• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Death Parade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I thought Ep 2 made it clear...

Yeah, you're right. People kept bringing up the Buddhist thing (not just here) and I talked myself into forgetting what little I knew. Rolling Eyes

I'm just going to be quiet now and stop embarrassing myself, being wrong on everything so far about this series. Very Happy
Enner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
Zac Bertschy wrote:
The preview for next week's episode - "Death Arcade", which sounds promising - shows us yet another couple locked in mortal combat....

Damn it, Zac. Don't make me smile too much!

Episode 3 is a nice change of pace from the human lows of Death Billiards and the previous 2 episodes. Also, nice to see both souls sent to reincarnation showing that the rules are very bendy.

I as well hope we do see a pair of strangers with no prior relationship as in Death Billiards. It would be grounds for some interesting character interaction. What would be great and surprising would be a pair of characters and a game that lasts two episodes.
addiemon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I kinda feel like ep 2's primary purpose was to help clearly establish the rules to the audience, and it was a clunky way to do it. I'm optimistic they won't have to do that again.

I loved this episode, both for the bittersweet story and for the way it much more tidily reveals more to us- such as, for example, not every pair that shows up in Quindecim winds up with one reincarnated and one in the void; in this pair they both wind up reincarnated. Also for Decim's joke and "Onna's" reaction.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
"You're getting brutal, Zark. Brutal and needlessly Sadistic."
"Thank you, Master Control."

After watching one episode, that pretty much sums up my impression of Death Parade.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I got the impression that misaki (lol joke-name)'s family was actually the people in her tv show and not her real life family.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow

Episode 4 was the best I've ever seen out of this, even better than the original Death Billiards

Two strangers tied by only the loosest of thematic threads forced to face their own pains and anguish and we get to see the lead up and humanity behind even the most violent and abusive.

The tension between Decim's empathy and the system's exploitative nature is also really well set up. I thought Decim would be a cold analytical dude but he is shaping up to be an interesting twist on the arbiter trope.

This show is looking to be the best of the Winter 2015 season.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
I got the impression that misaki (lol joke-name)'s family was actually the people in her tv show and not her real life family.

Her TV Show was a reality show about her as a single mom raising five children, so it goes without saying that her TV family was her real family.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
ah, so I was not wrong, I did nto notice it beign a reality show, tho.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Damn you weren't kidding when you said the episode packed a punch this week. So far this was probably the best episode Death Parade has done and it kind of makes me appreciate what I didn't in the one shot now that I have a better understanding of what its trying to do. I think in addition to the fact that these two are only connected thematically the situations themselves are much more interesting than the previous two cases (imho) I actually felt something for these two where as before I was just going along with the flow of the show. Not sure if it'll strike gold like that again but I'm definitely in this for the long haul, I was by episode three but this just reaffirms it.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
This is definitely the sort of "Judgment Day" system that would be created by human minds within the world we live in: imperfect, manipulative, unfair, biased. That the arbiter is both a cog in this system (unwilling? willing? impassive? resigned?), yet is also empathetic, sympathetic, and in ways still fumbling in the dark in order to be as fair as he can is also very human.

I strongly disagree with the final verdict for Misaki. If you're looking at everything clinically with a certain pass/fail criteria (and that criteria largely has to do with causing physical harm to others), then yeah she didn't pass. But that's just so cold and unforgivable given her past. And there's another factor in play - her genetics. Clearly, she has a headstrong, dominant personality; she'd be more likely to be combative and direct when under pressure or stress. That she's also abusive was learned from her environment and circumstances. It's the same thing with the otaku, his personality is also largely shaped by his environment and genetics. So I guess it works in his favor that he's more introverted and prone to escape/avoid conflict than anything else.

I guess I'm just too much about forgiveness, second chances, and rehabilitation than I am about punishment.

Regardless, this show was able to bring me to tears this episode with the characters' back story and their reactions to the situation, make me feel so strongly about the outcome, and introspectively analyze the thematic messages and compare them to my own feelings and mores. I consider this a major plus. I already really liked this series, and this episode only made me like it more. Definitely the best episode yet. Strong, powerful, emotional.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
This may seem out of place of all the things you guys are talking about, but man, that crying. I know we just went through 96 minutes of deep themes and touching stories, but man, I just gotta comment on the crying! What about it? It actually sounds real. Out of all of the animes I have seen in these years this has got to be the most realistic crying sounds I have ever heard. They actually sound like they're crying, and not acting. I am digging this realism right here.

So, episode 4. I agree that this was probably the best episode by far. The lives of the two players were very realistic IMO and there are probably many who have experienced a life just like them. The episode was very well done with its smooth animation to its emotional expression. "A" material right here.

So from what willag said, I am assuming that one player will reincarnate and one will go to the void? But do they ever say it will be ruled like this? Decim says that Quindecim is a place to judge a person's afterlife whether it's heaven or hell, but he never said only one person could go to each. What if the right elevator could also be reincarnation? We see that he says that both of them have done well, so I was pretty convinced they both got a good judgement.

willag wrote:
I strongly disagree with the final verdict for Misaki. If you're looking at everything clinically with a certain pass/fail criteria (and that criteria largely has to do with causing physical harm to others), then yeah she didn't pass. But that's just so cold and unforgivable given her past. And there's another factor in play - her genetics. Clearly, she has a headstrong, dominant personality; she'd be more likely to be combative and direct when under pressure or stress. That she's also abusive was learned from her environment and circumstances. It's the same thing with the otaku, his personality is also largely shaped by his environment and genetics. So I guess it works in his favor that he's more introverted and prone to escape/avoid conflict than anything else.

I would have to disagree with you here. Maybe it's because I'm a more strict person, but if she was sent to the void I would say it is a reasonable verdict. Her genetics and environment may have played a part, but it was ultimately her decision to continue going down that path. We saw that she had multiple men come over to her house, and what's more she picked them up at a bar or something like that. Her mismanagement of her family is her fault, because she was not strong enough to realize what she did wrong until she was dead. Although I sympathize with her and want her to have a second chance at life, she had basically wasted her whole life due to her own misjudgment and unwillingness to change, which negates my sympathy a little bit. You can't just give everyone who had a wrong life reincarnation just because "it's in their genes" or "it's not their fault". It is their fault. You could argue that murderers and psychopaths were also affected because of their genes and environment, if that is so, should they receive reincarnation as well? In the end, this is just my opinion, so I apologize beforehand if any harshness were to be heard in here, as my posts often do.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone else already mentioned this, but did anyone notice that no one died of natural causes? It was either by accident, suicide or murder. No one died of old age, disease or health related issues. I wonder if that plays at all into why these people are sent here?
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
brankoburcksen wrote:
I don't know if anyone else already mentioned this, but did anyone notice that no one died of natural causes? It was either by accident, suicide or murder. No one died of old age, disease or health related issues. I wonder if that plays at all into why these people are sent here?

We don't really know. Maybe there could be a person that dies of natural causes later in the series.
Suiseiten

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
brankoburcksen wrote:

We don't really know. Maybe there could be a person that dies of natural causes later in the series.
Technically not true. spoiler[In Death Billiards, the old man dies of natural causes in a peaceful way]. Granted that the singular episode is a bit standalone and came up before the series did.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
So does the word "emotions" mean something different to the Japanese? Cause Ginti sure seems to be brimming with them, and everyone else as well, except the one who supposedly has been infused with emotions. Confused Did they actually just mean empathy or compassion?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7