• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valkyrie Drive -Mermaid- (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Valkyrie Drive -Mermaid- (TV)

Genres: action
Themes: fanservice, yuri

Plot Summary: In a world where five artificial islands exists, Mamori is a "mermaid" transferred to one of those islands. When Mamori is attacked, a newly transferred girl named Mirei saves her. The enemy doesn't stop, however, and the two are soon cornered. Just when they think all hope is lost, Mirei kisses Mamori, and Mamori turns into a sword. Mirei then wields the sword and launches a counterattack against their enemies.
----------------------------------

Well the first episode (raw) is out now.

This felt like watching Battle Vixen for some reason if you've seen that show before. There's a lot of fan service lol and the show is uncensored (AT-X) so there's no need to wait for BDs. As the plot is all over the place, this is probably the guilty pleasure of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
This is a queens blade like set up with oppai galore, the funny thing that I will not forget lightly is the super genki closer which no doubt intentionally clashes with the dueling super power lady theme of the show.
The viewer should not "accidently" watch this show, there are boobs galore and blatant yuri action, if you already don't want to watch those then this is NOT the show for you.

I might come back to this to kill some time, maybe the follow up episodes will paint a tangible plot with the briefly established cast beyond the two poster heroines.
ShiroYo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
This one should be named "life and hometown" as a tribute to its creator.

Well this show is everything I expected from a anime based on Kenichiro Takaki work, from the fan-service and fights to the bad plot and somewhat annoying personality of most of the characters (the blond girl is pretty likable though).

If I will follow it? Hell yeah, because when I watch this I see more than just boobies and asses flying around the screen, what I see is the fulfillment of a man's dream, the dream to deliver T&A free of the harem and censorship shackles that taint our 2D muses in present days. Takaki-sensei, director-san I salute both of you.

IGN - Oppai/10 - "These plots run deeper"

Last edited by ShiroYo on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
I opened the Pandora's Box that is this show, and I revelled in all the sins of the world. It's like some sort of absurd mixture between Cross Ange, Qwaser and Queen's Blade. Btw I think Kasumi's the most attractive character in the show so far.

I wonder if those who turn into weapons (not sure if it's spoilers but I'll tag it just to make sure spoiler[die for real when they're destroyed, it'd be kinda raw if that masochist girl ended up dead.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

*breathes in deeply* Oh yes! A full on harem anime, unashamedly ecchi, with largely uncensored make outs, with a kind of crazy plot. Sure I can like deep shows, but this is the flipside, as a yuri fanboy this is something I have to watch. What comes to mind is something like a setting like Cross Ange, the character dynamics of Akuma no Riddle, and the lack of fear of showing some kissing of Sakura Kiss. Only we get a setting that does not seem too bleak, and uncensored boobs in the make out sessions. But right now I really do not know what the full character of the quiet girl is like.

I assume we will see a bunch of different types of yuri character tropes played around with, such as different partner types. Also that super energetic ED also has me interested because I am actually a fan of EDs that let them selves be chibi and such like that. Yes I am in. Whether you call it a guilty pleasure or what, this has me.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
ShiroYo wrote:
If I will follow this? Hell yeah, because when I watch this I see more than just boobies and asses flying around the screen, what I see is the fulfillment of a man's dream, the dream to deliver T&A free of the harem and censorship shackles that taint our 2D muses in present days. Takaki-sensei, director-san I salute both of you.

Issei... I think you're in the wrong anime Laughing

But seriously...
Quote:
Genres: action
Themes: fanservice, yuri

... made it an instant watch for me. Every season needs a trashy fan service anime that you can turn the brain off when watching. The yuri theme is just a massive bonus!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
So you grab a timid teenage girl off her high school track, knock her out, throw her on a island beach. Then you "test" her by throwing lethal weaponry at her to see if she survives or something. Was Mamori expected to survive or something?

Of course by surprise another older woman is injected into the scene who just happens to have the ability to save and "drive" her. For some reason the newcomer has knowledge of what is going on. So the rulers of the island throw an even more murderous weapon (with a mentally unbalanced wielder for good measure) at them to "test" them.

Orientation is for sissies I guess.

About the "virgin" joke. Wouldn't Mamori have already dealt with that all through middle school? Even a moron would have had her swimsuit nametag altered (or removed) to avoid the endless humiliation. Unless she likes it for some reason.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
ep 2, this scenario is cliché and I love it.

We have seen this "betrayed just to get a fight with the main characters" set up, the execution of many other aspects is straight forward but works for this set up of super powered yuri couples having a battle royale-esque scenario.
Souther

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
snip

School of hardknocks bruv. Throw them in the deep end, keeps them on their toes, weeds out the weak. That'll level them up fast. But seriously, yeah, it's harsh haha.

Mamori's voice is almost as unbearable as Funi's censoring. Mirei's dream/flashback was interesting, what kind of war was she fighting? I'm guessing something bad happened to her comrade and Mamori's kind of a replacement for her being unable to protect her comrade.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Let's be honest, the shows tripe and the censors are just as bad as 'Testament of Sister New Devil', just without the cute chibi Maria's.

But I still find myself watching, so it must be of the good kind... Tripe that is, not censors. Censors are never good...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
So just watch it uncensored.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So just watch it uncensored.

I've not been able to find it uncensored unlike the first episode, so maybe it was a "one-off." Or maybe we'll have to wait a day or two for it to be released like Highschool DxD.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Well that was a surprise, Mamoru is 16, but Mirei is only 15, so their ages look kind of the other way around.

I don't tend to be too happy in these sort of anime where the sub shows unwillingness of attraction in the same sex before having it forced on them. But she was able to full on reject one crazy, and have dreams of her soul mate riding on a white horse. Also Mamoru was able to make Mirei listen to her in not hurting anyone, she holds some sway. Maybe I am not too familiar with the pairing type, but it reminds me of Witch Craft works, which I am aware was meant to be yuri before they turned one of them into a boy.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Ep 2.

Ok, well what have we got here so far. Let's see.

The plot is dumb. The animation is cheap and stilted. The first main character is supposed to be lively and innocent but comes off as an annoying whiny clueless pop tart and the other is supposed to be stoic and powerful and the the result is a plank of wood would be more interesting. The supposed sensuality and eroticism is so infantile that you could sell it as birth control; the censors actually did you a favor here. The plot is pathetic, the humor is cheap, insipid and tiresome and the science is ridiculous. I have seen a 3 year old choreograph better fight scenes with his WWE figures. Logic is nowhere to be seen at any level and to the extent that even the set makes no sense.

I never thought I would write this but this is so bad I DON"T CARE if it was censored. At this point I will have to watch a few more episodes to see if it could get any worse. It probably can although I can't imagine how.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
The only reason to watch this was for the tits, watching it censored is wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6