• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Rolling Girls (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
The latest episode felt a bit different...not that I mind it though since I still found it fun spoiler[with the girls and the trouble they got themselves into this time. I can't help but giggle a bit at the end of this episode involving the stone though.]

And also, the spoiler[world fiction of this series is wonderful. So far, it has never ceased a moment to amaze me yet.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

We got a storyline at last! Success! We were bound to have a quieter episode after the utter madness that was the first two.

The episode was fun, but I'm wondering if the 'Rest' characters are dumbed down a little to make the 'Best's' look exciting and crazy. The locales of this world are really amazing... spoiler[Tokyo] looked incredible. If nothing else this show succeeds on Art design alone.

We kinda left on a mini cliffhanger, so I wonder how the spoiler[girls will get out of this one.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Thunderoad does not look like a bad person, but she spoiler[did a bad thing there, getting lost in what she wanted and sold something that was not hers which made her the thief]. On a side note I found myself liking Nozomi more for how earnest she is, and her internal comments about how weird her companions are. Not sure why but I really enjoy it when we see someone who looks innocently sweet on the outside be honestly a little harsh on the inside about what others are like.

What are the chancers that there is spoiler[no Dynamite Bombers, that it was actually her people that did not want her to sell the stone]?

Not sure if I have said it yet, but for some reason I really like the opening of this show. I find myself getting it stuck in my head, it feels like it can be really infectious with its energy like a concert, that it feels like it ends a little too soon. Actually, I think that might be a good way to describe it, it is not like singing has really been a big part of it but it is a lot like one big concert. We have a major star who holds the front position with a number of people supporting them and their own unique theme that each group puts as their identity.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

There was a massive disappointment for me this eppie. Last episode we saw spoiler[the Captain cheat and outbid a cute elf-eared girl for that oversized Rick figure. We saw the elf-eared girl turn away in disappointment. I was hoping this episode she would get it like she would have if the Captain hadn't lied and cheated. But no. Instead the stupid Captain destroys the figure.] This really bugs me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

I thought the episode was fun. spoiler[It didn't leave me without bad impressions and a charming way to the short arc. Some bits of it felt cheesy though imo with the stone but all in all still maintained its world fiction themes.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Called it that spoiler[there were no real Dynamite Bombers]. This series is a colourful watch, and that is not just talking about the art but how music seems to have a place, and I think character interaction is improving.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
That was wonderful - spoiler[a fusion of Kyoto, music, and in general all around fun in Rolling Girls style. I hope this arc lasts at least 3 or more episodes because I'm starting to like these new characters as well.]

The brief action although was short captured a very intense delivery with the choreography.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

This show is too crazy to rationally explain it but it is just so visually wonderful to look at. I can't see us hanging around spoiler[Kyoto for too long as going by the ED, there are at least two arcs left after this one.]

It's a shame but since all the characters have been great so far, I'm not left feeling disappointed as we replace them with each new arc.

Oh yeah, the episode was pretty good too!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
I liked the subtle little Macross reference in the character name, Misa Ichijou. I wonder if they were also trying to tie that in with the music theme of this arc.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or does one of the band members looks like spoiler[Dandy from Space Dandy? A nice song to cap off this episode. I'm going to miss the Kyoto setting tbh.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I kinda like that spoiler[new pirate girl that was introduced from the latest episode. Otherwise, quite a bit of development .....]

As spoiler[Chiaya seems to be an alien...]

Despite this, I hope the show is able to keep its main premise together with the story connected even by plot twists like this.spoiler[ Also, no bike racing this week and a bit of separation and arguing Sad. I hope our characters can keep it together again soon.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Wow, a lot happened this episode..spoiler[from the space accident story to the duel issue challenge by Momo. Honestly, this show has a lot going on but it's so damn entertaining to watch every day.]

Also, spoiler[Kaguya's rage was quite something this episode against Ura's forces was also a fierce to to see this episode. And poor poor Chiaya .... she was about to become alien food. Phew, just two more episodes left but I thought this one took the cake.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Wow, it took me way too long to realise what Momo was a reference to. Was not until she was in the cave that I realised spoiler[her allies were an ostritch (pheasant), small dog (dog), and sloth (monkey), and she was about to fight demons (oni)]. The whole spoiler[peach thing] making it obvious she was spoiler[meant to be Momotaro].

Also, that was quite the story at the beginning of the episode, spoiler[Maccha's] reactions were great.
mbanu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
The first two episodes when compared to the rest seem like an entirely different show; who was involved in the first two that gave it that unique feel? (Have they done any other shows?)
mbanu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Also, did anyone else notice that the OP is a cover of an 80s punk song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AB1vpo1y-Q

Kind of makes me wonder what the show would have been like with men (The Rolling Guys?) -- would it have just been a story about four mediocre dudes trying to find their place in a world of Bests rather than a moe show?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3