• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yatterman Night

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
My issue was more the other part.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this show and I certainly see its many positive qualities. Right now though I'm just having a little trouble rectifying its whole gritty, dystopian aesthetic and atmosphere with its penchant for silly slapstick antics and crazy cartoon logic.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Okay, but...

I looked back at my comment and... I never actually said that there was more of those than there were "revisionist reboots of children's shows." I'm not sure where you're getting that from at all. I was taking issue with the quality of those "Madoka ripoffs" and how I thought they did the "darker and edgier" thing the wrong way. But there's no quantitative comparison whatsoever?!?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Okay, but...

I looked back at my comment and... I never actually said that there was more of those than there were "revisionist reboots of children's shows." I'm not sure where you're getting that from at all. I was taking issue with the quality of those "Madoka ripoffs" and how I thought they did the "darker and edgier" thing the wrong way. But there's no quantitative comparison whatsoever?!?

You said a "host" which is a large amount. You didn't specifically compare the quantity, but you used that word while also talking about something else of which there are a pretty similar number of shows and the discussion was whether there was even enough to constitute a trend. My point is that using that word is a ridiculous exaggeration even if we were really lenient in how we defined "Madoka ripoff".
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
But there have been more "Madoka rip offs" or dark magical girl anime for adults in general than there have been Tatsunoko cartoon redo's. Wixoss, Yuki Yuna, that Fate magical girl spin off, etc, etc. Maybe not a "host" of em, but definitely a whole lot.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
But there have been more "Madoka rip offs" or dark magical girl anime for adults in general than there have been Tatsunoko cartoon redo's. Wixoss, Yuki Yuna, that Fate magical girl spin off, etc, etc. Maybe not a "host" of em, but definitely a whole lot.

Part of the problem with this is that there is like one or two more shows that you could stick in that "etc etc". Wixoss is really pushing it because it's just not a magical girl show by any conventional definition, though it's also about the only one that makes wishes a major part of the story. Prisma Illya slipped my mind somehow but it's not even particularly 'dark'. The other problem is that none of these shows have much in common with Madoka Magica other than the genre itself (and again, that's not even true for Wixoss). If these shows are Madoka ripoffs, then Evangelion is a Gundam ripoff.

Even we agree that they are "Madoka ripoffs", that's.... 4 or 5 in 4 years. That is hardly a lot. Gatchaman Crows, Yatterman, Fujiko Mine (and if you're lumping all those othershows together, you really don't have room to argue it doesn't count), that's 3 in a similar timeframe, 4 if you include Casshern Sins which is a bit older. At best there are 1 or 2 more of the "Madoka ripoffs".
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is it kinda seems silly to get that bent out of shape over that one word, a word choice I figured people would know was meant to be a bit hyperbolic. Your insistence on taking it completely literally sounds a little robotic, I've got to be honest.

There are more interesting things to discuss about this show than making it all about how it's wrong to characterize its trend as smaller than another trend or whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Why Funimation is the only dubbing studio for anime television series and films in the United States?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Rose wrote:
Yatterman Night is excellent at tonal shifts, and episode 3 showcased that perfectly.

Yeah, I think this is where the series most stands out both from others and from initial expectations. So many other series - even good ones! - stumble badly on this point, but YN is perfectly seamless in how it manages this. That allows it to use elements that would otherwise be entirely goofy distractions without interrupting the dramatic or sentimental flow of the story.

Quote:
Honestly, I readily await whatever this show has up its sleeves, if it keeps being this good.

My sentiments also. Based on the first three episodes, this is my #1 show of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This episode also continues to reward those familiar with the original Yatterman series in little ways and big ones. Galina and Alouette bear more than a passing resemblance to the main Yatterman heroes in the original '70s cartoon, and their first names also sound similar. Combined with the fact that Alouette reminds Leopard of her mother (down to sharing a seiyuu, Shizuka Itou)
Not just that, they share voice actors with the Yatterman of the 2008 remake.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
Why Funimation is the only dubbing studio for anime television series and films in the United States?

Not only FUNimation - other anime distributors (that also dub some of their content) include Sentai Filmworks and its many offshots, Viz Media, Pony Canyon USA, Aniplex USA, and NISA. Discotek also releases older shows that may have had previously produced dubs here in North America.

Anime dubbing studios off the top of my head include: Bang Zoom, Studiopolis, NYAV Post, FUNimation and Sentai Filmworks' in-house studios, New Generation Pictures, and the (Canadian) Ocean Studios.

A better question is, where does this question come from in regards to a discussion about the simulcating Yatterman Night?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I've actually seen quite a few people complain about the tonal shifts in this series so I think YMMV but I am also really enjoying it. It helps that all the characters are very appealing to me (with the exception of maybe Aloutte) I like their archetypes.

Aloutte is the only weak link for me so far but I suppose she has room to grow and get over the "helpless blind girl" archetype especially if she is the descendant of the former Yatterman.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I also have to agree, this is probably one of my favorite shows of the season. Not only, like it was said here, does it do tonal shifts well, but the characters are likable and easy to root for. It can also be unexpected. Logical questions like, "How do they build these ridiculous robots?" fly out the window thanks to its consistent and well paced sense of drama. You do not care how they do it, just that it works! The story has a clearer picture of where it is going, yet it still feels like it is full of possibilities. That is creative feet difficult to achieve. I look forward to seeing what happens next.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
"Yatterman Night is excellent at tonal shifts, and episode 3 showcased that perfectly."

I won't belabor the point here too much since I largely said this last week already but I could not disagree more with this sentiment. The wildly discordant tone of this show is by far its biggest flaw and the largest stumbling block to my enjoyment of it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the show for the reasons Rose gives, though I'm not as enthusiastic as some.

One thing that is bugging me something bad but no one else appears to have mentioned and that's Leopard's screech voice. It's like having the inside of my head sandpapered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4