development before.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
None of that has been used for her development before.

I guess my issue is that it gets resolved before the end of the episode, and for me it feels like there have been more than enough character establishing segments for Fubuki at this point, in a way I was expecting maybe a much more Yuudachi focused episode spoiler[because she "evolved" to her next form]
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
None of that has been used for her development before.

I guess my issue is that it gets resolved before the end of the episode, and for me it feels like there have been more than enough character establishing segments for Fubuki at this point, in a way I was expecting maybe a much more Yuudachi focused episode spoiler[because she "evolved" to her next form]

Really this series as a whole has had issues with problems being completely short term. EVERY problem has been resolved in one episode that's really been what's stopping me from seeing the series as anything more than just competent
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I actually found that episode kind of boring. From the perspective of someone who doesn't already know the characters, it seems like they just keep introducing new characters out of nowhere. So far they've had two episodes that focused on characters who had gotten little or no screen time before that (this one and the cooking contest episode), and the characters who seem to be the "main group" (besides Fubuki) keeps changing. I understand that they need to get all the popular or important ships involved, but I wish they would just focus more on one set of characters so we could get more attached to them (though I guess the show is intended for people who already are attached to the characters).

Episode 9

This episode went back to focusing on the original group of main characters, so I guess that is an improvement (though now it seems like spoiler[ the Carrier Group Five characters are back to being side characters]).

While I like spoiler[Yuudachi's new look, she just doesn't seem like Yuudachi appearance-wise. I would have no idea that was the same character if they didn't tell me. The change in eye color especially throws me off. Looking up how Fubuki looks after being remodeled on the Kancolle Wiki, it doesn't seem like she will change appearance as much.]

For the events at the end of the episode, was that supposed to represent the spoiler[Doolittle Raid (even though I think that would be going back in time compared to real-life events), or is there some other real-life even the attack on the base could represent?] Also, I thought it was clear that spoiler[Fubuki was misunderstanding, and she was being recalled to the base not because of poor performance, but because the Admiral had something important for her to do. This seems to be the case based on the orders for her to be remodeled that they found at the end. I'm not sure why he couldn't have just told her that as part of the order for her to go back to base though. Of course that would have removed the dramatic tension from the episode, but it seems rather contrived that he would order her back to base without explaining why.]

Since there are apparently only three episodes left, I'm wondering if maybe they will end things with spoiler[an equivalent to the Battle of Midway] (I guess it is a spoiler that it hasn't happened yet, so I'm spoiler tagging that just in case). I think it would be interesting if they actually ended the season with them losing a major battle, so as to set up a cliffhanger for the next season (I'm assuming they will make another season at some point). I don't think it is likely they would have them defeat the Abyssals totally in the next three episodes, as that would both seem to be too short a time and make it more difficult to make another season. I could see them starting to ignore historical events and have the main characters score a major victory (they almost have to have them win eventually . . . this just doesn't seem like the kind of series where they lose in the end). But again, I think I would prefer a cliffhanger if they are planning on a second season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:28 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
spoiler[The "your Yuudachi is evolving!" segment was a amusing, but just as well it was a small Segway against a ho-hum episode.]

You know it that a spoiler[Pokémon evolving thing] is what came to my mind, music and all. I actually likespoiler[ the new design, just "Poi"] was getting annoying.

Also, apparently Black Rock Shooter spoiler[bombed them].

I continue to find it incredibly hard to sympathise with the characters when I know that the events are symbolic of Japan's WWII campaign. It would almost be like watching moe Nazis doing their thing, although I believe there was some sort of kickstarter connected to that.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It would almost be like watching moe Nazis doing their thing, although I believe there was some sort of kickstarter connected to that.

Yes, you can still find the vid link on youtube.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

You know it that a spoiler[Pokémon evolving thing] is what came to my mind, music and all. I actually likespoiler[ the new design, just "Poi"] was getting annoying.

Also, apparently Black Rock Shooter spoiler[bombed them].

I continue to find it incredibly hard to sympathise with the characters when I know that the events are symbolic of Japan's WWII campaign. It would almost be like watching moe Nazis doing their thing, although I believe there was some sort of kickstarter connected to that.

I guess this is the part where I remind you there are in fact 4 nazi ship-girls in the game and I think they recently added a U-boat girl (they have not and probably will not appear in anime form)

Anyways to actually comment on the episode itself I hated it. I already went on a long winded and probably incoherent rant in the daily review thread so I won't repeat that. I'll sum it up by saying none of the emotions felt genuine to me. All the situations were contrived and poorly established. None of it was connected to any previous character development or plot points and it really epitomizes the problems this series has, mainly establishing long term conflicts.

spoiler[Also BWAHAHAHAHA YES BURN THE NAVAL DISTRICT BUUUUUUUURN THIS IS REVENGE FOR BLOWING UP WO-CHAN'S FACE AND TOTALLY KILLING A RI-CLASS WHO WAS TRYING TO PROTECT SEMPAI]

Ya know now that I think about Black Wo-ck shooter may in fact be the best developed character. She has a logical motivation and consistent character arc that lasts more than 1 episode. Fubuki shot her in the face I'd be pissed off too. They also killed her kouhai/clone that was not cool. I'd want to blow up her house too if that happened to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13