• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Europe Picks up Honey & Clover

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
This is very good news. I have renewed hope now for those of us in Region 1 who would like to watch this series. I feel that it has a chance of coming here legally in my lifetime Very Happy
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Lucky Europeans!

I can only hope this means Viz will pick up the manga and anime here in the U.S.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we'll see it here later if the european release gets good sales.

*crosses fingers*
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Even though it's only Europe this is still a pretty good sign that they'll consider bringing the it over to America. Then again, the manga is probobly popular in Europe while it isn't even licenced in America. Hopefully Viz will at least release the manga over here.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't the Bleach liscense first announced for Europe and then later for North America?

Considering how much smaller the market is in Europe for anime and manga vs North America, I can't imagine that they'd release a title like Honey and Clover over there without putting it out here too. It just doesn't make logical sense to me.

I love shounen action series as much as the next guy, but my collection needs more titles like this one.
domino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
About time someone licensed it SOMEWHERE. With all the junk that reaches American shelves, I'm amazed that someone hasn't gone after licensing the good stuff. Honey & Clover is one of the best shows I've seen in a long, long time and deserves to pop up on shelves around the world.
Shuichi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Actually, it's Tokyopop Germany. They have ties with Shueisha so a lot of stuff that would be under Viz in the US (e.g. Death Note, Bleach, Ichigo 100%) is held by TP.de in Germany.

TOKYOPOP Germany also said in January that they are trying to get the German rights for the Honey and Clover anime. Their new programm for april - july 2007 will be announced soon. I hope H & A will be accounced, too.
Belmot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:00 am Reply with quote
Shuichi wrote:

TOKYOPOP Germany also said in January that they are trying to get the German rights for the Honey and Clover anime. Their new programm for april - july 2007 will be announced soon. I hope H & A will be accounced, too.

Actually the said they try to get the rights if the manga sells well. in the meanwhile they are also in negotiations for the german rights of the Bleach anime.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't the Bleach liscense first announced for Europe and then later for North America?

Something like that happened, yes. The first reports from C21 Media that Bleach had been licensed came from Viz Media BV in Europe around March 9 (with no mention of Northamerica), but the official press release from Viz on March 15 was for both Europe and North America.

If Viz doesn't have Honey and Clover for North America then it looks like it would be the only Viz Media BV property for which that is the case. I have really high expectations that this is another pre-announcement leak from Europe.

[good grief, a year to make my first post here? Yikes.]
shawurai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Something like that happened, yes. The first reports from C21 Media that Bleach had been licensed came from Viz Media BV in Europe around March 9 (with no mention of Northamerica), but the official press release from Viz on March 15 was for both Europe and North America.

Well Viz doesn't have the right for all of Europe. France has its own companies for that. Kaze is the one that has the license for Bleach in France. They announced they had the rights for Bleach on 27/10/2006. While they already announced another title I'm more willing to get, Nana, on 03/10/2006.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Actually, they do have the rights to Bleach in all of Europe, North America, South America, and Oceania (ref. animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=1602).

But my point was merely that the last time there was a leak from Viz Media BV it was a harbinger of a much bigger announcement to come. Last time it was just 6 days later, but I don't think we'll be that lucky this time.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:08 am Reply with quote
I find the name "Viz Europe" to be a bit of a misnomer considering in the UK they still don't think we're good enough to be treated decently unlike TokyoPop UK and Tanoshimi who distribute Del Rey's manga [and who I believe are also planning to have Del Rey's releases in the near future be as simulataneously close to the American releases as possible and cheaper as well!]

It's ridiculous that Viz Europe can't even be bothered to set up a office in the UK to cover what's a major growing market because if TokyoPop and Del Rey can see that there's a market for anime and manga that's growing by the day in the UK and are willing to take advantage of it by setting up offices, why can't Viz instead of doing it through a third-party... Is it any wonder that I get my Viz manga on import and I find it hypocritical that I can order back issues of Shonen Jump from Viz's online store in the States but I can't get an official subscription!
Shuichi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quote
Belmot wrote:
Shuichi wrote:

Actually the said they try to get the rights if the manga sells well.

No they didn't
This is what Jo Kaps said in the animey-chat in January:

Quote:
[18:58] <Ta> Werdet ihr neben dem "Honey and Clover" Manga auch den Anime veröffentlichen oder dahingehend kein Interesse?
[19:02] <Tokyopop> Wir sind an dem H&C-Anime dran, wissen aber noch nicht, ob wir ihn bekommen.

(http://www.animey.net/specials/17)

And as you may know, the manga got released 8 months later in Germany in september.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
http://www.kfccinema.com/ notes that Viz America has the live-action movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2