• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
More convenient to adapt shorter light novels into anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I've been thinking about this for a while since discovering http://lndb.info.

Upon seeing the smaller lesser known novels the are only 1-2 volumes long, I wonder if it would be more possible and maybe even more convenient to adapt those novels rather then something like Haruhi or something with a lot of volumes. If you make an anime of 11-13 episodes and if it sells well, maybe just maybe you'll get a season 2. But it's still really not enough if you want to adapt something like say Baccano! which has 20+ volumes and counting and you want to tell the whole story (Which is what I think anime fans want more of, anime like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.)

If you adapt something like a 1-2 volume light novel, it's more stress-free in way. You have less source material to work with so it's much more possible to make a 13-episode anime and still be something good or noteworthy. Which makes me wonder why Japan isn't looking into something like this. What's the point of doing a 13 episode anime of long running light novel story if you only have 13 episodes and that's it? Wouldn't it be more convenient to do a 1-2 volume light novel instead?

[EDIT: Made the thread title less long-winded. -TK]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
You didn't mention this, if you already know I apologize for bringing it up.

The point of adapting long running and unfinished novels and manga is to promote the manga. If you adapt a finished work it doesn't work as well. The audience has seen the full story and there's not much incentive to buy the books.

Because this topic serves a cross purpose, you could probably ask a mod to move this to the anime section and it will get a lot more discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MoonSttar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Like Spastic Minnow said most of the animes are made just as another way to promote the light novels/ mangas take btooom! or spice and wolf for example or campione! (Diomedea! Stop releasing 4 shows in one season and get your ass on Campione! season 2!.....)
*Coughs and calms down*

There is also one more reason. And that reason is money. It's a lot more profitable for them to adapt a long series then a short one. I mean just look at haruhi or the monogatari series that prints money for shaft (That goes double for you Shaft! Get your ass up and release Kizumonogatari already!!!....)
kimmie22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Yep, agree with Spastic, too.
The unfinished novel promotes the manga and in turn, the manga promotes the novel.
Everyone acts on their curiosity so there's not thing interesting to have already known the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1