• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Durarara!!×2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
No matter what people say, Durarara x2 Shou was still a very entertaining season, though the whole thing was confusing as fuq. Will be waiting for part 2. Even now I'm still not sure if I get the whole plot.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
No matter what people say, Durarara x2 Shou was still a very entertaining season, though the whole thing was confusing as fuq. Will be waiting for part 2. Even now I'm still not sure if I get the whole plot.

No matter what people say it was very entertaining for you. Me not so much.

Ep 12 grade: B
This season: C+
1st season: A-

Agree with most of the review. I hope the following season can be as good as the first season.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
No matter what people say it was very entertaining for [u]you[/u

Thank you for elaborating. Everyone has different opinions.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Best way to describe this season: it's a freaking mess. It almost seems like it's a prelude for better things to come next season, like this entire run was just setup for a bigger story. Maybe when the next season rolls around it'll click better, but taken on its own it's kind of weak and sloppy. And even if one were to link it with next season it doesn't change the fact that some of the episodes are downright tepid and dull, lacking in any sort of flair or energy.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Xagor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't Yodogiri linked to Ruri (the idol)? I'm sure I remember hearing the name before the ending.

Last edited by Xagor on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Series rating: B/B+
It was sometimes confusing and the direction wasn't always the best, but I liked this season overall. There were enough good episodes to balance out the weaker ones and I didn't think any of the episodes were actually bad. I just hope the next cour handles this better. A lot of the issues here seemed to be signs of a rushed production, so hopefully they'll fix it there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 grade: B+

This messy cour finally ended. I want to believe that after this long set up, the next cours will offer more answers than questions and headaches. I still give this first 12 episodes a Good rating mostly because of the characters and added intrigue.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
And I'm done. Slightly amazed I made it through this - I think I decided to drop it at least three times during its run. I don't really like the whole scores thing, but...

If the scale is A+ to F- (which I think I've seen one of the admins say somewhere before), then the C-/D+ borderline would be right around the half-way point. And let's say that the point at which I stop watching is right on that half-way point. So for me, this show was somewhere in the C-/D+ range, because it's not often I limp along on the verge of dropping a show like this. The last time I did so was Persona: Trinity Soul (which again, I must have decided to drop 3 or 4 times without ever actually doing so), which feels like a fair comparator in broad quality terms.

Such a pity, because the first series of DRRR would have been a solid B+ on that same scale.

This season had big circular plot that goes nowhere, characterised by a persistent lack of tension and absence of reasons to care about the characters (beyond lingering sentiment from season 1). A few good scenes here and there which hinted at the potential for something better. The last episode wasn't too bad. But my expectations might just have been low after the sloppy endings I've already seen this week for Rolling Girls, KanColle and Parasyte (lots of shows struggling to "land" their conclusions this season). And it was still a case of "too little too late".

I won't be watching the next cour unless coverage of it indicates that it's much, much better.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
"Emperor has no clothes." (Moved to correct thread.)

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lovely

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Xagor wrote:
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't Yodogiri linked to Ruri (the idol)? I'm sure I remember hearing the name before the ending.

He was her original manager/owner of an entertainment company. He "disappeared" (ran off) after he made the awakusu mad at him. (for sending them after Ruri, but not telling them she was actually a super strong supernatural.)

Anyhoo. Wow. Reading the review and this thread, a lot of people got a lot of stuff wrong through no fault of their own. It was just the way the anime just... completely skipped explaining some things/making things clear.

Ah. There's a lot to correct here. And I won't spoil anything that wasn't covered in this particular part of the novels. but here we go.

Because of how badly the anime covered this stuff, I kinda doubt it'll ever be explained properly in the show itself anymore. But I'll put in in spoiler tags regardless for those of you who are scary and threaten me for mentioning source stuff >_> .

LN 4-6 spoilers

spoiler[Izaya actually WAS involved in a lot of things and in making things worse. But not in the most direct of ways.

The most simple way to put it is that Izaya was aware before things
started about what people were doing/ planning to do.

He (probably) knew Akane was going to be kidnapped, he definitely knew there was going to be a hit on the Yakuza spies (and who ordered it), and he knew about Varona and Slon. In fact, the person who hired Anri to be injured was Izaya. Mostly because he doesn't like "non-humans" and didn't want her getting involved in his plans for Mikado. (He also doesn't consider Shizuo human.)

Anyways. Izaya knew about the hit on the Yakuza spies and intentionally told Akane his name and gave her the idea to kill Shizuo SPECIFICALLY so that he could trick Shizuo would go to the office where the hit was already done.
His plan was for Shizuo to get "caught" and then for Shizuo to do the "predictable" thing and fight against the whole Yakuza. (And hopefully die!)
Shizuo messed up this plan by actually having matured from his hot-headed self, realizing he had been set up, and not engaging with Yakuza at all.
Akane-papa isn't actually the leader of the Awakusu, his dad is, so he actually wanted this hit to be kept on the down-low and had no intention of actually framing anyone for it. (well. except for maybe the yakuza group they were going to merge with.)

Izaya also knew about Aoba's plan to get Mikado to be the leader of Blue Squares. He gave Mikado a little shove by making that call to him , pretending to be Masaomi etc.
Izaya is also the one who told Chikage's gang where the blue squares were hiding out the first time they asked Mikado to join.

(Basically giving Mikado even MORE time to accept the deal/ see how bad things were getting.)

Anyways, messing up so many plans of other people is a pretty dangerous game, so that is why, when Izaya got stabbed, he wasn't actually IN Tokyo. He had run off a few episodes earlier.
Obviously. this didn't work.

]

Anyways. Woo. Somewhat complicated stuff! Fairly clear in the novels, but bad direction made it decidely less clear in the anime.
I still enjoy the show, because I personally know what's going on and it's fun to see some of my favorite scenes animated but...

Well. yeah. The show should be for everyone not just novel readers. C'mon show directors/writers, get it together!

Ah. Yeah, and Who hired who I mention in this post over here animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4511435#4511435

If you all have any more questions about stuff that's revealed in books 4-6 (this arc) SPECIFICALLY , feel free to ask Smile . If it's something related to the later books, I'll pretend I didn't hear the question :3 .
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
@Lovely, well, thanks for explaining. The studio really needs to pull things together.
So, from what I can see, there are two major and one minor plot line. The Dollars/Blue Square plot line, the Akane/Yakuza plot line, and the Hollywood plot line.
Dollars:
- Ties in Mikado(Dollars), Aoba, and Saitama riders
Yakuza:
- Ties in Shizuo, Akane, Varona & Sloan, Celty, Yakuzas, Yodogiri, and Anri.
Hollywood:
- Ties in Ruriri, Kasuka, Egor, and Orihara sisters.
Hollywood is tied to Gangs through Egor, who was hired to capture Varona and Sloan. Ruriri also has a connection to Yodogiri. Kasuka is related to Shizuo who is in the Dollars
Dollars is tied to Yakuza through Celty and Anri. Aoba and Orihara sisters know each other.
Dollars:
- Aoba and his friends mess things up in Saitama, Dollars have a fight with Saitama riders, and Mikado becomes leader of Blue Squares/Dollars. Got it.
Hollywood:
- Ruriri is Hollywood and kills because of her past and something Yodogiri did to her. Has a fight with Egor and saved by Kasuka. Egor is saved by Orihara sisters, who ask for a favor to see Celty. Egor is cut by Saika, and eventually hunts down Varona and Sloan, his objective. The Russian dudes come as well. Got it.
Yakuza (this gets tricky):
- Awakusu group kills three of their members, then plans for Akane's kidnapping. Izaya sends Shizuo into the mix, who messes up the whole plan. Yodogiri hires Varona and Sloan to kidnap Akane for similar reasons. Izaya hires them to subdue Anri. While on their job, they meet with Celty. Izaya tricks Akane and has her try to kill Shizuo. The plan fails, Shizuo is alive, Akane eventually gets saved, and Varona and Sloan are captured.
End result:
- Mikado turns over to the dark side (sort of). Blue Squares and Dollars are now one
- Ruriri and Kasuka are in a complicated relationship
- Varona and Sloan are captured
- Izaya is incapacitated
- Akane is safe
- Yakuzas settle down
- Shizuo is clean
- Orihara sisters, Yodogiri, Celty, Anri, and others are ok (for now)

I wonder if I missed anything or if I got any of these wrong.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
This season ended with a bang, I can't wait for Mikado to become a psychopathic gang member! Fun season, started out slow but ended perfectly. 8.5/10 easily. Now bring on the second half in July!! Can't wait
Theozilla

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
Series rating: B/B+
It was sometimes confusing and the direction wasn't always the best, but I liked this season overall. There were enough good episodes to balance out the weaker ones and I didn't think any of the episodes were actually bad. I just hope the next cour handles this better. A lot of the issues here seemed to be signs of a rushed production, so hopefully they'll fix it there.

My thoughts exactly.
Like I actually sorta agree with the basic conceit of what Hope and everyone else have critiqued about this cour, but I don't think the issues negatively affected my enjoyment of the series as much as it did for them.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it turns out Izaya had nothing to do with the madness of this entire past story arc.

No, no, no, no, no.

He had plenty to do with it, but he was only one of 3 main culprits behind everything in this arc, the other being Yodogiri and Aoba. This was always the case from the beginning. What Izaya did interfere and tie the plans of 2 other individuals to bolster his own agenda. His main goal here was change Mikado's observer stance to a more proactive role, and to do he used everyone to from the Blue Squares to even Awakusu-kai to make it happen. Russians and Akane were used by him to distract problematic people who like Shizuo and Anri could set his goal back. He advantage of what the Blue Squares were doing and helped drive the Dollars out to control so that Mikado would be forced to take control of the group due to his sense of responsibility even if it's just from the shadows using proxies like he is doing now with Blue Squares.

And he succeeded in part, and Izaya's stage for his gang war to awaken Celty's is now almost complete. The problem is that he underestimated Yodogiri.

It's not a mess at all, but anime does leave out a few bits that makes Izaya's scheme a little clearer.

Last edited by Iron Maw on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure, he planted a few cruel ideas into Akane's head.

Um, was that really Izaya back in ep.10? We didn't actually see that guy's face, but the hair color looked...off to me. It looked brown instead of black. Not to mention we didn't hear him talk at all. Plus, that person was wearing a chain around his neck and there was no ring on his finger. So, in my opinion: I don't think that was Izaya.

Last edited by Animechic420 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14