• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Parade (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Did they actually definitively say which person went where?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Did they actually definitively say which person went where?

The masks above the elevator say where the person goes. If you think that the mask is above an elevator no matter what, the other week when both reincarnated there was two of the same masks.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

The masks above the elevator say where the person goes. If you think that the mask is above an elevator no matter what, the other week when both reincarnated there was two of the same masks.

Ok, this seems to be confirmed by the analysis in this answer:

Contains image spoilers...

spoiler[http://anime.stackexchange.com/a/18991]

I do wonder if there is any relevance to the fact that one of the masks is oni and the other one female when they first come down the elevator. Is it just due to the pairs always being man and woman (in the anime?). It seems like the OVA had two men, so that explanation wouldn't work there.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Note that the pairs following on from the 1st episode are not actually shown coming out of the elevator, so it's probably safe to say that the doors they come out can have whatever mask there is with no discernible outcome on the judgement to come.

Next week's pair is two males, so you'll have an answer depending on whether or not the producers are willing to show you the relevant scene.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd definitely say best episode so far. I'm glad that they're not limiting themselves to only pairs who knew each other in life, it gives them many more options. And you can add me to the list of people who cried during this episode, particularly once spoiler[Yousuke started crying], and when spoiler[Decim hugged them both while comforting them.] Crying or Very sad

So next episode we finally get to see at least two more of the characters who appear in the opening. And one of the participants is a child? Quite curious what's going to happen there.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Well...all my posts and discussion are gone. Wonderful. This sucks. Server issues indeed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
*lost post summary*

Mayu in opening.
Mayu is fun despite being gaudy.
Me want Mayu back on.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 was pretty good, a nice change of pace from the stick in the mud Decim and his boring bar.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 1 was the best of all the episodes so far

the rest -- up to episode 6 was alright :/ I

**usually there's a welcome section for new members to introduce themselves but i didn't see it, so I'll just start posting then Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
**usually there's a welcome section for new members to introduce themselves but i didn't see it, so I'll just start posting then Laughing

Look for Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index) at the top of the anime page. Although that is a hyperlink so kind of defeats the purpose of saying where it is. Anyway, welcome to the forums.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Look for Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index) at the top of the anime page. Although that is a hyperlink so kind of defeats the purpose of saying where it is. Anyway, welcome to the forums.

Thanks.. i didn't see that within all the sticky threads and other threads.

I thought they would have a separate section for it.

Also this forums is kind of cramped (too small) than usual-- The Main forums page

Was it always like this?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Also this forums is kind of cramped (too small) than usual-- The Main forums page

Was it always like this?

I don't quite know what you mean by "too small", this anime section tends to have some traffic about current airing shows, usually dependant on time. If you think that the last posts look like a while ago, well it seems to be bad timing as we just had probably the biggest hiccough I have seen of the site and it was knocked out for the weekend and about a weeks worth of posts got lost, about the first time that has happened.

I was pretty happy with the post I did for this series last week too, but it is not something I have really seen happen before.

Also check out the Daily Streaming Reviews at the top of the page by looking at "New Anime", Death Parade is being reviewed there also on a weekly basis (staying on tiopic), and you can split talk about series between the topics here and the ones for the ongoing reviews.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Was it always like this?

I don't quite know what you mean by "too small", this anime section tends to have some traffic about current airing shows, usually dependant on time. If you think that the last posts look like a while ago, well it seems to be bad timing as we just had probably the biggest hiccough I have seen of the site and it was knocked out for the weekend and about a weeks worth of posts got lost, about the first time that has happened.

I was pretty happy with the post I did for this series last week too, but it is not something I have really seen happen before.

Also check out the Daily Streaming Reviews at the top of the page by looking at "New Anime", Death Parade is being reviewed there also on a weekly basis (staying on tiopic), and you can split talk about series between the topics here and the ones for the ongoing reviews.

I meant the general layout of the forum. I'm not sure there is an option to change it or not

but the forum only took up about 1/3 of my laptop screen. The general layout-- everything is smaller (cramped) in a way for me

I was an admin of a website back then (Joomla based) , had to do daily back up via Filezilla. No one likes it when they lost 1 week worth of work/posting so I understand your pain.

well.. Thanks for the help.

**sorry for getting off topic

I'll browse around a bit to see where the functions are.

as for Death Parade-- i hope the future episodes are like the first one.
spoiler[
Decim made the wrong judgement with that newly wed couple there...]
[/img]
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Hah! Good ol' errinundra gave me this idea. I found my old post cached using a Google search. I'd mainly like to keep this for prosperity. It's something I strongly felt about at the time and it took a while to type.

To anyone else who wants their cached conversation, here's the link I found for page [4/5] from a few days ago. And here's page [5/5], which is still missing some of the conversation, but hey, at least it's not totally lost.

-----

Originally posted February 11, 2015:
To quote myself from the Talkback thread:

Quote:
@_Cyphon_
There are several issues that I have with the afterlife judgment system in Death Parade.

First of all, from what it sounds like, this is an irreversible decision. Even if the arbiters f*** up and realize that they f***ed up, there's nothing that can be done once the decision has been made, if the 2nd episode can be taken at face value. It's horrifying to think about, the cavalier attitude of "oops, I made a mistake, oh well everyone makes one." You just sent a person to the Void. I imagine anyone who acclimates to that job has to eventually adopt such an attitude else it eats you alive, but the implications are horrifying. Perhaps the show will turn things on its head at some point and reveal that the Void may actually be the preferable option of the two. At this point, all I can interpret is that you're basically wiping someone from existence and determining them as unworthy of any mercy. And its a judgment made using an unfair, biased system with ambiguous criteria and rules.

At what point did Misaki become unworthy of reincarnation in Decim's eyes? Was it before even playing the game? He's able to view moments from her life, he should be able to judge her based off of that. If so, what's the point of playing a game where your life is at stake? He says it's to get to the person's true nature - to bring out their darkness - when put under pressure, however: (1) when you push someone past their breaking point it should be pretty damn obvious how the person is going to react based upon their history; (2) the pressure is unevenly applied. These games are biased against certain types of people.

The odds were always against Misaki in this situation. She was put into a situation that reflected a lot of the grief she suffered in her life: powerless against a man (both Yousuke and Decim, in this case). Yousuke had the edge - being more experienced at games - and they both knew it. Decim never went to the trouble of antagonizing Yousuke like he did Misaki. He states directly to her that life is full of unfairness and that she should know that quite well. He popped the ball off of the stick at just the right moment to send her over the edge. I agree with Onna that he's an instigator dragging the darkness out of them, or rather Misaki in this case. To me, it looks like he already made the judgment of where they were going to go before they even started playing and was just confirming everything. In which case, why drag it out? It's cruel and unfair.

Had he genuinely tried to drag the darkness out of Yousuke, he would have introduced things that sent Yousuke to his lowest point. Perhaps created an avatar of his father telling Yousuke that he's worthless and never wanted him. He would have induced the loneliness and despair that Yousuke felt in his darkest moments. But, apparently, suicide is not an act that would send someone to the Void, at least in Decim's eyes, despite the fact that it does cause harm to those left behind and that he also "wasted his whole life due to his misjudgment and unwillingness to change" (not that such harm can be compared to what Misaki suffered and forced others to suffer since she was an active abuser). Or maybe the fact that Yousuke felt guilt over it in the end and realized the harm he caused was enough to earn reincarnation. (But, wait, Misaki also showed regret for what she'd done and made an impassioned plea to be sent back to her kids, which cause Decim to widen his eyes and state, "you've done well." What's that mean, especially since given the outcome?) However, not bringing Yousuke to the brink and seeing if he'd still feel guilt and remorse when driven to the edge is unfair and biased in Yousuke's favor. Misaki is allowed to suffer, but not Yousuke.

Okay, so once again, we come back to physical abuse. Perhaps that's Decim's pass/fail test. Understandable, and I don't necessarily disagree. In which case, why the hell was Takashi from the first episode allowed to be reincarnated? He intentionally hurt his wife during the game, and afterwards - once driven to the brink, similar to Misaki's case - lunged at her intending to cause physical harm. The only reason he didn't was because the wires held him back. But I highly doubt, with as far gone as he was, that he would have stopped himself. I wonder how willing people would be able to forgive him if allowed the chance to see him physically abuse and strangle his wife. Yet he earned reincarnation. What about his situation was more deserving of sympathy than Misaki? A man brought to the brink because of he got "confirmation" of his doubts that his wife was cheating on him (wow, that's totally understandable, what a cheating hussy) vs. a woman, with a history of abuse by men, brought to the brink after being thrown into a situation where the men had all of the control (totally unacceptable, she should learn to control herself). The situation is even more messed up with what was revealed in episode 2.

Once again, if the judgment was already made based on Misaki's history, then why the heck put her through that? Why play these games?

Frankly, I disagree with the Void/Reincarnation system (or at least the way it's being treated at this point in time, where one serves as a "punishment" and the other a "reward" - I might be more open to it if it takes on a more Buddhist interpretation). There's no room for rehabilitation, which I feel people like Misaki would be better served. She's in a nasty cycle of abuser and abused, something that's hard to escape without a helping hand. She wasn't entirely a monster. She felt remorse after coming back from the brink and requested that an ambulance be called for Yousuke. Perhaps she wasn't a good mom, but she did care for her kids, evidenced by her regrets and remorse after realizing she was dead.

In the end, I have now seen two women get screwed over by this system. Machiko was unjustly judged as being unworthy of Heaven/Reincarnation. Yes, largely due to her own devices for convincingly acting out the part of the cheating, cruel wife. While it's understandable that he didn't completely understand the situation, it is still Decim's fault for judging her incorrectly. And in a moment of fridge horror - whelp, sent her to the Void, too late to do anything now - we see that these judgments are permanent. This isn't life in jail with the possibility of parole. This isn't even death (which isn't actually an end, just another bump in the road). This is the Void. Which, as far as we know, has no hope of return. So, too bad, so sad, but you just don't deserve to exist anymore. And now in Misaki's case, she had to suffer an unfair and biased trial, which seemed stacked against her from the beginning. And, from what it seems, she barely had a chance for Reincarnation in the first place.

So, yeah, I have several issues with the afterlife judgment system in Death Parade at this point. It's still a very interesting series, and I appreciate it for making me analyze it like this and help me define where my own mores, sympathies, and boundaries lie.

@Psycho - So a woman who was spoiler[abused and used her whole life by men, who despite being in an abusive relationship still stayed around to raise her kids (the scene where she's breast-feeding her child while sitting on the ground with dead eyes and a bruise on her face is horrifying), is suddenly unworthy of reincarnation when she's put under extreme duress? It wasn't like those were her actual kids on the screen, they were avatars representing an attack in a game where she now thinks is a game of Life or Death. Suddenly, that's no better than the man who abused her? Seriously? A cry of frustration in an extremely unbalanced and unfair game is equal to an abusive husband/boyfriend?]

Also, Yousuke and Misaki were not treated equally. spoiler[Yes, they both had their knobs removed, but the timing and circumstances were extremely different. Yousuke's was before they were under the assumption that they're fighting for their lives. Misaki had to suffer antagonism by Decim that she knows all too well about unfairness (in a sort of, "sucks to be you, oh well" delivery that causes her to beg for help in her head and relive flashbacks of her worst moments), and then have the head of the knob popped off when she was already at a disadvantage against Yousuke. It was cruel and unusual punishment.] Yousuke wasn't nearly pushed to the brink like Misaki was. Nothing to make him relive his darkest moments.

---

EDIT: Also, another take-away message about this system is that it's just waiting for you to f*** up your life. That everyone is destined to the Void at some point, you just need to be reincarnated enough times until you live the sort of life that will send you there. Hopefully you aren't reborn in a family of Islamic extremists next time.

I could just see it now. People in the background keeping track of the scores. Wow, we've got a new record here! 100 reincarnations! I win the bet guys, hand over the money.

I agree with vashfanatic here. I don't think there's ever a reason to deserve eternal punishment. People are shaped by their genetics and environment. If they f***ed up this life, they can hopefully do better in another.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
I think willag and the others raise some interesting points, especially about the eternal punishment. Because I don't know how this Death Parade world works yet, I cannot make any judgment at this point. For all I know, there is a limited number of souls that can live on the planet and somehow there are still new souls made, hence the possible need for a system.

Or maybe reincarnation is just not possible for everyone? For some reason?

The last thing I'd like to add, is that we don't ever exactly see what happens to the people who walk in the elevators. Or if this judgement chamber is the only one, if there are 'second opinions'.

I'm glad I didn't have the ambition to become a lawyer. Even if there is no death sentence here - a person punished for several years may not ever get the chance to learn from his/her mistakes. Life span is an unpredictable thing after all. In many cases evidence isn't 100% reliable.

I'm not proposing or thinking that punishment is a thing that should be banned. At all. But judging others does come with consequences that aren't always the intended ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8