• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KanColle [2015-01-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
I will be perfectly honest, I was avoiding this show since it felt like a show that would be overly saccharine and meander about with antics.

If they play up the tragedy of the ships a bit more and make the stakes heavier, I might actually get invested.

Same here, but even with this 3rd episode nod to actual history I am still searching for a real reason to keep watching. There is so little about this that makes any sense it is hard to really care about any of it.

I remember I disliked Strike Witches but it won me over after about 5 episodes so I guess I'll hang on for at least that long.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
errinundra wrote:
Please see this post which lists the fate of all the RL ships that the women are named after. Only 3 survived the war; Kisaragi was the first to be sunk.

It doesn't auger well for the rest of them.

I will be perfectly honest, I was avoiding this show since it felt like a show that would be overly saccharine and meander about with antics.

If they play up the tragedy of the ships a bit more and make the stakes heavier, I might actually get invested.

Exactly the opposite for me, I'm dropping the show now.
Kaon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
CrimsonDX wrote:

Exactly the opposite for me, I'm dropping the show now.

Scared they might kill off your waifu? Sorry... I had to.

Well as long as Nagato lives I will be alright... I guess... Sad spoiler[ She actually is the only surviving Japanese Capital ship after World War II... lucky me]

I am at least interested to see how Mutsuki reacts next episode...

{Edit: Please refrain from [url=animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1529787&start=0Excessive Quoting[/url] in the future. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
I gotta say, I agree with the author's comment. I was pleasantly surprised the writers decided to kill off a character this early on. I guess I spoke too soon about historical accuracy extending only to ship specs. I might be in the minority here, but I think the the CG looks pretty good. Its sorta jarring when they switch to the CG parts, especially their faces, but it looks good in motion, and that's the important part.

Izanagi009 wrote:

Me, too. After the 1st episode, I was hoping they'd go for a more dramatic story and so far, it could be going in that direction. I thought Arpeggio of Blue Steel was a good example of a mecha musume show with a "serious" storyline.
Meatwadsan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The chronological history of the IJN ships that were sunk (You may need to highlight to see all of it, or see original link: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1346790):

spoiler[Here is the chronological order of the IJN ships that were sunk (assuming they decide to throw in some more history):

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Japan/IJN/JANAC-Losses/index.html

Chronological order of deaths/sinkings of ships/characters (^ denotes a minor battle that is part of a major campaign/battle, parentheses denote ships not in the show):

Collision: (Miyuki)
Bombed by aircraft/struck naval mine: (Z1), (Z3)
Torpedoed by aircraft/destroyer: (Bismarck)

Battle of Wake Island: Kisaragi

Battle of Sunda Strait (More Doji-Fubuki): Fubuki and/or Mogami torpedoes 5 of her own ships with Lt. Gen. Imamura Hitoshi aboard one of them

Torpedoed by aircraft: (Kikuzuki)

Battle of the Coral Sea: (Shoho)

Battle of Midway: Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, Hiryu, (Mikuma)

Torpedoed by submarine: (Arare)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Nenohi)
Bombed by aircraft: (Oboro)

Solomon Islands Campaign
^Battle of the Eastern Solomons: Mutsuki, (Ryujo)
^Battle of Cape Esperance: Fubuki, (Murakumo), (Furutaka)
^Battles of Guadalcanal/Savo Island: Yudachi, Akatsuki, Kirishima, Hiei, Yayoi, Oshio, Kinugasa, Kako, (Ayanami), (Makigumo), (Tenryu), (Yura)
^Battle of the Bismarck Sea: Asashio, (Arashio), (Shirayuki), (Tokitsukaze)
^Battles of Kolombangara/Kula Gulf: Jintsu, Murasame, Kagero, (Kuroshio), (Nagatsuki)
^Battle of Vella Lavella: (Yugumo)
^Battle of Empress Augusta Bay: Sendai, (Hatsukaze)
^Airstrike on Rabaul Naval Base: Mochizuki, (Hatsuyuki)

Torpedoed by submarine: (I-168)
Depth charged: (I-19)
Bombed by aircraft: (Mikazuki)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Sazanami)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Isonami)
Turret explosion: Mutsu
Torpedoed by submarine: (Suzukaze)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Agano)

Marshall Islands Campaign
^Airstrike on Truk Naval Base (Operation Hailstone): Naka, (Maikaze), (Fumizuki)

Bombed/rocketed by aircraft: (Akashi)
Bombed by aircraft: (Harusame)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Tatsuta)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Akigumo)
Torpedoed by submarine: Kuma
Torpedoed by submarine: Yubari
Torpedoed by submarine: Inazuma
Torpedoed by submarine: Ikazuchi
Collision: Shiratsuyu
Torpedoed by submarine: (Tanikaze)

Battle of the Philippine Sea: Shokaku, (Hiyo), (Taiho)

Torpedoed by submarine: Samidare
Torpedoed by submarine: Oi
Bombed by aircraft: (Satsuki)
Bombed by aircraft: (Nagara)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Natori)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Shikinami)

Battle of Leyte Gulf
^Battle of the Palawan Passage: Atago, (Maya)
^Battle of the Sibuyan Sea: Wakaba, (Musashi), (Kinu), (Noshiro)
^Battle of the Surigao Strait: Mogami, Michishio, (Fuso), (Yamashiro), (Shiranui), (Yamagumo), (Asagumo), (Abukuma)
^Battle off Samar: Chikuma, (Nowaki), (Chokai), (Suzuya)
^Battle off Cape Engano: Tama, Zuikaku, (Akizuki), (Zuiho), (Chiyoda), (Chitose)
^Battle of Ormoc Bay: Shimakaze, (Hatsuharu), (Uzuki), (Naganami)

Torpedoed by submarine: Kongo, (Urakaze)
Bombed/torpedoed by aircraft: (Nachi)
Bombed by aircraft: (Kiso)
Torpedoed by aircraft: (Hayashimo)
Torpedoed by submarine: Mamiya
Bombed by aircraft: (Akebono)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Akitsu Maru)
Torpedoed by submarine: Shigure
Bombed/torpedoed by aircraft: (Kumano)
Torpedoed by submarine: (Unryu)
Bombed by aircraft: (Kiyoshimo)
Bombed by aircraft: (Amatsukaze)

Battle of the Malacca Strait: (Haguro)

Depth charged: (I-8)

Battle of Okinawa: Yamato, (Kasumi), (Isokaze), (Hamakaze), (Yahagi)

Torpedoed by submarine: (Isuzu)
Struck naval mine: (Hatsushimo)
Torpedoed by submarine: Ashigara

Airstrike on Kure Naval Base/Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) Headquarters: Haruna, Oyodo, Tone, Aoba, (Ise), (Hyuga)

Used as target ship: Takao, (Myoko)
Used as target ship (Operation Road's End): (I-58)
Used as target ship: (I-401)
Used for nuclear test (Operation Crossroads): Nagato, (Sakawa), (Prinz Eugen)

Handed over to Soviet Union (Scrapped): Hibiki
Handed over to Republic of China/Taiwan (Scrapped): (Yukikaze)

Survivors (Scrapped): Kitakami, (Ushio), (Hosho), (Junyo), (Taigei/Ryuho)
Multiple ships/survivors (Scrapped): (Maruyu)
]
Kaon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the death wasn't swept under the rug, but the excessive comedy, albeit funny was kind of off-putting.

Man those are some crazy sisters lol... I'm so glad I read up on the wiki, completely heightened my enjoyment.

Kongo with the block of the season though... damn!

Explosive shell meet Backhand
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
the inevitable conclusion of Kongou's backhand

To briefly summarize this episode in a nutshell
spoiler[Everyone is vaguely depressed
EXPOSITION
wacky Kongou antics
everyone is vaguely sad again
WACKY KONGOU ANTICS
Stuff gets blowed up good
HUGS OF UNDETSTANDING (I KNOW YOUR PAAAAIIIIN)
Everything is better now]

If that felt vague unfocused and weird that's kinda how I felt watching this episode. It might just be my own sensibility I don't mind comedy spots but generally when things start to get start t get serious I prefer them to stay serious I hate it when stories just pause their dramatic moment to tell jokes for 10 minutes I prefer it when they just get to the point. It might have worked better if they incorperated the wacky Kongou antics into the story at large but right now it feels like they got cold feet wanting to actually be dramatic and serious and instead threw in the Kongou sisters to kinda back out of going all the way with the drama.

EDIT: spoiler[Based on the treaser it seems next episode will focus on Kaga (yay) and the 5th carrier div. I am not holding out much hope that they are gonna keep pushing the drama but frankly with how confused the series feels I can't be sure either way]
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this was what I was afraid of.

Comedy and drama at direct odds with each other. I was the one who wanted the show to be more dramatic and focus on the pain of war but even I can admit to wanting the Kongou class sisters to just bounce off each other and go crazy.

However, as seen in another thread of an ongoing show, tonal shifts like this can be a bit problematic for me and I would probably start bashing my head in to deal with the whiplash.
bhl88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Mutsuki denying it all, the Kongou veterans' comedy to lift everyone's spirits (stealth, intro, idol battle, stalking, tea time), Nagato being stoic and marching on, the Myoukou sisters, the battle (Kongou punch) and Mutsuki saying that her heart/hands Hurt]

Crying or Very sad

Though I can't help laugh at their antics. Fubuki's image shattered.
Enner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I fully accept turning all the Kongou sisters in to doofusses, but it is a lot of fun. The timely block by Kongou is great, and also perhaps a very loose interpretation of the browser game's Flagship Protection mechanic.

After the clumsily delivered drama of episode 3, I found it's resolution in episode 4 to be surprisingly graceful, comparatively. While I can understand others gripes or displeasure with the whip lashing switches between comedy and drama these past two episodes have delivered, I strangely think they are in-line with the browser game's odd mix of having moe characters that you can lose. I do admit it is jarring.

As for the continued rotating door of the extended cast marring the show's reach beyond it's fan base, I do not expect that to stop at all. The show has many masters to serve, and attracting newcomers seem to be on the lowest rung.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree, I hope the show continues to expand that cast to include all [important] girls that have shown up in the game, perhaps with the exception of the Nazi ships. We haven't even see Yamato beyond her appearance in the OP, so it would be nice if Musashi was there too.
Kaon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I agree, I hope the show continues to expand that cast to include all [important] girls that have shown up in the game, perhaps with the exception of the Nazi ships. We haven't even see Yamato beyond her appearance in the OP, so it would be nice if Musashi was there too.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bismarck to be honest.

Bismarck the chancellor was actually a very influential guy who unified Germany and he died way before the whole Nazi regime.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Kaon wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing Bismarck to be honest.

Only if she gets crippled by Ark Royal and is subsequently beaten to death by Rodney and King George V.

Most overrated battleship of all time.
Kaon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Only if she gets crippled by Ark Royal and is subsequently beaten to death by Rodney and King George V.

Most overrated battleship of all time.

English went total overkill after they found out that "Bismarck" sunk the "Hood" and ordered all neighboring warships to hunt down "Bismarck" and "Prinz Eugen"

Maybe its prowess was overrated but the Royal Navy was on some vendetta mission.

Last edited by Kaon on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:11 am; edited 4 times in total
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
As long as we're making a wishlist of ships to appear can we have Kiso please the rest of the Kuma class ships have already appeared why can't we have Kiso too.

I guess Ise and Hyuuga would be cool too But that's because I can't disassociate them from their role in the 4koma as spoiler[the instructors for all the destroyers]

spoiler[Oh well at least we;re getting more Kaga screentime next week and the 5th div girls too hell maybe they'll even give the 2nd div carriers screentime]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8