• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Durarara!!×2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Having made a series of unflattering posts about this season, I thought I'd take the time to say something nice about it.

It has my favorite OP of all of this season's shows.

Rolling Girls is in second place and Cross Ange in third.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Wait... Only a B+ after all the good things the review said about episode 8? -.-'

Anyway, very good episode. Finally started connecting the dots. I'm curious to see the next episode, since it seems like Anri brought Akane to meet with Aoba and Mikado. And we finally got a little of that development I was anticipating from Mikado.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Wait... Only a B+ after all the good things the review said about episode 8? -.-'

It got off to a weak start, was mostly built on shocking twists that I don't know will pay off satisfactorily, and the show still looks like it was animated with a potato.

So yeah, still not what I'd call DRRR on its A-game. Razz
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
_Cyphon_ wrote:

It got off to a weak start, was mostly built on shocking twists that I don't know will pay off satisfactorily, and the show still looks like it was animated with a potato.

So yeah, still not what I'd call DRRR on its A-game. Razz

Fair enough
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 grade: B+

This was a fun episode, but I cannot give it a higher grade because the story did not advance much. Still, I am hopeful that all the chaos will gives us an explosive and memorable conclusion for this cour.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
I'd give this episode a B+/A-. A very fun chaotic episode. Next episode looks to be breather episode and with a flashback and character focus on Akane Awakusu.
I hope Hope doesn't expect Izaya's Vahalla plan's to come to fruition this cour because I don't think they really get into gear/motion until the final volumes (i.e. the third cour).
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
It was certainly a better episode - not least in terms of the art. And yes, the conversation about Shizuo was highly amusing.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't seem to engage with the rest of the episode much. I'm not sure whether this is the fault of the show (a weak opening arc to season 2 undermining my ability to empathize with the characters) or just about the mood I was in when I watched it (I'd just seen Cross Ange, Aldnoah, Death Parade, Parasyte and Maria back to back before moving onto this, which had constituted a bit of a rollercoaster ride that this was never going to match).

I'm actually planning to try watching this episode again tonight, to see if it resonates any better when seen on its own.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
From the last episode with its build-up and tension... and now we change to a completely different thing. That made me scratch my head during most of the episode without a particular reaction, but it felt very short, I guess this is one of those you enjoy more if you marathon it.

The animation here was solid at least, but I wasn't very fond of the narration voice this time, it was supposedly to be that yakuza in the opening that just appeared this episode, but he didn't do that much and his narration didn't carry any structure or theme during the episode (as, for example, Simon did a few episodes ago) or told us about him or his character's current struggle (Masaomi before), so it's still hooky in that regard.

Oh, one thing about your other reviews that I forgot to bring up: The chatroom is not from the Dollars, it seems at first since it's on the net and Mikado, Izaya and Celty were there, but neither Izaya's sisters, Masaomi or Anri are inside, and a few episodes ago they talked about the Dollars like a foreign thing.

P.S.: Oh hey, cameos from the previous season! The girl who tried to commit suicide, and the ones that abused Anri.
Lovely

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 9 thoughts-

BUDGET! GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS BUDGET! You have returned animation/model budget, and I have missed you and am glad to see you again.

(seriously, the horrible quality of episodes 7 and 8 really ticked me off.)
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
LOL. Remember the early episode from the first season with a stranger who wanted people to write "things they look for" in her notebook?

[ It puts there "Love Hanejima Yuhei" ]

If this was in the novel, the author truly wanted to make sure to have callbacks. If this is from the anime, the creators really really like the novels to hide details like these.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Theozilla wrote:
I'd give this episode a B+/A-. A very fun chaotic episode. Next episode looks to be breather episode and with a flashback and character focus on Akane Awakusu.
I hope Hope doesn't expect Izaya's Vahalla plan's to come to fruition this cour because I don't think they really get into gear/motion until the final volumes (i.e. the third cour).

Naw, after he failed the first time, I just expect him to fail again, until we're closer to the very end of the novels. Very Happy
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm so disappointed in you, Mikado. I thought you would change more. Sad
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
I'm so disappointed in you, Mikado. I thought you would change more. Sad

Yeeeeeeeeah, don't jump to conclusions just yet. Laughing
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Honestly, even through my rose tinted "Durarara is my favorite show" spectacles, this was a kinda dull episode. I really wasn't engaged in what was happening, it was kinda eh. I'm 90% sure that the next few episodes of this cour will be better though, based on what I know of the Light Novels.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It just seems like the show is meandering, trying to find a plot to focus on. Admittedly I wish we'd get more focus on Shizuo's current predicament and Vorona's stuff because that's way more interesting than a lot of the other stuff going on. It's definitely a season of ups and downs right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14