• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Parade (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
I think willag and the others raise some interesting points, especially about the eternal punishment. Because I don't know how this Death Parade world works yet, I cannot make any judgment at this point. For all I know, there is a limited number of souls that can live on the planet and somehow there are still new souls made, hence the possible need for a system.

Or maybe reincarnation is just not possible for everyone? For some reason?

Hopefully Castra has an answer for the emphasised portion.

Some religions don't believe in the concept of reincarnation, so screw up once (environment or otherwise) and that's it. It might not be fair or equitable, but the series doesn't make any bones about the world's inequalities.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Hah! Good ol' errinundra gave me this idea. I found my old post cached using a Google search

I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. I just get error 404's out of my attempts. :/ I miss the days when google had their cached pages right there at the click of a link.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to post my old responses as I was having a good conversation.

Quote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 4

Some debate if the choice was right that spoiler[[he reincarnated and she go to void]]. Could it purely have been from their reactions to know their true nature, spoiler[[when his stick broke he kept playing and she felt lucky for it]]. With the super spoiler[[attack she called her children who could not help her weak, only keeping the love on the one who could help her (the baby)].] Followed by when her spoiler[stick broke she went into a rampage, something quite shocking]. And when hespoiler[[did his super attack he looked very appreciative of his stepmother].]

I think this right here is what determined her judgment ultimately. spoiler[Even when she responded in violence initially given her person hell she lived through I think she could have been granted reincarnation. But when her kids super attack happened she called them weak. Minus the baby. She insulted her own kids just as Yousuke's mother insulted him. In that moment she became no better than the men who had abused her. Her violent rampage after it when her knob came off sealed the deal. She became the same as the people who hurt her. No amount of apologies would fix that. Decim said she did well but I see that as him acknowledging the fact she realized she had become that sort of person. And as I said apologetic or not she had crossed the line.]

Yet with Yousuke he responds spoiler[to his knob coming off not giving up. He ultimately admits he was selfish for not giving his step mother that small simple favor. He never had animosity towards her nor was he mean or violent, just indifferent and closed off. I think he was so scarred from his own biological mother's words he didn't know how to show affection to the step mother. He ultimately let his depression and self pity win out which resulted in his suicide. I think his regret was more genuine and beyond the regret he truly felt bad for wasting his life and taking it as well. Misaki asked why is she always deceived. Why me. To me that means she felt she should be pitied. Where as Yousuke never felt that way. He felt ashamed by his actions and felt sorry for his step mother. I think that is why he was given reincarnation but Misaki was not.]

As for episode 5, it's interesting to see the other characters. spoiler[It seems there's multiple floors to the building there with different departments and other managers like Nona. I wonder how many other Arbiters there are. Do they all have a unique name for their own bars? Do they all have their own unique powers? Do they all have an assistant? Are the games the same from bar to bar or are they unique to each bar also?] And most importantly where the hell can I get a billiards set like that one? o_O

And to respond to you willag...well we had our discussion on it back and forth so I can try and respond again if you like. Or we can just keep going from episode 6 as we know what we said. Your call m'lady.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Quin, the former arbiter.
She was a total opposite of Decim.
Pretty relaxed episode.
Focused mostly on the past.
At least some things make more sense now.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Great spoiler[background info] episode. spoiler[Didn't care about the pool game much but it's shown that Decim is more like an alias serving as identity mark for the arbiters.]

Also, I wonder what spoiler[Nona is planning though? Because whatever it is may take place very soon according to her cryptic dialogues...especially the one relating to 'not much time left'.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Ginti is still stuck with the airhead so he gets a taste of what Decim is going through.

I'm not sure if the series contradicted itself this episode, when spoiler[the assistant told herself she was dead (plus brief flashback) even though it's clear from weeks ago that Decim could not judge her at first because she knew she was dead to start with and hence could not be put through the death-game sequence. ]

That off-hand comment made by Nona way back in the first episode looks like it's going to come into play soon.

It seems the main theme running through this series is the concept of a system coming under increasing strain due to insufficient capacity to process the demands being placed upon it.

On an irreverent note, it looks like Decim managed to fix his bar damage from 2 weeks ago.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I'm not sure if the series contradicted itself this episode, when spoiler[the assistant told herself she was dead (plus brief flashback) even though it's clear from weeks ago that Decim could not judge her at first because she knew she was dead to start with and hence could not be put through the death-game sequence. ]

I think they spoiler[removed the rest of her memories when she knew that she was dead during judgement], but now she seems to be spoiler[getting some memories back, and the book was enough to realise she is dead].

Nona is spoiler[keeping it secret from her boss that Decim breaks the rules as an arbiter, and maybe even that the assistant (a human soul) is also helping]. The assistant seems to spoiler[have a strong connection to that book, I think Nona is planning too use her to help lead Decim, and it looks like her boss is on to them]. Now she has spoiler[panicked to make them move quicker].
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I think they spoiler[removed the rest of her memories when she knew that she was dead during judgement], but now she seems to be spoiler[getting some memories back, and the book was enough to realise she is dead].

A brief refresher from two weeks ago:

Ginti: That's the woman you couldn't judge? Why?
Decim: She remembered she was dead when we met so I couldn't lead her into the game.
Ginti: Does she have any memories of her life?
Decim: No. From the moment we met until now she doesn't remember a thing about her previous life.

What happens this week:

Assistant spoiler[reads the book and gets a flashback of herself. She then says to herself, "I'm now dead" ]

I think I missed something halfway.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Figures that the arbiter with the least visible emotions would be the one infused with real human ones.]
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:29 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 7:

Great spoiler[background info] episode. spoiler[Didn't care about the pool game much but it's shown that Decim is more like an alias serving as identity mark for the arbiters.]

Also, I wonder what spoiler[Nona is planning though? Because whatever it is may take place very soon according to her cryptic dialogues...especially the one relating to 'not much time left'.]

In regards to the first point, while the pool game was a bit of an interlude, it was one of the few moments that I paid attention to the background music, there was a rapper muttering something, the only part I heard clearly was 'You are not free"! I suspect this is referring to the arbiters and found it to be a little chilling.

spoiler[Considering the perspective of the arbiters, there are two interesting parts. Firstly that Nona mentioned arbiters have never died, which means they were created but since we see newbies then this means they are created somewhere. Mere speculation at this point but I wonder if they use the disgarded "dummies" in order to achieve this?.

Second part. They do not experience emotions but only one character actually seems to be outwardly unemotional. Whether this is a plot hole or not, having all characters like Decim would make a boring show, why would this be a stipulation. At this point it would only be a means as a form of control. So why do you need to control the system in such a way? A power trip from the guy who used to be closest to god?]

Lot to go at here, I love shows like this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
spoiler[Second part. They do not experience emotions but only one character actually seems to be outwardly unemotional. Whether this is a plot hole or not, having all characters like Decim would make a boring show, why would this be a stipulation. At this point it would only be a means as a form of control. So why do you need to control the system in such a way? A power trip from the guy who used to be closest to god?]

And ironically spoiler[Decim is apparently the only one that has actual human emotions].
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably comment more soon but the latest episode had spoiler[murder involved based on the background stories. And we are also back to the gaming boards again with some air hockey.]

Really curious to see how this game's winner or loser will be though. spoiler[Highly anticipated with these two characters - Tatsumi and Shimada.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[New players and a weird air hockey game.
Each score was a memory retrieved.
The female apprentice showed interest in being more involved.
Interesting how it's not all about the couples anymore.
Guess it's open season now.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
This is the first double-header of this series and it's shaping up to be something that's going to accelerate the pace of this series to its conclusion.

Interesting how Nona and Decim came to the same conclusion that spoiler[humans whatever their background can be subject to judgement. ] However Decim's inexperience in this matter might well count against him, especially as he's spoiler[granted his assistant's request to view the guests' memories. ]

Interesting that the assistant gets to spoiler[receive memories like the arbiters do. ] The mechanism isn't elaborated upon, but someone really needs to remember who she is or she's won't be going anywhere.

Does Decim really believe what he said? spoiler["There's no such thing as a human who can't be judged? ] I suppose he has the expression and thick skin to pull that off given his assistant's circumstances.

I thought the detective's voice was familiar, after checking the credits and doing a little cross-referencing I was right. Same voice actor as spoiler[Psycho Pass 2 Toogane Sakuya ], probably a good fit since it's a similar fictional occupational role.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

The first double episode story. I was actually theorising spoiler[towards the end that both of them were a killer, and that seems to be the case]. Has me wondering if spoiler[they are both connected, the photo that the detective was looking at could have been the other guy]. I wonder if he spoiler[blamed the detective for what happened to his sister, killed his wife, and the last thing they remember is walking towards each other].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8