• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Luffy Leads in One Piece Character Poll

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see Luffy take the #1 spot, as it's actually kind of rare for the lead in a Shonen Jump series to actually be the most popular. As for my favorite, I can't really say as I enjoy them all as a whole. I will say that I really enjoyed East Blue villain Captain Kuro, though. I sometimes wish there was a way to bring him back, as he was last seen sailing around with his crew, but we all know that will never happen.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Interesting to see Luffy take the #1 spot, as it's actually kind of rare for the lead in a Shonen Jump series to actually be the most popular.

Yeah, but it's by less than only 400 points ahead of Law so he's just barely holding onto that spot.

I'm kinda surprised Sabo didn't rank a lot high. 5th isn't bad, but I was thinking something closer in vote numbers to Zoro and Sanji.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Law this year.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The gap between 1st and 2nd place...
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
Poor Robin... she is severely under-rated. She should be in the top 10 at least. Sad
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
I love how Eiichiro Oda is in 50th place.

I was expecting Trafalgar Law to be extremely high in the polls this year, comaprable to Luffy if not more so. This is his story going on in the manga right now, after all, and Law has proven to be an incredibly popular character.
Keyl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Poor Robin... she is severely under-rated. She should be in the top 10 at least. Sad

Eh, she was still 11th, the controversy should be Marco being higher then Usopp.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Hey, Usopp is my favorite character, and I don't mind at all. The REAL travesty here is Bepo being higher than Jinbe.

EDIT: The One Piece Podcast has compiled the results of the previous four polls. Looks like Luffy has always been at the top. Trafalgar Law being in 2nd is the biggest upset, as Zoro has traditionally taken the 2nd spot.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
I'm suprised Bartolomeo has ranked top 10. I guess it has something to do with him being a representive of one piece fans.

I like many characters but if I have to pick one, it will be Usopp without doubt.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
Considering the target demo of the manga, the male characters always dominate the top spots. Which is why I LOVE that Boa Hancock made the top 10!! Very Happy (but yeah, also surprised that Bartolomeo made the top 10, I guess it's because he's funny?)
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that the protagonists tend to take the top spot in Japanese polls, whereas side-characters tend to take the top spot in Western polls on the internet most of the time. In One Piece, I actually might assume that Luffy could take the top spot in either, but in series like Naruto and whatnot, seeing Naruto in first or second place was nothing, even if he wasn't as popular among many of my own friends in high school back then.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the last poll was conducted in 2008, it should come as no surprise that there was such a flux of characters that broke into the ranks of the top 10 this time around. The only disappointment for me was my girl Robin not making the top 10, but Boa Hancock made up for that. Sabo and Ace making it into the top 10 was a pleasant surprise. The last thing I hope is that we don't have to wait another 6 years for the next popularity poll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Luffy has always been number 1 in the popularity polls so it would be a major shock for him to lose that spot. Traditionally Zoro and Sanji are 2 and 3 but I am in no way surprised to see Law so high up especially how huge of a character he has been these last two arcs. Sabo is the biggest surprise to see him break all the way up to number 5. I am actually glad to see Bartomeleo in the top 10 because I love him as a character he is most definitely my vote for next nakama purely for the comedic aspect he would bring to the crew. Seeing him fanboy out over everyone and all the different reactions it would cause would be hilarious. Also his power would be extremely helpful so there is that. I will agree that Robin being all the way down to number 11 does suck because she is my dream girl in the series. Out of any of the women in One Piece she is the one I would want to be with by far.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Boa still showing she quite popularity despite not showing up awhile in OP.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
My favourite characters in the series are the ASL trio, so I'm quite happy to see the three of them in the top 10! Very Happy

I also think Law deserves the second spot considering his importance in the last two arcs (which can be read as one, actually) of the manga.

I wished a higher spot for spoiler[Corazon], but as a character not appeared in the anime yet (and being just presented in the manga when the poll closed) he did amazingly anyway.

Lastly, I'm amused at Bartolomeo ranking so high, and I vote him for next nakama too! Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2