• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Lol poor Blood. Some random kouhai appears before Music Girl.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Well, that was a good start for spoiler[Izumi's career. I mean, only 1 year of experience and her sales are doing well at the Comiket]

I kinda felt bad for spoiler[Eriri this episode even though I'm not a big fan of hers. Hope she can make up with Tomoya soon. One thing I wonder though is when that cousin girl is going to show up at this stage. The show doesn't have many episodes left so I'm curious about her role.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
Episoddee 9

Utaha got spoiler[first appearance because she did not get any screen time last episode].

I did not expect how emotional this episode would be. The spoiler[outburst that he had been hurt by Eriri in the past from her abandoning him], was quite strong. I expected cliché, but having it spoiler[turn on itself that childhood friend role was kind of a double edged sword that it actually had a bad experience], actually made it a little refreshing. I guess it kind of fitted into what Megumi said about spoiler[him being the heroine], rather than spoiler[win her over with pretty words or actions, it was kind of better to show an equality of a relationship that they both need to work for what they want in relationships].
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Wait, did spoiler[Utaha break the fourth wall?] LOL.

Amusing episode although I'm not a fan of Eriri in this show. spoiler[Still, I am glad to see they kinda clear the air after that conversation in the second half (had style too with the whole prince/princess gimmick).]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Wow, are Utaha and Eriri ever going to be surprised when Music Girl shows up and steals Tomoya away from right under their noses! With two episodes left. Rolling Eyes
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Wow, are Utaha and Eriri ever going to be surprised when Music Girl shows up and steals Tomoya away from right under their noses! With two episodes left. Rolling Eyes

why are you so fixated on her?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Blood- wrote:

why are you so fixated on her?

The unseen girl is the bestest.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Unseen? Look at what she wears. There's very little unseen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Now that we FINALLY get to meet Michiru, I'm even more pissed off than before - WHY HAS THIS HOT PIECE OF ASS BEEN KEPT FROM US FOR SO LONG???

There oughta be law...

The male gaze was strong this eppie.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or did the latest episode have more fan service than usual? Not counting the prequel, Michiru sure made her presence well known from start to finish this episode.

And oh, I smell a little yandere in Utaha as well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

With this episode we get Michiru, who brings the final touches to the anime story/dating sim, which appears to be spoiler[fanservice and music]. There was a huge influx of fanservice here, and I am sure there must be some sort of meta explanation of why that would be added in this step of the progress.

I tend to get enjoyment in the situations that the spoiler[guy is more freaked out than the girl of a walk in]. Not sure if relevant, but when he was wrapped up in spoiler["keep out" tape], it reminded me of such items being used for spoiler[censoring].

Also not sure, but Megumi did seem to have a spoiler[reaction of looking a little upset about reading the text], although as usual she is hard to read. Which is connected to what they were talking about their spoiler[hero going to a girl's place and needing to make the heroine look more upset].
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11-12/finale:

Well, this was a double episode to conclude the series. spoiler[It gave our last main female protagonist, Michiru and her band the spotlight. Now I have to admit that the song she sung on stage was decent. Some suggestive camera angles and allusions aside, it was kinda amusing in the end; not to mention those teasing cosplays.]

I think Eriri also has more respect for Kato now compared to their first meeting.

Anyways, rating this as decent. Had some problems with the pacing but overall had fun with it. Nothing too special though imo.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
And thus ends my favorite show of the season, in a season with a lot of competition. It didn't end all that strongly, though, and the show felt way over its head when it tried to do one of those high-energy live music scenes. Compared to how cleverly the show twisted things on the other two arcs, Michiru's felt pretty straightforward.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

I noticed that Megumi was spoiler[reading what I was guessing was a scripting book], so the reveal that she was secretly helping in spoiler[putting the game together was good]. Her insight into how of the character sspoiler[miling exactly because she was putting on a brave face] was good. And totally enjoyed the scene later of her spoiler[cheering up Tomoya at the restaurant]. Especially the follow up game dialogue that she both surprised him with reveal that spoiler[she might have had an experience with her own cousin, and saying she understood]. She said it was random, but the real implication seemed to be telling him not to get spoiler[carried away, even though they don't quite seem like an official couple there is something].

Also the return of cliché male best friend with his ear in with what everyone is saying and asking if the lead is dating the main girl. Which of course Tomoya's lack of interest was pointing out.

Episode 12 (finale)

Oh that was a good reveal. Michiru had spoiler[unknowingly joined a band of anime song fan, and had become a fan of similar music]. She was not happy when finding it out, but there was some spoiler[appreciation she saw that there is not an issue when she has such enthusiastic fans]. I instantly recognised when they started with the spoiler[TTGL OP], that is some good music, and reminds me of the importance of it.

Again more wonderful moments with Megumi, like her friendship with the tsundere Erir, and interrupting Utaha's teasing. Utaha was kind of onto that Megspoiler[umi had some responsibility, and she also seemed to warn Megumi that her getting too friendly would put her pursuit of Tomoya in trouble]. But Megumi seemed to take the spoiler[plunge and became a closer to Eriri, and what else but seemed like they are friends, why should a guy be the only reason]. But even when she seemed happy about others really being spoiler[interested in it for the game making, Megumi did not give confirmation that it was her primary reason].

That ending makes me so hopeful for another season. Revealing that it spoiler[was they only completed one route and it was time to move onto another] seems to at least be teasing it.

I will say that this series has been one of my highlights of this season, maybe even my favourites. I really have been a little sick of certain aspects of the genre, that this came as a welcome surprise that gave a introspective look at the harem genre without actually being mean about it. And the heroine, sure as the series says you could see her as boring until she is like a background character, but compared to so many other series exists next to, she actually very interesting. To compare it to another series I might say Bakemonogatari, which ironically Utaha seems to be an expy of its main heroine, both do something interesting with the harem genre where they take many of the same parts and go a bit further.

I rate it as Excellent. What was so great about this was that on the surface it is like a normal or perhaps poor example of the genre, but it is actually rather clever and has quite a bit to say. A big problem is that sometimes it can be so subtle that many are going to miss many of the things hidden and will think people are looking too hard at something. I am rather interested in what some people who mistook this as just a fanservice series based on episode 0, which although did not set trend of fanservice it did set the seeds for how this show would work in terms of meta.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
With these two episodes, I find my idea that this show is a gender reversed take on Haruhi Suzumiya has a bit more evidence in support of it.
Looking back to episode 0. It was not immediately clear that the events had much if anything to do with the series. It was a hook.
Both shows were thematically capped by live music performances.
Aki is Haruhi, the apparent instigator/ driver who is seemingly at the center of everything.
Megumi is Kyon. The real main character. Twice in these episodes I could almost hear Itsuki saying "but the most amazing thing is that Miss Suzumiya chose you."
This was when Megumi was asked why she was there.
She is the true center about which all is revolving.

Or it could be coincidence.

Enjoyed the show, but not to a Must Own level.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4