• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Jerome Mazandarani Comments on Scarlett Johansson Announcement

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animelytical

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Not much to say but this is true. I can't believe race bexams an issue for fans of Ghost in the Shell, an story where race is not even an issue. If they had Miles Cyprus doing the role, I would consider a complaint but there is too much negativity already when there are so many ways the film could fail but probably won't swing how films in a similar vein (to an extent) have looked and performed.
marshall2000_uk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I love Jerome, he cuts through the BS and tells it how it is, well said.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm not particular bothered by Scarlett's involvement in the film, you pretty much know what you're getting from her. I'm more worried by the director at this point.

In one hand, he directed the awesome Halo 3: ODST television advertisements and on the other his first feature film was "Snow White and the Huntsman".... Enough said about that. I suppose you're not going to make everyone happy, so I'll reserve my judgement until it's released
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Reflects my sentiments exactly. It is all about the story and its general belivability than who is playing the part. I think she will bring more fans to what is a very good and variable series.

The director on the other hand we will have to see.
Animatsurox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I think that Snow White and the Huntsman while not everyone's cup of tea was a box office success. It was not a dog of a film. Maybe GITS will elevate this director to the next level? Irrespective of how the final film turns out. The real issue here for me are these dickheads who have started this petition in the first place. Isn't accusing someone of "whitewashing" as bad as calling them a racist? And isn't the next worst thing to being a racist being someone who accuses over people of being racist when they clearly aren't? It's easy to start an online petition and get 12,000 angry otaku to sign it. Most of them will probably signing it purely because they do not want to see this movie happen. Not because they care about fair representation for non-white actors in Hollywood. But! Because they resent any attempts to bring their beloved properties to the mass market. It's a fudge load harder to actually sit down and write a screenplay or produce or direct a feature film. Maybe the person who kick started this whole pointless debate should think about that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1