• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why don't we ever see any Japanese anime bloopers?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that usually we get to see the VA fudge up their lines in the english dubs, but why dont we ever see the Japanese ones? I've looked all over online for some Japanese anime bloopers, any, but I can't find any. Are they just rare or do the anime companies just not release them?
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
@Tempest_Wing The Japanese aren't the most humorous people around. I won't claim to be a master in Japanese voice acting affairs, but I know a bit about Japanese culture(s). They're a bit more reserved and conservative than American culture(s) and such, it would seem that voice bloopers are seen as over the top.

Americans as a whole are a wacky, crazy people and a such, tend to be more open to things like bloopers, whilst the Japanese are more serious and calm. Well, most of the time, at least!

Does this help?
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
@Tempest_Wing The Japanese aren't the most humorous people around. I won't claim to be a master in Japanese voice acting affairs, but I know a bit about Japanese culture(s). They're a bit more reserved and conservative than American culture(s) and such, it would seem that voice bloopers are seen as over the top.

Americans as a whole are a wacky, crazy people and a such, tend to be more open to things like bloopers, whilst the Japanese are more serious and calm. Well, most of the time, at least!

Does this help?

yep thanks.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but think that this was an Answerman question at one point or some sort of discussion that was had on these forums. In terms of voice actor bloopers, it may be regarded as disrespectful to do that to the VAs. It destroys the professional image. In America, humor that insults/makes fun of people is more accepted (see Simpsons, etc). And bloopers are, in a way, making fun of the VAs and the mistakes they made during the recording.

Of course, anyone is welcome to correct me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I can't help but think that this was an Answerman question at one point or some sort of discussion that was had on these forums. In terms of voice actor bloopers, it may be regarded as disrespectful to do that to the VAs. It destroys the professional image. In America, humor that insults/makes fun of people is more accepted (see Simpsons, etc). And bloopers are, in a way, making fun of the VAs and the mistakes they made during the recording.

Of course, anyone is welcome to correct me.

Huh? What's Answerman? If you don't mind me asking. Isn't it a bit of an exaggeration that releasing bloopers would destroy their professional image though? Everybody makes mistakes, it's not the end of the world.
RommieSG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Add to the fact that they generally record the lines before the animation happens. So they don't tend to save the flubs, and focus on getting the right performance before they animate. Sometimes they change lines on the fly if a different performance comes across better.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Japan is a shame society as opposed to the guilt society of most of the western world. To the Japanese, public shame is the height of losing self-respect. One of the ways you can see this most easily is in Japanese comedy, the comedy is often based on embarrassing behavior and traits that are inherent or are of no fault of their own but practically never about ridiculing a person's actions as shameful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
I heard that Japan is indeed a bit touchy when it comes to bloopers wrecking public image. They force it on the American side, too, which is why you don't see dub bloopers on disc much anymore and they only show blooper reels at cons.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
And the Japanese tend to record lines as a group instead of individually. They just do the show straight through, with actors alternating at the mic, kind of like a live performance. There is a DVD extra of a session on one of the discs I have (Planetes I think?), and an actress totally flubs her line, and everybody just continues like nothing happened, because they have their own stuff to do. If this is standard procedure, bloopers would be very boring.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
If you want to hear the Japanese VAs being all silly and stuff, listen to the audio commentaries.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
@Tempest_Wing The Japanese aren't the most humorous people around.

Ugh not true at all. Have you seen their silly games? Japan is a lot funnier than America.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
RommieSG wrote:
Add to the fact that they generally record the lines before the animation happens. So they don't tend to save the flubs, and focus on getting the right performance before they animate. Sometimes they change lines on the fly if a different performance comes across better.

Actually, AFAIK they usually record over the animation just like English dubbers do! You can see it in behind-the-scenes stuff, like this promo for Inuyasha that briefly shows the screens they're working off of. (I've seen better examples but I can't find them right now, sigh.) The main difference is that they record together, instead of separately like what is typically done for English anime dubs.

That being said, yeah, I'm guessing it's just due to cultural differences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lupica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
If you collect any live seiyuu event DVDs you'll often find bloopers; they don't edit them out of live shows and performing dialogues on stage in front of crowds of thousands of fans is a recipe for some really funny mistakes. They don't tend to include this kind of thing on regular DVDs because they can sell the event footage separately to seiyuu fanatics at full price and it's not viewed as the most interesting kind of bonus for a general audience. I've been to some seiyuu events myself and some of the mistakes get hilarious - if you've ever seen a professional voice actor trying to do a wolf whistle as part of the script while giggling too much to be able to make the sound (and having other actors ad lib heartless reactions to the mistake) you'll see that they most certainly do have a sense of humour.

I never listen to the dub blooper reels any more; they often feel so forced. The occasional mistake is fine but when people just start messing around because the company wanted more extras on the DVD, it just feels like a waste of an extra unless you're a big fan of the individual dub actors.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Huh? What's Answerman? If you don't mind me asking.

Not at all! Cool Click here.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Huh? What's Answerman? If you don't mind me asking.

Not at all! Cool Click here.

Thanks. Do you think it'd be okay if I asked him this question too?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2