• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kuroko's Basketball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuroko the Best Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 66

Man, was that painful to watch. This explains why Kuroko chose Seirin. I thought it was a random decision on his part. The comedy at the end was the perfect ending to this depressing episode. I'm super pumped for Seirin versus Rakuzan match.

Score: 111-11
Kuroko’s Seirin jersey number: 11

Coincidence? I think not.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
Well...there aren't a lot of choices that also win the game. It's either 111-11, one of the double digits versus single digits (but anything less than 88-8 would've had them picking their noses most of the game), or super-ridiculous, like 222 -22. I guess they could have also gone for a straight, like 123-45, but somehow the all 1's seems the most cruel to me, even without the nasty way they achieved it.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Pretty emotionally engaging episode this week, and these past four episodes of the Teiko arc has been pretty masterfully crafted. Next week: Seirin vs. Rakuzan! Can't wait for the final showdown, and I hope the budget is here too. I wonder if we'll be able to see Kuroko in the zone sometime. That would be fantastic.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Eh, they stretched it another episode again. Oh well, final showdown next week I suppose. It's interesting that Kagami is in the Zone right from the start, and I'm curious to see how he will adapt when his zone time runs out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I suspect that everything will come down to a clash between these two, as hinted by the opening.

And the title of the series. Smile They made it pretty clear that this was a battle to show the superiority of one style of play over the other. But I'm wondering what Mayuzumi is going to show us. He actually does look like Kuroko's older brother, and one of the players even commented on that obliquely.

I agree that even though it felt like they were stalling for time, I really enjoyed all the character interactions and peacemaking. The only distracting moment was a drawing glitch that looked like Mitobe's little brother's eye was spilling out of his head.

Was Hyuga about to confess to Riko? Shocked
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was Hyuga about to confess to Riko? Shocked

At the very least, I think he was going to ask her out on a date in case Seirin won. It would be nice to see at least one couple being formed in the end, but I've learned not to expect that from a Shonen Jump sports series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's what I thought, but in anime, asking for a date usually seems equivalent to confessing your love. Smile

Probably a good thing she sneezed, or that would have distracted them both from the game.
Kazamuki

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
Akashi's existence was a mistake..
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm still developing a theory about Akashi and Kuroko, who look very similar (save for reverse hair and eye colors), yet have opposite personalities.

In Fujimaki's original draft, they were meant to be brothers, but it was changed last minute
Kuroko the Best Stalker

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 67

This episode was a great build-up for the final match. So proud of Kuroko. He’s grown so much since Season 1. Well, they all have.

Great to see the everyone from Season 1 coming to watch the final match. Even Papa was there. And Aomine and Murasakibara went willingly for the first time.

The new opening is one of the best or the best imo. The animation quality reminds me a bit of Season 2's OP1 ''The Other Self'' And this is my favorite part lol.

Kuroko the Best Stalker

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 68

Kagami starting the match in the zone but he’s still having troubles with Akashi. And none of the Rakuzan members have played seriously yet. I can sense a lot of trouble coming for Seirin.

Mayuzumi was a surprise. Kuroku has found a new shadow rival. I do not like this guy already. I hope Kuroko comes up with something soon.

That meteor jam Kagami did was amazing! They were obviously saving a lot of budget for this final game.

_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
@Kuroko The Best Stalker, that Meteor Jam was so awesome! That fluid animation shows me just how great animation can be when you have the budget to back it.

The only major thing for me this episode was Kuroko #2. I had already guessed some stuff when Momoi was giving the stats for him. I wonder how Kuroko will adapt to this new "shadow".
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode #69:

A. IDUKI!? Really? It still bugs me. Written as Idzuki when transliterated from Japanese, pronounced more like Izuki.

B. Finally, after about 4 episodes, we hear Ōsaka Ryōta as Mayuzumi Chihiro. ("The Apple Clockwork, the Honey, and the Little Sister" Laughing)

C. I'm not familiar with this, but isn't there in Japanese high school basketball a limit to how many subs one team can request/be granted in a match? Because I think that Seirin has subbed about 6-7 times since the match has began. Or, like the physics, the rules in Kuroko-verse are subjected to the phenomenon known as Distortion by the Power of the Plot? (DPP for short)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Japan high schools play by FIBA rules. There are a crap-ton of rules about substitutions, but since the 40s they've been unlimited as to how many you can make. Most of the rules concern when you can make them.

One of the rules is "Only a substitute has the right to request a substitution. He (not the coach or the assistant coach) shall go to the scorer’s table and ask clearly for a substitution..." That's something we've never seen in this series as far as I can recall (maybe they've shown someone waiting in the sub chair?) but I don't mind that. Smile But I don't think you have to request first if you sub during a time out, although you're still supposed to go tell the scorer you're subbing in (it's not important for them to show us that either).

The bigger issue might be time outs, which I think they've mentioned before, but seems like they might not be adhering to, though I haven't been counting. You only get 2 time outs during the first half, 3 in the second (no more than 2 of those in the last 2 minutes of the half), and 1 in each OT period. It seems like they call a lot of time outs, but it might just feel that way when both teams are using their allotment.

But yeah, I've complained before about the nearly complete lack of officiating in this. I don't want much and I'm mostly ok with DPP, but sometimes it's almost unbearably blatant in its absence. Very Happy
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
And another thing about this Episode:

This pass by Mayuzumi Chihiro to Akashi Seijūrō...

...reminded me of Kageyama Tobio's passes to Hinata Shōyō in Haikyū!!...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10