• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Death Parade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
I guess it means more of a deep undercurrent of empathy, sympathy, hope, despair, etc. I commented about nearly the same thing on the thread in the anime section.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was another episode about the backgrounds of the arbiters, so it wasn't as eventful as the other episodes, but it did provide some well needed information. There was a small section with Ginki and Mayu in it, which I'm still kind of confused about, but have a small guess as to what is happening between them. Curious to see what episode 8 will be about. It seems it will be another game. Any clue as to what game "Death Rally" is?
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8-- talking about a cliff hanger ending

well, at least now we know a bit about their background

Personally, i would say let's make an exception this time around and send them back to the world of the living instead Smile

From the look of it, they are going going downspoiler[ the path of a vigilante]. That's fine by me.

but there are a few things that are still unclear for me.

Episode 1 and episode 8 are the best so far.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
That part where the guy is talking about people's eyes required a bit of suspension of disbelief. Ok fine, Decim doesn't have the eyes of a liar. But he didn't notice anything else about his eyes?
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
Loving this series so far. A friend recently introduced me to it and I marathoned to get caught up. I love the art style, the mood, the "story of the week" nature, and the mysteries of these characters' world. For episode 8, I hate that it's a cliffhanger and I agree that it really should have been a condensed single parter.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
But he didn't notice anything else about his eyes?

Maybe normal humans can't see the pattern in his eyes?
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, very interesting. The knife says that the boy is the killer, but I have a feeling it's not as simple as that...
Ahirue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
At first I was playing with the thought that the kid killed the wife and the detective assaulted the sister, but neither one of them really seemed like the type, and maybe that would be too much of a stretch, so...

My guess is that they both killed their intended targets, and that it may have even been the same guy, and they themselves ended up dying as a result of a threeway showdown.

(Or would that be too action movie for an anime like Death Parade?)

Whatever the case may be, I'm hoping for some bloody drama to pay off this cliffhanger.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
I don't agree at all about episode 8. I mean, the first half could indeed have been condensed a bit. But this episode is just so dripping with tension and atmosphere (especially this episode with the new twist) that I find it highly enjoyable even when it takes its time. Anyway, overall I'm absolutely loving this show. It's hit a nice balance by roughly alternating between judgement episodes and story building episodes. And even within the judgement episodes there has been a nice balance. This show would become dull quickly if it always just amounted to "people are terrible and selfish bastards in the end". That these people aren't automatically doomed from the start and can sometimes get happy ending is great.
bobob101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the shows this season, Death Parade is the most "Emotional" one. No matter what emotion we are dealing with, Death Parade goes to the extreme to portray just how good/bad/lovely/depressing human emotions. Whether it is love or revenge, every episode gets this rusty heart of mine to beat. Bravo.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The way it's going now, I hope Death Parade gets at least another cour. There are enough characters and subplots going on that it would be hard to tie everything up in 3 more episodes and the current setup has a lot of potential.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
endallchaos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Best episode so far! Very Happy
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I would want another cour, this one already covers up all the major issues this show wanted to talk about about the nature of judgment, another more would just focus in more minor irrelevant elements (Psycho-Pass 2, although it's not a good example because it didn't even know what was about).

And yes, this episode was pretty good. I think the only part that was a little "ehh" was that the detective waited so the sister would become a victim and therefore killing him, I get his twisted logic that when the victim is totally victim the culprit has completed his crime and can be judged, and they wanted a more accurate comparison between him and Decim, but even by poor nihilistic standards that was a little too much trying to put him as obviously evil and heartless, like following his logic he could have saved her and kill him then, and allege self-defense if the sister saw how he would kill him. But I get why it was made this way, and the scenes at the end with Onna were powerful and very clear about people's nature and influence without feeling as poor as in episode 2 where I thought Decim's mistake at analyzing them was kind of lame. My guess is that the show's answer to the necessity of judgments will be that it's a flawed and too relative but ultimately necessary tool that despite the ambiguety needs to evolve in different shapes even if technically there's no absolute veredict, and that's what Nona pretended with Decim.

... that makes me ask how Nona feels about Onna's point of view and contribution to Decim's heart, especially when it wasn't Nona who put her with him to help him, but Decim. In episode 2 it looked it was going to be a duality "optimism / pesimism" that probably was antagonic between them, but no, (I'm glad it's not that), so I wonder how she feels about Onna.

P.D.: Now that I think about it, was revealed how the young man died? Or do we assume "suicide", "he died with them" (because in theory only people who died at the same time go together to Quindecim) or "whatever/it's not relevant"?
MeisterYM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
DAT ENDING DOUGH.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
P.D.: Now that I think about it, was revealed how the young man died? Or do we assume "suicide", "he died with them" (because in theory only people who died at the same time go together to Quindecim) or "whatever/it's not relevant"?

In the flashback of the elder Shimada, when he entered his sister's assailant's house and stabbed him in the doorway, the assailant grabbed a kitchen knife from the sink and stabbed Shimada in the waist (it flashes pretty quickly), causing the Shimada brother to die from the blood loss (but not before the frightened Shimada stabs the detective Tatsumi).
shi666san

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man. These past two episodes went by so quickly! It's sad to see what happened to them, and how they ended up in the situation they did to die. The detective went off the deep end, especially after his wife was killed, so it was expected that he would get the void, but I felt bad for the Shimada guy. He worked so hard after his parents died to support his sister, and yet this ended up happening.

Part of me, however, is glad he didn't listen to Onna when she told him he could be reincarnated and see his sister again. He wouldn't have memories of his sister, there'd be at least a 16 year difference between them, and there's a fraction of a chance he'd end up being reincarnated in the same country at all. So, yeah, even though he went insane by the end and didn't listen to Onna's idealistic spiel, at least we got to see a double-void judgement.

Also, that ending is amazing. It works so well with some of the judgements, like this one.

Lastly, judging by the episode preview and website, it's looking like Onna's going to get judged next week against an old lady.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7