• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best anime kiss you have seen?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I have been catching up on The World God Only Knows and have been considerably entertained by it. They managed to connect great satire with some genuinely thoughtful dramatic moments, often culminating in a kissing scene.

In fact it seems to have more kiss scenes than any romance does. Aside from the quantity, they seem meaningful even though the artwork is nothing special.

In the past I have mostly been disappointed by anime kissing scenes. They seem to be hard to draw, but also hard to set up the way TWGOK does. Watching this had me browsing through my collection, and I realized how rare a good kiss actually is in anime. Can anyone post up some good examples where it works?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I have commented before that, for all of the romantic elements in a lot of anime series, kissing scenes are are actually quite uncommon. Kimikiss pure rouge is one of the rare anime where kissing is actually a staple. (Simoun is technically another, but in that case kissing one's fellow pilot is a required part of activating their flying ships so I don't count that one.)

The scene below, taken from episode 7 of Romeo x Juliet, is one that I highlighted as the Best Kiss of 2009 and the one that I would first think of when it comes to best all-time kiss scenes. Though one could argue that the production on it is overdone to the point of cheesiness, there probably isn't another kiss scene in anime which has a more effectively dramatic build-up and follow-through. A later episode, where Romeo and Juliet are reunited after a lengthy separation, also bears mention for the beauty of its execution, too.

The following scene, taken from (of all series) Xam'd, was my pick for 2010. It's one of those classic, old-school movie build-ups where the hero of the scene kisses his woman dramatically before going off to do something very dangerous, only in this case the two participants (the parents of the main character) have been divorced for years, so the kiss symbolizes a whole bunch more:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jonespaker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
One of the best my favorite kiss scene from Bleach anime :

[EDIT: No, we will not be posting advertising links and non-relevant video clip lengths. - Key]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote
Thanks for putting two new titles on my "want to see" list. I never even heard of Xam'd before.

It really seems that anime shies away from kissing and have started to wonder why. Of course the characters usually make a real big deal out of it but I think it is partly because that it is just hard to draw convincingly. The typical anime mouth design just isn't that conducive to it. Your two best show a long-shot and an angle where it doesn't matter.

Key wrote:
(Simoun is technically another, but in that case kissing one's fellow pilot is a required part of activating their flying ships so I don't count that one.)

I Forgot about that one, but I recall that one of the girls put something "more" into it. The whole show was something special, though. A yuri fantasy drawn for girls.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
It's just a little cheesy but the champion for me is from Toradora. It's just a slight bit spoilerish to go into details but it is extremely sweet and romantic, plays off the character's personalities perfectly and is a perfect resolution of feelings between the two. No more dodging-this is how they really feel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
It may not be what I consider the best kiss but it is the one that I consider the most memorable and the first one that came to mind, and that is when Naru kisses Keitaro in the playground in episode 23 of Love Hina. It's meaningful for several reasons. One, it's their first kiss, and something that had been building up for most of the series. But second it's actually a sort of bittersweet experience for both, as Naru has decided that Keitaro does not want her and is about to leave Hinata Inn. Keitaro himself was already mired in confusion about whom he really desired and both he and Naru were running away from their true feelings. Between all that and the music leading up to that scene, it always makes me tear up a bit even just thinking about it.

Unfortunately, nothing was really resolved and we had to suffer through multiple OVAs (at least the first one was good, the winter special).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
It's just a little cheesy but the champion for me is from Toradora. It's just a slight bit spoilerish to go into details but it is extremely sweet and romantic, plays off the character's personalities perfectly and is a perfect resolution of feelings between the two. No more dodging-this is how they really feel.

Ah, you beat me to it. Toradora was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the opening post. So, I guess I'll just have to second it. It was a pretty sweet moment in the series.
Dan297na

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Cqhu_BRPc

[Mod Warning: Link is NSFW. - Keonyn]
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm drawing a blank, trying to remember even seeing many kisses in anime. I know I have, but not many of them stuck out to me--mostly it's just been embraces.

However, the best kiss scene I've ever seen was the kiss scene that didn't actually happen. It's from the end of the first season of Sailor Moon when spoiler[Sailor Moon leans over her lost Endymion, nearly kisses him, but stops herself because it wouldn't be fair to the other Senshi who gave up their lives before they could ever have their first kisses]. That moment still floors me after all the times I've watched it.
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Ah, you beat me to it. Toradora was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the opening post. So, I guess I'll just have to second it. It was a pretty sweet moment in the series.

I'll third it. First thing that popped into my mind as well.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I've always been a fan of the Haruhi Suzumiya kiss myself. I mean, it's the kiss that saved the universe as we know it. And the way the brash, loud, and aggressive Haruhi just turns into puddy in Kyon's grasp is kind of cool, too.

But this one from Strawberry Panic is probably my favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Oddly, I can only think of the (intentionally) worst anime kiss I've seen: Yayoi and the lead male from White Album. It's kind of impressive, really, how completely emotionless and unarousing it is. I'm going to have to explain the context a little.

Touya* has been going out with a girl who has just become a pop idol, and part of Yayoi's managerial duties is to keep them apart, because it's bad for an idol's image to have a boyfriend. And because she's so dedicated to her job, Yayoi makes an effort to seduce Touya to keep the two apart. Of course, I'm being generous when I say seduce. I don't think it's even fair to say she demonstrates all the emotion of a robot when she starts making out with him, because I'm pretty sure there have been actual sex robots invented that display more intimate facial expressions during use.

*I think that's his name, but I don't like the series enough to check.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Before I tell the world my choice, I need to make a clarification here on the word "best". This can be anything, obviously and so I wanted to go with the opening's request of "where it works" with...

...Teriel and Sorath from Shakugan no Shana.

Since the mental image is now within your mind, you're welcome and that, my friends, is the best kiss in anime.

You aren't going to forget that one as easily as those pictured above, that's for sure.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
When Misato french kissed Shinji in EoE.
Bonerific.
Best part is that it wasn't incest at all. More of a symbolic kiss of non-sexual affection. Or smth.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Off the top of my head those that come to mind are:

Ai Yori Aoshi
's scene where spoiler[Kauru and Aoi kiss on the beach in the moonlight] I thought was very well executed.

In Elfen Lied where spoiler[Lucy and Kouta kiss in the last episode.] because that scene had quite a bit emotional complexity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2