• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Durarara!!×2

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I was confused about what actually happened with the murders Shizuo was framed for though.

Akane's father was the one behind the murders, and he used Slon to do it. In ep 9 just when Celty had gotten to factory where they were all staked out Son had shown stating he had just finished a job. Those men also weren't really Awakusu men, but spies sent from different organizations, like the Police and Asuki Group (rival Yakuza). So what Akane's was really doing was just cleaning house and he had planned to use bodies to framed Asuki group so that Awakusu-kai position in their negotiations would be better. Izaya once again interfered took advantage of Mikiya's plans for his own.

animechic420 wrote:
Quote:
Sure, he planted a few cruel ideas into Akane's head.

Um, was that really Izaya back in ep.10? We didn't actually see that guy's face, but the hair color looked...off to me. It looked brown instead of black. Not to mention we didn't hear him talk at all. Plus, that person was wearing a chain around his neck and there was no ring on his finger. So, in my opinion: I don't think that was Izaya.

I want say something about this, but spoilers. Let's just say that it's a little too convenient that a look a like is running Izaya imposter with Namie in toe not to be relate to Izaya in someway.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I was confused about what actually happened with the murders Shizuo was framed for though.

Akane's father was the one behind the murders, and he used Slon to do it. In ep 9 just when Celty had gotten to factory where they were all staked out Son had shown stating he had just finished a job. Those men also weren't really Awakusu men, but spies sent from different organizations, like the Police and Asuki Group (rival Yakuza). So what Akane's was really doing was just cleaning house and he had planned to use bodies to framed Asuki group so that Awakusu-kai position in their negotiations would be better. Izaya once again interfered took advantage of Mikiya's plans for his own.

animechic420 wrote:
Quote:
Sure, he planted a few cruel ideas into Akane's head.

Um, was that really Izaya back in ep.10? We didn't actually see that guy's face, but the hair color looked...off to me. It looked brown instead of black. Not to mention we didn't hear him talk at all. Plus, that person was wearing a chain around his neck and there was no ring on his finger. So, in my opinion: I don't think that was Izaya.

I want say something about this, but spoilers. Let's just say that it's a little too convenient that a look a like is running Izaya imposter with Namie in toe not to be relate to Izaya in someway.

It's funny you should say that, because I've been thinking and might sorta know who it could be. But I want to keep myself in the dark until July. Wink
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there were directional issues, and then the fact that they didn't explain some plot points too well...

But you know what? I liked this. I really liked this. Specially this episode. spoiler[Because ballpen]. So I'll eagerly await for the next season.

EDIT: Also, the last scene with the Yakuza? I actually loved that. It felt pretty Baccano-ish, and I'd really like to see the red-haired one to play a bigger role in the future, as he seems to be pretty damn cool. I'm ok with gangs, but I'd like some more direct yakuza intervention as well.
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
EDIT: Also, the last scene with the Yakuza? I actually loved that. It felt pretty Baccano-ish, and I'd really like to see the red-haired one to play a bigger role in the future, as he seems to be pretty damn cool. I'm ok with gangs, but I'd like some more direct yakuza intervention as well.

Same. They have been slowly building up these yakuza characters/groups since the first season, they are all adults, and now their investment in the Ikebukuro habitat is undeniable. It would feel like a complete waste for the story not to utilize them more.
Lovely

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

Yakuza (this gets tricky):
- Awakusu group kills three of their members, then plans for Akane's kidnapping. Izaya sends Shizuo into the mix, who messes up the whole plan. Yodogiri hires Varona and Sloan to kidnap Akane for similar reasons. Izaya hires them to subdue Anri. While on their job, they meet with Celty. Izaya tricks Akane and has her try to kill Shizuo. The plan fails, Shizuo is alive, Akane eventually gets saved, and Varona and Sloan are captured.

I wonder if I missed anything or if I got any of these wrong.

Sounds good for the most part! The only thing off is that Akane's kidnapping was all Yodogiri. Awakusu/Akane-papa (Mikiya), did not plan for that .

This is only my conjecture, but I assume Yodogiri wanted to kidnap Akane to get the Awakusu to quit looking for him.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
Lovely wrote:

Because of how badly the anime covered this stuff, I kinda doubt it'll ever be explained properly in the show itself anymore. But I'll put in in spoiler tags regardless for those of you who are scary and threaten me for mentioning source stuff >_> .

LN 4-6 spoilers

spoiler[Izaya actually WAS involved in a lot of things and in making things worse. But not in the most direct of ways.

The most simple way to put it is that Izaya was aware before things
started about what people were doing/ planning to do.

He (probably) knew Akane was going to be kidnapped, he definitely knew there was going to be a hit on the Yakuza spies (and who ordered it), and he knew about Varona and Slon. In fact, the person who hired Anri to be injured was Izaya. Mostly because he doesn't like "non-humans" and didn't want her getting involved in his plans for Mikado. (He also doesn't consider Shizuo human.)

Anyways. Izaya knew about the hit on the Yakuza spies and intentionally told Akane his name and gave her the idea to kill Shizuo SPECIFICALLY so that he could trick Shizuo would go to the office where the hit was already done.
His plan was for Shizuo to get "caught" and then for Shizuo to do the "predictable" thing and fight against the whole Yakuza. (And hopefully die!)
Shizuo messed up this plan by actually having matured from his hot-headed self, realizing he had been set up, and not engaging with Yakuza at all.
Akane-papa isn't actually the leader of the Awakusu, his dad is, so he actually wanted this hit to be kept on the down-low and had no intention of actually framing anyone for it. (well. except for maybe the yakuza group they were going to merge with.)

Izaya also knew about Aoba's plan to get Mikado to be the leader of Blue Squares. He gave Mikado a little shove by making that call to him , pretending to be Masaomi etc.
Izaya is also the one who told Chikage's gang where the blue squares were hiding out the first time they asked Mikado to join.

(Basically giving Mikado even MORE time to accept the deal/ see how bad things were getting.)

Anyways, messing up so many plans of other people is a pretty dangerous game, so that is why, when Izaya got stabbed, he wasn't actually IN Tokyo. He had run off a few episodes earlier.
Obviously. this didn't work.

]

I understood everything in you mentioned in your spoiler when I was watching the anime.

Sure it might not have been that clear, but I mean come on. Do the people watching this just shut down their brains completely while watcing this? Do you people think that all the explanations will just be put on a silver plate for you?

If you actually paid attention and stop criticizing the show, you may notice a few things you missed.

One of Drrr!!'s charm is it's discontinued narrative <- If you do not know what this means, it might be the first place to start in order to better your understanding of the series.

I won't drop the series after this. Drrr!! x2 Ten and Ketsu obviously follows on x2 Sho, so all three seasons must actually be watched together, that's why they announced that all three would be released in succession. It's not right, not even logical, to take x2 Sho as a stand alone anime. It must be watched together with Ten and Ketsu in order for it to truly make sense.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
I understood everything in you mentioned in your spoiler when I was watching the anime.

Sure it might not have been that clear, but I mean come on. Do the people watching this just shut down their brains completely while watcing this? Do you people think that all the explanations will just be put on a silver plate for you?

If you actually paid attention and stop criticizing the show, you may notice a few things you missed.

One of Drrr!!'s charm is it's discontinued narrative <- If you do not know what this means, it might be the first place to start in order to better your understanding of the series.

I won't drop the series after this. Drrr!! x2 Ten and Ketsu obviously follows on x2 Sho, so all three seasons must actually be watched together, that's why they announced that all three would be released in succession. It's not right, not even logical, to take x2 Sho as a stand alone anime. It must be watched together with Ten and Ketsu in order for it to truly make sense.

Not everyone can comprehend what is happening when multiple different plots, backstories, and characters are introduced in a short amount of time. Just because you personally get it does not mean others do. A show needs to cater to all of its audience so that everyone can get a clear picture of what is happening. If a show is stumping the majority of its viewers, then it has pacing issues. No, we do not expect it to be handed out on a silver platter, however, we do expect it to be presented in a way easy to grasp. The show does not necessarily need to cut down on the content, but instead could change its pacing.

What do you think people have been doing? The majority of people posting in this forum section are previous Drrr! Fans of the first season. They know what to expect of the narrative and are watching attentively, but are still finding points to which the show can improve upon. If the loyal fans of a show find a need to give constructive criticism, the fault would lie with the anime itself.

I'm quite sure that not many will be dropping Durarara! just because because of Shou itself. Many will be hoping for a comeback in the second and third parts. I myself will be attentively waiting for the second part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14