• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strawberry Marshmallow DVD 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second_Ignition_Yui

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of funny what he has to say about Miu, given she was watered down in the anime Razz
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
You know what? In contrast to my earlier comments, volume three finally clicked with me. Maybe I just needed to watch it with the right frame of mind. Strawberry Marshmallow is actually a lot of fun when you don't want anything serious or deep and you're willing to watch it with an open mind and not think about what time slot it was originally shown in or what the various promotional artwork was trying to accomplish.

I honestly think that the supposed sexual side is in actuality rather over-hyped. In retrospect, this is really a very clean series that is completely suitable for most kids to watch on their own. Also, even though the older sister takes on the 'dirty old man role' in a couple scenes it's not nearly as bad as you might think from all the off-color commentary this series has received, including from me.

Strawberry Marshmallow may not send every fan into instant anime bliss, but in all seriousness it's really not that bad. Personally, I think Strawberry Eggs is several orders of magnitude worse than Strawberry Marshmallow and yet they both carry the same age rating from Pioneer/Geneon. It just goes to show you how bogus these ratings can be sometimes. Marshmallow could probably pass for an even lower rating while Eggs probably should have been given 16+.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
Patiently waiting for vol 3 plus art box to come in.

Strawberry Marshmallow is turning out to be one of my favorite releases of 2006. It is so light-hearted and funny. I need more shows like this. Actually, Kamichu! fits the bill quite nicely.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I didn't seem to enjoy this volume as much as the previous volumes, but overall it was an enjoyable series. I also missed the Miu slap in the first two episodes of the volume.

I think Kamichu! fits the "cute comedy" bill for anyone who needs more of it.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna go on the record and say that I thoroughly enjoyed the dub for this show... in fact, it was almost surprising as to how much I liked it.

I just really liked the cast from top to botttom... though, it could be that the lack of characters made the job easier on Teri Snelgrove given that she could focus on polishing the individual performances more (since there aren't a lot of actors).

My favorite was probably Cathlyn Merdrek (though, I can't seem to spell her name properly). I just love her take on Miu; the delviery is clean, detailed and energetic.

She's off the hook.

Anywho, this is probably one of my favorite releases for the year... in fact, it's one of my favorite shows now.

ALSO, the animation actually benefits from Geneon's video quality, I noticed... I mean, I was all: "damn, this is so crisp!"

And yes, I'm also waiting for my box to come in as well.

Will have (possibly) long comments when I actually see it...

*gets out to avoid spoilers*
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

Where did you guys order from? I ordered from The Right Stuf, and mine arrived last week.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, I just ordered it recently (I didn't have money when it came out... no, wait, I was waiting for the last GITS:SAC DVD to come out).

NO, wait... I ordered it on the 3rd given that I... well, wanted it to ship with the GITS:SAC DVD... yeah, I think that's why I didn't do it in advance.

So, yeah... it's gonna come in tomorrow, most likely.

Sure hope I get all the LE crap... I love getting stuff that I never really use.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
yeah, I guess if you just ordered it, that would be why it is taking longer. I had mine ordered several months ago.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't like ordering stuff in advance given that... uhh...

Yeah, you might forget that you ordered it and then BAM!

You went over your limit thingy.

Man, I'd better have money in my thing when Super Gals! comes out.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
DKL wrote:

Where did you guys order from? I ordered from The Right Stuf, and mine arrived last week.

Well, mine's on order with Suncoast. It occasionly happens that they get stuff in a week or two late(of the official release date). The manager there has been good to me so I'll give it another week or so before ordering it from RACS, or if I see it at Best Buy, I might just pick it up there. I've got a huge backlog right now so I'm not in too much of a hurry.
Lix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Carlos Santos wrote:
Disjointed acts of cuteness aren't suited to everyone's taste.

Nothing is suited to everyone's tastes. Why you reviewers (and I suppose I speak of reviewers in a broader sense than just ANN critics) seem to portray specific personal tastes as a detriment to a show is beyond me. Some people don't care about exciting action!!!, either, but I don't see anyone putting that as a negative.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Lix wrote:

Nothing is suited to everyone's tastes. Why you reviewers (and I suppose I speak of reviewers in a broader sense than just ANN critics) seem to portray specific personal tastes as a detriment to a show is beyond me. Some people don't care about exciting action!!!, either, but I don't see anyone putting that as a negative.

There's more to that statement than that. Strawberry Marshmallow has a very narrow audience, and there's an extremely specific type of fan that's going to enjoy it. While yes, there isn't anything wrong with that per se, it's only fair to warn people about that.
Lix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
True, but the same can be said for nearly all art house films. It still doesn't make it a negative aspect of the show. Unless I misunderstand the goal of the +'s and -'s, and they're just there to tell us the amount of people that will like the show, rather than giving an idea of its quality for those of us who would care for its subject matter, since subject matter itself is not technically related to quality, or at least that's both what I've been led to believe by education and personally come to believe myself.

Not that "quality" itself is really able to be even ostensibly calculated anyway, but that's a whole other ball game entirely. Smile
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I received it from the same place just yesterday along with Kamichu! volume 3 as well. I've also obtained all the LE pencilboards for Strawberry Marshmallow so I'm even more satisfied on top of having finished collecting the series. Now I'm just hoping to do the same for Kamichu! as well and I think I have only one more volume to go.

Anyway, some comments about the artbox. It's nice and sturdy which I've come to expect from this company which is of course a plus but I would have to say that it's not as aesthetically pleasing as some of their other series such as the awesome Kamichu! one which was one of the deciding factors in my purchasing of that series. Specifically, my very minor complaint of the box for SM is that it seems to have a bit too much pink and Miu and not enough Anna and/or Matsuri :P but I'm just glad that this series even got one in the first place. I always get the volume with the artbox if one is available.

I watched episode 7 of the second dvd yesterday and I'm really enjoying the series so far. It could probably end up being one of my all time favorite series if the quality remains consistent for the remainder.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
It's cute; it's funny; it's well animated.

I recommend this show to anyone:
Whether you're 6, 12, 20, 30 (man or woman).

Who cares what the intention was or the targeted audience.
I mean, if Exxon-Mobil donates 100 million dollars for AIDS research tomorrow, who cares if it was just for publicity and tax breaks?

It's a good thing.

Strawberry Marshmallow is also a good thing.

My wife loves Strawberry Marshmallow and so do two other females friends of mine (lates 20s and early 30s) that I sat down to watch the show.

They loved it!

I definitely rank this show as one of my favorite R1 releases for this year.

"Go, go, girl! Ichigo Love!"

mk2000
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2