• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven AO DVD ONLY

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Were you asking the guys working in the washing machine section?

Either they were screwing with you, thought you were talking about VHS tapes, the archaic HDDVD format, different region players, or they worked at the worst Best Buy in the world. CD's and DVD's will play on Blu-ray players and the DVD's you play on them tend to look better than on a standard DVD player.
It was awhile back soi I don't rember but I do rember asking about DVD/BLu-Ray combo player prices before i got disgusted with myself.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
Is this thread for real? I thought we were in 2015, not 2007.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Were you asking the guys working in the washing machine section?

Either they were screwing with you, thought you were talking about VHS tapes, the archaic HDDVD format, different region players, or they worked at the worst Best Buy in the world. CD's and DVD's will play on Blu-ray players and the DVD's you play on them tend to look better than on a standard DVD player.
It was awhile back soi I don't rember but I do rember asking about DVD/BLu-Ray combo player prices before i got disgusted with myself.

It must have been awhile back and there was probably some confusion with who you were speaking to with them thinking you wanted the HD-DVD format that lost out to Blu-ray as those 2 formats were not compatible. All Blu-ray players nowadays can play regular DVDs. I've got a sony BD player that plays my DVDs fine and a BD player in my PC that also plays DVDs with no problem. Prices for BD players have also come down. If you still dont want anything to do with BDs and only want SD (standard definition) you could always buy E7:AO off iTunes in SD format.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
until I am covinced otherwise I will not reward companies for bad behavior.

"Bad behavior"? Really?

FUNimation is offering you a format that looks better, sounds better, and holds up better than DVDs ever will, AND with their combo packs they're even throwing the DVDs in as a bonus for essentially nothing. How exactly is that "bad" behavior? Confused

Also, the guy at Best Buy who told you that you would need a special player to watch DVDs is an idiot. ANY bluray player you buy will play ANY DVD or music CD you put into it, no questions asked. And odds are it'll look a lot better than if you played it in a regular DVD player, thanks to upscaling.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
animalia555 wrote:
until I am covinced otherwise I will not reward companies for bad behavior.

"Bad behavior"? Really?

FUNimation is offering you a format that looks better, sounds better, and holds up better than DVDs ever will, AND with their combo packs they're even throwing the DVDs in as a bonus for essentially nothing. How exactly is that "bad" behavior? Confused

Also, the guy at Best Buy who told you that you would need a special player to watch DVDs is an idiot. ANY bluray player you buy will play ANY DVD or music CD you put into it, no questions asked. And odds are it'll look a lot better than if you played it in a regular DVD player, thanks to upscaling.

Supproting Mandatory hardware updates and forced obsolescene is bad bahavior. And like I said I'm not a graphics whore and the visual update is relativly minor form everything i've seen. It certainly isn't enough to m,ake me lay down limited funds for a new player.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
@animalia555
Let me get this straight, a failure to conform to your specific taste in electronics constitutes bad behavior on the part of the industry. Way to go my lord emperor. I also like your phrase "graphics whore". A nice way to denigrate anyone who has different taste than you, making you a winner.

Look at it this way, there is a market for Blu-ray players and Blu-ray disks. If there wasn't the format would cease to sell. Granted a few people may be deluded by marketing but that would not be enough to sustain the market.

From a practical point of view, you should just go ahead and buy the combo sets. Sooner or later your current DVD player will die. At that point you can buy a Blu-ray player. It probably will not be any more expensive than a DVD player, if they are still available.

I don't care for the combo sets either. I have no use for the DVD copy and their inclusion just bulks up the case. However Funimation does not care for my opinion any more than they do yours. Their concern is for the overall market which seems to tolerate this format. The only difference between us is I'm not so silly as to miss out on something I want otherwise just because I don't like the package.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Supproting Mandatory hardware updates and forced obsolescene is bad bahavior. And like I said I'm not a graphics whore and the visual update is relativly minor form everything i've seen. It certainly isn't enough to m,ake me lay down limited funds for a new player.

You should probably explain your situation a little better. I get where you are probably coming from when you are talking about forced hardware updates. My family has a projector that is capable of 1080i and has no problem watching HD channels on cable with it. It was sold to us with the idea that it would have some future proofing being able to display at 1080i. However, it wont play any BDs at HD quality because it lacks the HDCP (DRM) that most devices come with. BD players instead force the quality down to less than 480i and on a giant screen the video looks more like a moving impressionistic painting than video. Basically, our old DVDs on a DVD player look far better. The attitude of the industry to people whose hardware could display HD, but did not have HDCP was "tough luck, buy a new display". I could understand the attitude if we were talking about an old CRT-TV (we had a giant one like for 20yrs), but the projector equipment was newer and very expensive. Older Projectors weren't the only HD capable equipment that got shafted, there were many people with older rear projection TVs that were capable of 1080i but did not have HDMI connectors that got screwed too. Punishing customers that buy products legally and not offering some kind of intermediate solution ticks me off.

As far as the visual and audio upgrade its very noticeable to me. However, the better your equipment the better your experience. If you only have the speakers on your tv and no soundbar or surround speaker system then 7.1 DTS-HD audio wont do anything for you and if you have an older CRT or one of those "near HD" screens (some were just 480p, but I vaguely recall some that were 1024x640) that they were selling when HD-TVs first were starting to appear then you wont get much benefit from 1080p HD either. If your funds are limited that's fine, but bottom line BD players will play both BDs and DVDs and you will eventually have to replace your DVD player so buying Funimation's combo pack wont make you lose out on anything.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Sorry but I am not a graphics whore. I reallly had no problem with VHS quality to be honest (outside of the pause screen that is).

By chance, do you also not have a flat screen TV? I mean, I didn't see much of a difference either until I got an actual HD TV.

Quote:
IAnd you claim Blu-ray's the hot new thing, but outside of combo packs like these I have been able to get DVD for practically everything I can get on BLu-Ray. That would suggest that DVD is neither dead or dying and until I am covinced otherwise I will not reward companies for bad behavior. Also you said one person making these descions won't make a difference. While that is true if multiple people feel the same way and act on it it WILL make a difference. I am just doing my part.

Companies that offer combo packs are not being "rewarded" for offering both. It they offered one they would offending the ones that wanted the other but if they offered and had to market both they end up with a problem when one format isn't being sold enough to make it profitable.
and please think about it, they are producing twice as many discs and the price difference isn't really at such a premium. They are working a pricing scheme that says it's more economical to market something in a combined format than market the same product in two formats.
Yes, it is a bit expensive but only some of that is the double format, it's mostly expensive because it's a first release and fans will buy it at a more expensive price.

It's not bad behavior. They're not out to get you. Anime is a narrow market and companies do what they can to make a profit and not go under.

If you want to save money, wait two or three years and buy the inevitable "complete series" release in a smaller package. it will still be a combo pack, because consumers holding onto the DVD format are keeping the prices up on both of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animalia555

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
It's not just money its the principle of the thing. Also While I may not have a flat screen my parents do and I have watched TV on it. So I know what I am talking about. For some people that difference may be a big deal but to me it is really negilegible.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I guess that's your perogative, but it does seem selfish.

You're asking Funimation to offer DVD only releases even though they say (and I tend to believe them) it loses them money.

Combo packs are their way of saving enough money so they can keep producing dubs with quality actors and offer video extras (such as they are) on just about every thing that they offer as well as produce decent packaging.

As I said, if you don't like it, wait. They might offer a DVD only S.A.V.E. package eventually (I recently noticed that's what they did with Princess Jellyfish, even though that was originally a combo pack).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akaname

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Is this thread for real? I thought we were in 2015, not 2007.

Yeah this complaint seems contrary to most I've seen recently where it's been no blu-ray=no thank you(which is usually my stance.)

The OP seems especially ignorant concerning new technology. Even my mother knows dvds can be viewed on a blu-ray player. And she didn't(would never) have to go to Best Buy to learn that.
Anybody who can search the web would know that this series is only available in the US in a combo pack.

I think you're all being trolled by someone who doesn't even have basic control over the English language:

Quote:
IThat is a sham as a perfer to support official releases when I can
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:18 am Reply with quote
Ggultura2764 wrote:
The series is only available via DVD/ Blu-Ray combo releases. Only time a recent physical release would be DVD-only from Funi would be if they can't immediately gain Blu-Ray rights to it due to whatever Japanese company they get it from fearing reverse-importing.
Or if they initially release it on Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray+DVD combo, but later re-release it only on DVD for whatever reason.
Spastic Minnow wrote:
As I said, if you don't like it, wait. They might offer a DVD only S.A.V.E. package eventually (I recently noticed that's what they did with Princess Jellyfish, even though that was originally a combo pack).
And also both seasons and the OVA of Baka and Test, as well as Guyver -- as discussed here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2