• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Late Night Chaos Rebellion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Thanks, it is apparently just "growing pains", something that needs to be worked out.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Erm, Brady, don't say Tales of Hearts R for 3DS. It makes me sad, since you probably meant Vita. It was never released on 3DS, even if I originated on the system in Japan...

You also mentioned Ace Combat for 3DS, so you either meant the enhanced version of Assault Horizon coming to Japan at the end of the month, or something totally not on 3DS...
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the issues with the new HTML5 player. I (somewhat naively) replaced the creaky old flash player with just the default HTML5 audio tag, which I thought would be sufficient for our needs. Unfortunately, every browser renders this differently, and some of those built-in players really kind of suck.

Gonna replace it with an actual programmed HTML5 player as quick as I can. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Annoying movie talk ends at 1:03:32. 30 whole minutes, only officially.
There's actually a lot more movie talk after that. Anime podcast indeed.

Now, allow me to explain (speculate) why Sailor Moon Crystal is a giant TURD. It's most likely on purpose. TOEI does not own Sailor Moon, but they do own Precure. They make a lot of money from Precure so why would they risk taking fans away from Precure? TOEI has no interest in Sailor Moon being a hit, because it's in competition with Precure.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Annoying movie talk ends at 1:03:32. 30 whole minutes, only officially.
There's actually a lot more movie talk after that. Anime podcast indeed.

You must've really hated it the other 8 billion times we've talked about movies at the request of our listeners over the last 5 years.

Also: your theory about Sailor Moon is completely wrong but there's no convincing conspiracy theorists so I'm going to go back to work instead.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also: your theory about Sailor Moon is completely wrong but there's no convincing conspiracy theorists so I'm going to go back to work instead.

I may be mistaken, sure. But I'm pretty sure that Toei does not take all the profits from Sailor Moon, because they don't own it. It's much more profitable to sell a show and products that they own completely. This is the same as Kyoto Animation is doing: adapting LN that they own. They take all the profits and can make any changes then want to the material.
Why do you say I'm completely wrong? Do you know something I don't?

PS: I did hate it, still do. But at least you give an estimate to which part I can skip.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I am somewhat open to the idea of Toei just kind of shitting out SMC as a contractual obligation. There's just no care or deft handling of the thing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Why do you say I'm completely wrong? Do you know something I don't?

Yes. I'm pretty sure I can answer in the affirmative for this question.

Business doesn't function that way. Toei isn't "intentionally tanking Sailor Moon to boost Precure". Toei would stand to rake in a ton of cash if the show were a hit, so they have an interest in making the show a success. The company as a whole isn't spending enough on production quality in general - this is reflected across a whole lot of their animation. The question is not "are they behaving like weird vindictive children and intentionally trying to lose whatever they invested in this show just to spite it and somehow that will mean Sailor Moon fans will become Precure fans instead" - because that's an anime forum fever dream scenario cooked up by people who have never and probably will never work in the entertainment business. The question is "why isn't Toei spending on animation production in general". Sailor Moon Crystal being a tortured production is only 'common knowledge' in that the show was delayed a lot, has a weird release schedule and appears to be at the least neglected when it comes to quality control, but the reasons why are not public information, and deciding on some conspiracy theory you yanked out of your rear end as "the most likely scenario" based on absolutely zero information or evidence and then spreading that around like it's plausible is, well... I guess that's the internet.

Anyway, like I said, back to work.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe the abysmal quality of Crystal isn't intentional. Toei have always been cheap (they figured out how to use up 90 more seconds in each Precure episode by using more recycled footage), but come ON. If they do stand to make a lot of money on Crystal, it's even stranger.
I know you haven't seen it, so might think it's the same level of bad that many shows have, but it's way beyond that. And with 2 weeks for each episode, there's absolutely no excuse.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
On Funimation getting so many streaming series:

I am all for competition that benefits the fans, and I am happy that Funimation seems to be doing very well. This being said, I am concerned for the only other company that can keep up with Funimation in terms of the volume of physical releases: Sentai.

I do not want Funimation to monopolize the North American anime home video market*. I ideally would like the home video market to be controlled/divided among companies in this manner: Funimation 30%, Sentai 25%, Viz 10%, Aniplex USA 7% and the remaining 28% be divided among NIS America, Discotek, RighStuf/Nozomi and new companies that might come into the market.

*I am assuming Funimation would have the inside track to add home video rights to the streaming rights of series they want to do physical releases.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
@Zac
Since I'm the one who brought up skipping the movie talk, I'd like to clarify things. I don't hate when you discuss movies, it just doesn't mean anything to me. I don't watch theatrical movies and I don't watch live action either TV or movies. I just don't enjoy them. I have no problem with your discussing movies, but I do like to skip over it when it gets concentrated.

I'm a reader not a watcher and anime is an exception for me. I have yet to figure out why I like anime since I don't watch anything else.
daichi383

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The terrible quality of Sailor Moon Crystal also owes a lot to the fact Toei have literally all their good inhouse animators and freelancers working on everything else they have on at the moment other than this. Animators like Naotoshi Shida and Naoki Tate are wasting their time on their Avengers show, Nishiki Itaoka is forever stuck working on precure, Ryo Onishi and pals were working on Toriko but are probably on some movies right now. It's absurd. From what i've heard these guys all prefer the shows they are working on.

Dunno if its to do with it maybe sucking working on Crystal or what but that must be it. The only good animators that have touched the show are Shida on the opening, Yuki Hayashi who did Usagi's posing after each transformation and Hironori Tanaka in episode 9 but he's a freelancer. I gave up after episode 5 but man that thing is particularly annoying especially since they ecpect viewers to wait weeks inbetween for something that looks that bad. It's a waste really. Maybe they should have waited till they had more of their good staff free but then the announced World Trigger ...

Confused
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I am somewhat open to the idea of Toei just kind of shitting out SMC as a contractual obligation. There's just no care or deft handling of the thing.

I do think that SM Crystal is likely a similar situation to that of the Souten no Ken/Fist of the Blue Sky anime from 2006. The Blue Sky anime had been in development hell for a couple of years by the time it finally got created, and the really rough animation (even when improved on DVD), outright skipping of some episodes during its TV run, and apparent behind the scenes issues really made it seem like A.P.P.P. just wanted to finally be done with it & didn't care about how it came out.

I'm guessing Toei is in a similar situation. They're not purposefully trying to sabotage it, but considering how long it's been in development before finally being made, combined with the online-only airing it has in Japan & the two eps/month schedule, SM Crystal may just be Toei wanting to finally get it out since they have the opportunity to do so; even if the initial product is sub-par they just want it done with finally. At the very least, the home video releases do apparently fix a number of the notable visual issues, so Toei does care about the property, but the original airing just seems like a "Let's just finally get it out" situation.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I do have to say it's a bit odd to see an anime podcast focus more on general movies and stuff than anime. Seems really weird.

DmonHiro wrote:
I can't believe the abysmal quality of Crystal isn't intentional. Toei have always been cheap (they figured out how to use up 90 more seconds in each Precure episode by using more recycled footage), but come ON.

I doubt Toei purposely wants Crystal to fail, but I have no doubt they're purposely more concerned with Precure since that's their big money maker with girls. Comparing PreCure's transformations with Crystal's is almost embarrassing.

I would say One Piece, but One Piece looks like crap half the time, or maybe their animators just have trouble working with Oda's art style. But either way, they're stretched thin enough as it is, and if they have to choose one series to flake off on, it'll be the web-only streaming series that nobody really asked for to begin with.

-Stuart Smith
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I do have to say it's a bit odd to see an anime podcast focus more on general movies and stuff than anime. Seems really weird.

Well it's a good thing 90% of the time we talk about absolutely nothing but anime. Saying we "focus more on general movies and stuff" is totally inaccurate.

Sometimes we talk about movies. I give you timecodes so you can skip that part if you're so inclined. That's it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3