• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertising Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
The only ads that I have really had a problem with are the ads that expand on load. This one about the freaking Dodge RAM, or whatever, is the worst! When I clicked to come to this forum page it actually popped up covering half the screen!...I thought that was very fitting. LMAO! Laughing
lkmjr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Those double-underlined text ads have got to go. They totally interrupt the flow of good articles and columns and make mobile reading a huge pain, and they obscure huge chunks of text if you mouse over them on accident.

I haven't had many issues with ANN's ads otherwise. I actually like the skins because they generally look nice and are occasionally informative, but I'd rather not get any like that borderline-NSFW Queen's Blade one from a while back, which made me give up on checking the site while in populated rooms for a while.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for doing this. I like the skins except when they're NSFW (like that Queen's Blade one a little while ago)--I'd like to be able to browse this website in public but I feel like I never know what skin is going to pop up. Nine times out of ten it's okay but that one is pretty questionable haha.

The only ads I have a problem with are the ones that play sound and the ones that expand when moused over. The latter mess up the site for me. The pick-up one people keep mentioning was definitely the most annoying one.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
CeaseActivity wrote:
Good to see we finally get to voice opinions about the underlined in-text ads. They completely disrupt reading, and makes the site almost unreadable on mobile.

Agreed. I'm fine with ads (the site has gotta make money somehow) but those underline ads are the worst.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
The Queen's Blade was one of the best ads! Funimations' Fujiko Mine was nice and Sentai's Majikoi ad a while back was just eye popping. And where did all the Renta! ads go? Laughing I'll click on them too, just to support ANN. But seriously, while there's nothing nsfw, I can understand being discrete. However I think if anyone is worried viewing ANN in public places, wouldn't any article in ANN be potentially "dangerous", especially if you're not familiar with the title? Are you not viewing on your phone or tablets while away? I'm curious how people who do view at work or in front of others get around the article contents...

The rest, about the annoyances with the underline (hover-ing links) and expanding ads I wholeheartedly agree.

relyat08 wrote:
The only ads that I have really had a problem with are the ads that expand on load. This one about the freaking Dodge RAM, or whatever, is the worst! When I clicked to come to this forum page it actually popped up covering half the screen!...I thought that was very fitting. LMAO! Laughing

I also see those Dodge RAM. I figured it was my interest in trucks, cookies from visiting dodge and other sites, so I'm surprised to hear other people report it too. I wouldn't mind the RAM ad if it didn't expand to cover up the page (like some others I've gotten) Evil or Very Mad
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Thanks for doing this. I like the skins except when they're NSFW (like that Queen's Blade one a little while ago)--I'd like to be able to browse this website in public but I feel like I never know what skin is going to pop up. Nine times out of ten it's okay but that one is pretty questionable haha.

Seconded.

I wasn't sure how to answer the ad-blocking question. I don't explicitly block ads, but I use NoScript, which blocks all JavaScript and Flash except for a whitelist of originating sites. animenewsnetwork.com is on my whitelist, but just about all the ads here except the skins incorporate components originating from other domains, so the end result is that most of the ads are blocked for me, even though that's not my primary reason for using NoScript.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I've actually used advertisements featured on ANN to purchase items (namely anime, mostly from Rightstuf).
Funimation has put out some great looking ads, like the one running right now for Cowboy Bebop, and iirc the ad for Ben-To lead to a pre-order since I really liked the character designs.

Unfortunately the scroll over double lined pop-up ads are annoying and only lead to dodgy at best links, I'm sure they give a lot of money put they really take away from my experience using the website.

I'm curious, is there any option to enable select ads from the subscription service? I know it would be an extremely niche user base but I actually like the anime ads featured on ANN but would pay to support ANN and disable the more annoying ads.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
It's difficult to answer this ad survey question solely in Yes/No: "Do you find the skins on ANN are acceptable advertising?"

Generally, Yes - but I re-encourage you guys to consider NSFW-ness of some of the artwork and language of the skins.

That Queen's Blade ad a couple weeks ago had giant boobs over half exposed along the left side of the page. In the more distant past, there was the Sekirei ad with "BOOBIES FOR THE WIN" emblazoned across it.

I know that you can force specific skins to appear on the site, but I like the rotation. It's just that sometimes you guys allow content that goes too far across the NSFW line and even having it pop up one time could be a problem for people.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I have AdBlock Plus enabled, but I don't subscribe to any overall filters; I just block particularly-annoying ads as I see them. The thing is, though, my block list goes back years, and I have no idea how much of ANN is getting blocked, since I can't recall seeing most of the worst offenders that people have mentioned. I should try disabling it and seeing what-all displays. I fully agree with the consensus that those in-text ads are pretty much satanic, since they just destroy the page if you're unfortunate enough to hover over one.

Maybe it makes me an oddball, the the type of ad that honestly annoys me the most is the full-page ad skin, like the current Bebop one. I didn't mind them so much when a new one was put up once a week or so, but over the past year, it seems like we get a different one every single day. And even that wouldn't be too bad if not for the fact that every change overrides the default skin, and in doing so screws up how I prefer to view the forum. I have things set up to use as much horizontal real estate as possible, but every new skin changes that to a narrow column of text surrounded by whatever random background color the skin has, instead of nice soothing ANN blue.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I use Ad Blocker but I have it turned off for ANN (I think I did that back when you had videos, because it wouldn't load those correctly with it turned on). I use NoScript to block some, but not all, ads on ANN. I tried turning off NoScript back when the site last asked us to try that out and it just didn't work. Too many pop up ads brought on by rolling over something on accident and ads that hung my browser up. I'm willing to allow ANN to run ads that don't mess me up but I agree with some of the others that the site has too many ads that are questionable on if there safe or not and/or if they make reading the site a hassle.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I'm a subscriber (at the moment), but I've used ABP since we started getting fanservicey site skins that wouldn't pass what I would consider SFW. Until those skins are banned, or non-subscribers can choose to keep their blank skin (I hate having the skins at all, myself) permanently (not the current "it'll stay until a new skin comes up" option), I'm never turning off ABP.

Well, if that's your threshold, then nothing on the site is guaranteed SFW as many articles contain similar imagery. But it is working in one way since the skins did motivate you to become a subscriber right? I'm assuming because you blocked it, but you wanted to give something back to ANN.

Actually, no, I was gifted a subscription, and decided I had fun in the Community forum and had extra cash at the time I subscribed. And I'm smart enough not to open news articles that are going to have NSFW content. Coming to the site and having NSFW content emblazoned all over it makes me wonder why I'd even come here over Crunchyroll, who seems to get the news out faster.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I use Adblock Plus, but ANN is whitelisted from it.

For the most part, I'm alright with the ads that are featured (the banner ads and ad skins) but, on rare moments, I do have a problem with that Dodge commercial ad that expands unexpectedly while loading. Plus, I'm not all that comfortable with those in-text ads that obscure a good chunk of text when they're moused over.

While I do prefer seeing more ads that have to do with anime, manga, and other instances of Japanese culture, I fully understand if ANN has to allow unrelated ads to run to keep the lights on.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm okay with the ads for the most part. However I have trouble when the ad includes a video and I'm trying to type a forum post. It lags and it'll make letters I type not show up. I suppose it might just be my computer, but it's got decent enough specs that it shouldn't be a problem.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for caring enough to ask us. =D

The only ads I can't stand are the ones that load when you ACCIDENTALLY mouse-over them, the ones that play sound when you didn't click on them to play them, and those completely useless underlined-word ads (I think they're from Infolinks or Konterra or some company like that). Those underlined ads are never on point. Whenever you click on one, the ad leads you to something that's almost a non sequitur.

Other than that... non-anime and non-manga ads are okay, but they should probably be for Japanese culture-related things. That's why most of us are here, after all. =D
Felis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I use Adblock Plus but I whitelist ANN and a few other websites that I frequent the most. I like the full page skin ads such as the current Cowboy Bebop one. Most of the time I see anime/manga related ads when I check the site, and that has been helpful finding out about products that I didn't know about or forgot about.

I do not like those "Around the Web" click-bait ads or those double-underline word ads. I think the "Around the Web" ads are stupid, plus I don't trust the sites they take you to, and I will never click on them again. The double-underline word ads can be annoying, but I suppose I can tolerate them.

The Dodge RAM ad that others have posted about is incredibly annoying. For a while I was getting that ad alot and had to take ANN off my whitelist. I haven't seen it again lately so I put ANN back on my whitelist, but if it comes back I will not hesitate to start blocking ads again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4