• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika May Contend for Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
Paprika's not like Perfect Blue-at least in terms of shock value. But it's not as contemplative as "A Scanner Darkly", either. (OTOH, considering the tastes of the Academy, that might end up being a good thing. Rolling Eyes) I guess what it reminded me most of was a Cronenberg film without the pacing issues. Whether that's enough to get it nominated remains to be seen, but maybe the young blood they just added to the voting roster will appreciate it.

I personally don't consider Paprika to be the "best ever", but I enjoyed it more than Tokyo Godfathers, which tried its damnedest to be funny by being as low-brow as possible and running out of steam about half-way through the film. Paprika has the type of wit found in Perfect Blue, but not enough of the suspense. Though it has enough brevity not to over-stay its welcome. It's what I like to describe as Kon's calling card, more than anything else.

To be honest, I think the best recent anime film I've seen is Appleseed. Yes, it's a remake, and yes, the overall production makes you think it was made for cable and not theaters, but it doesn't change its direction mid-way through the film, just because the director suddenly runs out of ideas. I think that's a problem I'm seeing in film in general lately.
Andrez

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:29 am Reply with quote
I agree with Gatsu (above) in that I think Paprika is much better than Tokyo Godfathers, on most artistic levels, as well as in terms of plot and intent.

I've seen nearly all the anime movie releases over here in Japan this year, including the friendly competition at the Tokyo International Film Festival, and in my humble opinion Paprika and Tekkon Kinkreet are the two best for 2006.

Brave Story and Gedo Senki weren't bad... but not quite there, either.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:47 am Reply with quote
If all else fails, maybe it'll get nominated for a Golden Globe. Cool

Quote:
Eligible films must be 70 minutes or longer with no more than 25% live action.

I guess that leaves "A Scanner Darkly" out in the cold. Rolling Eyes
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it wins. American cartoons are so awful now that they don't even deserve oscars or other awards. Hopefully Paprika gets nominated and wins.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Damn, Paprika got shut out of the Annies. I guess it needs more talking animals. Rolling Eyes
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
So far, for Best Animated Feature winners, as Annie goes, so goes Oscar.

The only real change in the race for BAF over the past month has been Happy Feet's triple weekend box-office domination, so it has emerged as a much stronger "dark horse" contender against Cars than even I would have guessed a month ago, when I thought it would likely be nominated but didn't have a realistic shot at winning. Now, I still think it's Cars' race to lose, but it's no longer a lock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Damn, Paprika got shut out of the Annies. I guess it needs more talking animals. Rolling Eyes

No kidding. I'll probably go to see Happy Feat anyway--it has Elijah Wood in it, and at least the penguins dance. But I'm really getting tired of the talking animals. Hopefully Disney's plans for some more fairytale movies will help change the trends a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:36 am Reply with quote
Holy crap. ANS says that the ending theme is up for "Original Song". I'd like to see Hirasawa get his due, but they'll probably pick a bunch of show tunes instead. *sigh* But if "Blame Canada" and "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" can get nominated... Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The good news is it has one less opponent. Luc Besson's Arthur and the Inivisibles doesn't count as a cartoon. Maybe he should have submitted some of his live-action stuff instead. Laughing The bad news is only three films are now eligible to be nominated. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6