• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Evangelion Anime Footage Debuts in 7th Animator Expo Short

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Well at least it's confirmed that Evangelion 3.0 is in the work.

I can't tell if you typoed or if this was a joke.
But it made me laugh anyway. Anime hyper

The third film was most definitely the one I felt most personally invested in. It probably helps that I saw it in theaters in Japan. I hope the fourth one comes out at some point while I'm in Japan again.

Sorry did I wrote Evangelion 3.0, I meant Evangelion 4.0 (or whatever the next Evangelion film title is). Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
The short should just be one giant apology for 3.33 that completely retcons it.

It was a complete betrayal and derailment of the movie series.

No artist needs to apologize for taking their work in a direction that they've chosen. The idea that an artist can "betray" their own work is baffling to me.

Dont worry about him. He's always like this. Just agree and nod your head and he might go away. It's best not to defend your opinion on the matter, lest he condemn you to hell for it. I've said this in many threads before, but that's one hell of a grudge to hold on one 90 minute movie, nearly THREE years after its release. Kind of makes me wonder how much free time someone must have to show that much dedication. It's impressive, really. I can't even begin to imagine what the thread for the actual review will be like.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying these shorts, but I can't shake this feeling that Anno commissioned them just to keep Khara's staffers busy while he's still figuring out what to do with the final Rebuild movie.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
don't worry about him. He's always like this. Just agree and nod your head and he might go away. It's best not to defend your opinion on the matter, lest he condemn you to hell for it. I've said this in many threads before, but that's one hell of a grudge to hold on one 90 minute movie, nearly THREE years after its release. Kind of makes me wonder how much free time someone must have to show that much dedication. It's impressive, really. I can't even begin to imagine what the thread for the actual review will be like.

Yeah, don't defend your opinion, just state it and leave it completely without support! Makes complete sense.

The third Rebuild movie does nothing with the characters, nothing with the plot, completely puts the breaks on the momentum of the previous movie, doesn't answer a single question about anything, wastes a lot of time with padding, has that ludicrous, comedic giant airship, and every character is the same at the end as they were in the beginning. The action isn't good, the music is pretty unimpressive for Evangelion, and that time skip was completely pointless. We still don't know thing one about Mari, neither she nor Asuka have more than four or five lines, and it feels completely pointless.

If you have any arguments to the contrary, by all means, go ahead and express them. But otherwise don't come after mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Anno-san, now I'm craving 4.0.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
The 「機密情報」 hidden data unlockable in the second Evangelion video game reveals the most and was given a ton of direct input by Anno himself.

Thanks! Just bookmarked a Japanese page where it's reproduced. I'll look into it when I get a chance (and maybe give 3.0 another spin afterward). While I do not think it's a good thing to hide critical information in a spinoff work that general audiences may never see, I am interested to see what kind of light this may shine on the film. Also, this game has been around since 2003, so it's not like any surprises it may hold are being suddenly pulled out of the ether to justify 3.0.

Quote:
And though this is mostly fan-speculation, the preview from 2.0 seems to actually be a sneak peak into what happened between 2.0 and 3.0 while Shinji was asleep. The narrator pretty much explains what happens in the preview. =P

That's kind of what I was hoping for; that that stuff wasn't abandoned entirely. Would've loved to have seen what was going on with Rei spoiler[standing (protectively?) in front of several of her clones.]
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
We still don't know thing one about Mari

Interestingly, the manga has just finished and a friend of mine said that it reveals the role of the new films (either confirming or discrediting the biggest fan theory out there about the film series being a spoiler[sequel and not a remake]) and also has a bonus chapter at the end that tells us who Mari is/was. I do know the mangaka was given knowledge of the entirety of the films and tied in some of the writing of the manga with the films as they were released, so I think it's likely that we can trust it. Anyone wishing to spoil yourself, you know where to go!

vanfanel wrote:
While I do not think it's a good thing to hide critical information in a spinoff work that general audiences may never see, I am interested to see what kind of light this may shine on the film.

I think it's the way it was partially because of overly-focused writing, where Anno spent way more time writing about the characters, sacrificing time and care on the plot itself. It might've been done purposely that way, so the films could be doing the same thing. That's why I think Eva 3.0 is the way it is. For me, it's never been a story about characters being developed in a positive light, but about an exploration of depression, anxiety, stress, selfishness, individuality, etc. in the context of a really interesting futuristic-mecha-fantasy setting. That's why the characters bounce up and down all the time with each new focused conflict, and partially why they skip several years--because it forces Shinji into a new conflict where he ends up in contact with Kaworu, a beacon for him in the original series, and similarly, his guiding figure in the film series who reveals the truth to him while letting him decide what to do for himself in a world where everyone is telling Shinji what to do.

It's just a personal interpretation, but as the writer, I don't think Anno is unconscious of it, so I hope to find some credibility to my thoughts in the fourth film's conclusion.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I think this short confirms that the rebuilt movies are a sequel to End of Eva rather than a remake
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I think this short confirms that the rebuilt movies are a sequel to End of Eva rather than a remake

It was clear after the first movie (to me, at least) that it's a sequel and not a remake. There are lots of little additions and changes that tell you that, but to each their own, I guess.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

It was clear after the first movie (to me, at least) that it's a sequel and not a remake. There are lots of little additions and changes that tell you that, but to each their own, I guess.

Yeah the first movie pretty much told me the same thing. This however sealed the deal for me, and even if not true, I choose to believe it regardless Cool
High on Muffins

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The third Rebuild movie does nothing with the characters, nothing with the plot, completely puts the breaks on the momentum of the previous movie, doesn't answer a single question about anything, wastes a lot of time with padding, has that ludicrous, comedic giant airship, and every character is the same at the end as they were in the beginning. The action isn't good, the music is pretty unimpressive for Evangelion, and that time skip was completely pointless. We still don't know thing one about Mari, neither she nor Asuka have more than four or five lines, and it feels completely pointless.

Seriously? Were you seriously expecting a big action-fueled sequel to 2.0 that nicely answers every single question you might have? Is that the kind of film you wanted to see? This is EVANGELION we are talking about here. More questions will be raised than answered and none will be answered directly, and that's just the way we EVA fans like it. 3.0 was made confusing ON PURPOSE, Anno knew what he was doing and that it would make some feel frustrated by the new direction of the film. The film showed everything through Shinji's eyes, it made us just as frustrated about the lack of explanation and the character's indifference as Shinji himself was. It made the audience connect and feel what HE was feeling throughout the film, following Shinji's journey as he completely breaks mentally and emotionally. This isn't a series that will hand everything to you on a silver spoon, it will purposely confuse the hell out of you and make you connect the hidden dots for the plot yourself. Instead of handing you everything on a silver platter it will go the exact opposite direction you expected instead. Also, the music isn't good? Evangelion 3.0's score is quite arguably the best out of all three films as of now, some of Shiro Sagisu's best work as of now.

{Edited out your excessive cursing and a rude sentence/personal attack or two - Psycho 101}
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
High on Muffins there is no need for the profanity or the rude attitude. The rules clearly state that. Since you are new here I encourage you to please read the rules for this forum before posting again. You are certainly entitled to your opinions and are welcomed to post them even if they are different than others. From now on though present them in a more civil manner. Thank you.
High on Muffins

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
High on Muffins there is no need for the profanity or the rude attitude. The rules clearly state that. Since you are new here I encourage you to please read the rules for this forum before posting again. You are certainly entitled to your opinions and are welcomed to post them even if they are different than others. From now on though present them in a more civil manner. Thank you.

I apologize, I did censor the two offensive words but I agree that I should not have included them here at all. This is the way I'm accustomed to talking to friends and such so I thought it would be fine here. I'll make sure not to do so again in the future.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
High on Muffins wrote:

I apologize, I did censor the two offensive words but I agree that I should not have included them here at all. This is the way I'm accustomed to talking to friends and such so I thought it would be fine here. I'll make sure not to do so again in the future.

I can relate. I am more liberal with my words amongst my friends as well. Here though we do ask everyone be civil and polite so I appreciate your understanding in the manner.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:
don't worry about him. He's always like this. Just agree and nod your head and he might go away. It's best not to defend your opinion on the matter, lest he condemn you to hell for it. I've said this in many threads before, but that's one hell of a grudge to hold on one 90 minute movie, nearly THREE years after its release. Kind of makes me wonder how much free time someone must have to show that much dedication. It's impressive, really. I can't even begin to imagine what the thread for the actual review will be like.

Yeah, don't defend your opinion, just state it and leave it completely without support! Makes complete sense.

If you have any arguments to the contrary, by all means, go ahead and express them. But otherwise don't come after mine.

*in my assertive voice* I have already tried, desperately, to defend my opinion. Many, many, MANY, times. But you're mindset is set in stone, I know that nothing could possibly change it. Did you not read my comment? I said I'd attempted to discuss it with you reasonably many times before, but that never got me anywhere.

So don't turn MY argument around on me. If you want to go back and look up all of the old threads for proof, go ahead. But I'm definitely not going to.

And then of course you gave us your obligatory paragraph detailing all the reasons why you dislike the movie, complaints we've heard in nerly every Eva related thread you've appeared on. As if we haven't heard them enough. It's like you just post a generic hate comment and wait for the inevitable sucker who argues against it (in many case, that's me), just so you can post your copy and pasted arguments once more.

And by the way, if you ever actually happen to see this post, sorry it's so incredibly late. I just came across this article again today for some reason. Random web browsing I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3