• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Maria the Virgin Witch

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Are you guys missing the fact that Bernard had no idea of commissioning the rape of Maria until he learned that doing so would strip her of her powers? To him this is just a means to a very convenient end -- although the guy is a total bastard there is no reason to believe that he was doing it for the prurient purpose.

This was part of the point I was making when I said it was "transactional rape." I don't think the fact that it is transactional somehow makes it better thematically. In fact I think it kind of exacerbates the issue of objectification in many ways to make it transactional.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
A thought just occurred to me and I'm wondering if it has already been explained in the show and I missed it. It has clearly been established that Maria will lose the ability to do magic if she loses her virginity. But she's the only witch subject to this penalty, correct? Viv seems to have sex and she's can still use magic.

I'd be surprised if the show doesn't address this (if it hasn't already).
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
A thought just occurred to me and I'm wondering if it has already been explained in the show and I missed it. It has clearly been established that Maria will lose the ability to do magic if she loses her virginity. But she's the only witch subject to this penalty, correct? Viv seems to have sex and she's can still use magic.

My assumption was that this was just a special condition placed on her by God/Michael.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
That was a condition imposed on her, specifically, by God through Michael. It takes place after they have their fight, and it's meant to test her willingness to give up personal happiness in service of her cause (rather than just "I do whatever I feel like when there are things I don't like in front of me"). It wouldn't apply to other witches, and it's not a "magic powers can only be used by virgins" kind of thing.

Honestly, I wish they had explored the issue a bit more, because even though it's supposed to impose a level of self-reflection on Maria, she never really thinks about it again, and it's only coming up now in a manner completely unrelated to the tradeoff it was supposed to impose, which, in my mind, makes it less an issue of Maria's character and more just another bad thing that might happen to her. I would have found it more interesting if Bertrand's plan was to have Joseph bone her in the typical, consensual fashion, where she might actually have to think about what's important to her, although that may have been giving a little too much power to Christianity's views to fit with this show.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

My assumption was that this was just a special condition placed on her by God/Michael.

I thought it was pretty clear in that early episode. He was actually persuaded into imposing that condition (Joseph shot him with a crossbow bolt!) instead of just summarily nullifying her powers on the spot.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When a person has committed rape, however, the first thing we do is shut down our ability to empathize with them. They become inhumanly evil, so their crime can be isolated rather than addressed.

high school of the dead does play nicely with this when spoiler[the guy who tried to rape one of the female characters does a very noble act of self-sacrifice to save the lifes of the other members of the team, even his parting words are something like "you just assumed I was a bad person only because I tried to rape that girl". ]
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Really, was I the only one who saw the damn valkyries? Really? It was subtle, but it also furthered Cernunnos' idea: there are still many creatures other than God and his Angels in which people used to believe in (witches, for example).

In any case, I don't think Bernard has been naïve on his approach or ultimately inefficent, he's clearly been working smoothly to sever Maria's ties with society overall, and that has obviously been the strongest point of this episode, getting rid of Maria in a direct way it's just to finish the job, to show that God's ways are never wrong and will punish any witch. Not only that, ironically enough, Maria can't use her magic since Ezekiel would definetely kill her in the spot, so that also brings more tension to the deal.

And I agree with the review about Galfa, although I think it should be worded in other way. Galfa is entertaining to watch, whether you sympathize with him or not is up to the viewer, but nevertheless his appearences always have been interesting to watch, especially since everyone thought "Oh well he's gonna help Joseph or die who cares anyway" but then he turned out to be an incredible example of how, ironically, Church ends up twisting it's own idea and religion and rewarding the bastard who would kill anybody for money and power, the fact that Galfa's methods work should be frightnening, not Galfa himself, and funny enough, those methods, one way or another, still work in these days. That's why him being ordered to rape Maria is supposed to be so strong, like "Look, this is how one builds power, they screw over anyone whose interests aren't convenient to yours and they'll force you to think they're doing the right thing". I don't exactly sympathize with him but I do find him extremely interesting.

And regarding the thing about Maria's "test" by Michael, I think she never mentioned it again directly because she already said "I'm not gonna ever give my powers!"and we should assume that she at least never plans to give away her virginity until wars are over (secretely, I hope she never does and Joseph accepts to be in a relationship with her so I can go all 'awww').

On a last note, I think no one ever came here for a super duper cliff-hangering series, the message, the characters and overall the storytelling are clearly more relevant than a very complex plot.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
This was part of the point I was making when I said it was "transactional rape." I don't think the fact that it is transactional somehow makes it better thematically. In fact I think it kind of exacerbates the issue of objectification in many ways to make it transactional.

The fact there is a transaction doesn't really make it a case of "objectification" in terms of how the show is presenting the situation. Definitely not in the sexual sense. In context, it's much more important that the would-be victim has in fact been treated as a person by the narrative all along and the would-be culprit is also a fallible human being, capable of both good and evil, whose own views aren't that laser-focused on committing the act, despite his admitted ambitions and understandable grudge.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Really, was I the only one who saw the damn valkyries? Really?

No, I noticed them, too, and did wonder about them. Given the appearance of the old god later in the episode and what he said, they probably were there to illustrate how the were being pushed out by the growing dominance of the Church, hence them leaving in disgust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

The fact there is a transaction doesn't really make it a case of "objectification" in terms of how the show is presenting the situation. Definitely not in the sexual sense. In context, it's much more important that the would-be victim has in fact been treated as a person by the narrative all along and the would-be culprit is also a fallible human being, capable of both good and evil, whose own views aren't that laser-focused on committing the act, despite his admitted ambitions and understandable grudge.

It makes it more objectifying because making her rape into a transaction does much more to take away her personhood.

If someone commits a non-transactional rape, they are doing it because, like we said before, they are just extremely evil or twisted, or maybe insane. The action becomes a commentary on the despicable nature and lack of humanity of the rapist.

However, when it becomes transactional, it becomes a more direct commentary on the perceived lack of personhood of the victim. Here, we have a man of God and another dude entering into a transaction, logically deciding how and when she will be raped, as if she is just some piece of meat being traded in the market. The story doesn't specifically make either of these men out to be evil, they are just doing shady business. That's how it is being portrayed. I do think that does more to take away Maria's personhood.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

It makes it more objectifying because making her rape into a transaction does much more to take away her personhood.

If someone commits a non-transactional rape, they are doing it because, like we said before, they are just extremely evil or twisted, or maybe insane. The action becomes a commentary on the despicable nature and lack of humanity of the rapist.

However, when it becomes transactional, it becomes a more direct commentary on the perceived lack of personhood of the victim. Here, we have a man of God and another dude entering into a transaction, logically deciding how and when she will be raped, as if she is just some piece of meat being traded in the market. The story doesn't specifically make either of these men out to be evil, they are just doing shady business. That's how it is being portrayed. I do think that does more to take away Maria's personhood.

You have this completely backwards.

If the goal of a rape existing in a narrative is to "make the rapist evil to the audience," the action becomes completely created for and focused on the characterization of the "bad man," which absolutely objectifies the victim. The woman in this case becomes a means to an end, a "thing that happened" to paint another character as evil, only mattering as a victim or consequence of some other person's actions. "She" could be anyone. A woman that's assaulted to show that a rapist is EVIL is very directly being treated as an object by the story. As you put it:

Quote:
The action becomes a commentary on the despicable nature and lack of humanity of the rapist.

Rapists are extremely human. Most rape is committed by friends of the victim, not strangers. Most rape occurs because people's trust is betrayed in a private setting by someone they thought they were safe with.

By contrast:

Quote:
However, when it becomes transactional, it becomes a more direct commentary on the perceived lack of personhood of the victim. Here, we have a man of God and another dude entering into a transaction, logically deciding how and when she will be raped, as if she is just some piece of meat being traded in the market.

YES. This is de-objectification, not the reverse! This is a story grabbing you and directly telling you "Isn't it awful that this person is being treated like a thing? Isn't it awful that these two complex, partially sympathetic dudes are considering this?" Because guess what? Complex, normal dudes that ring up your groceries, are nice enough to wave you into their lane during rush hour, and laugh three seats down from you at a movie, are capable of and many times secretly have raped a woman before. It does not make those victims people any less, and it doesn't make the rapists people any less either. The story is forcing you to confront this horrible thing being used as a bargaining chip and find it cruel and unfair. Bernard even tries to get Galfa to justify it by calling it understandable vengeance.

Quote:
The story doesn't specifically make either of these men out to be evil, they are just doing shady business.

The fact that they see it as shady business is in itself evil. You are not meant to see it that way. The narrative is framing Bernard as an evil hypocritical slimeball as hard as it possibly can, and Galfa as a tragic victim of his own ambition. They're not good men, but even bad men don't sit around going "bwa ha ha, I enjoy being evil." Even bad men do what they believe to be right or justified in some way. It's your part as the viewer to see this and say "They're wrong. This is wrong." That's good character writing, above and beyond "good people are pure good" and "evil people are pure evil," relying instead on honest depictions of human behavior and a viewer's outside perspective to see the truth or falseness in their complex points of view.

tl;dr Of course rape is evil and wrong and horrible. The story shouldn't have to have its rapists say "I'm bad and evil" for you to know that the rape stuff is bad and evil.

Last edited by JacobC on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
jroa wrote:

Yes, because he is the villain? What did you expect, for him to consider how horrible of an act rape is if the affected one is, considering his religion, someone to be destroyed and erradicated and then reflect how cruel he is when he obviously thinks he's not? Isn't the basic idea of a villain to tell us what would be the opposite perspective of the protagonist?

Bernard obviously would want anyone to think what he is doing is right because that's his role as antagonist, not the show's message or the author on a whole. That's like saying Frieza made us think all Saiyajins should be killed because they're just filthy monkeys instead of trying to sympathize with Goku and Vegeta, of course the villain doesn't want anything good for the protagonist on plenty of different levels. Bernard is clearly going all the way, as it would be basically killing her identity.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
Personally I never liked Galfa, and I am not surprised that he has gotten in on the deal to rape Maria. I don't think it demeans Maria as a person, the men are the ones that are looking in-humane, perhaps extend it to Galfa's lady seems to be going along with Galfa's dark side.

People are defined by their choices, and the bad guys in this might not be pure evil/unrealistic, but they are wrong.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
Actually, I'm not sure what I thought of episode 8. There was some good stuff going on in there (and this is definitely one of the better shows of the season), but there were also a number of moments that felt like minor mis-steps to me.

The "conversion" of Martha' felt rather shoddily done. The whole scene feels a bit rushed for a major development in what's been a significant plot-thread of the series. She was getting medicine from Person A, which helps her, then she gets medicine from Person B, which apparently helps her as well, so she's quite happy to believe Person A was evil when she's told so? There's probably a logic in there somewhere and the scene could definitely have been made to work, but the rather cursory treatment in episode 8 just didn't convince me.

Also, episode 8 marks a break with the historical realism that the show has gone with for its non-magical elements so far. The depiction of medicine is completely wrong, both in its effectiveness and in how it is administered. I'd accepted that a witch's medicine could sit outside those rules because of magic (the witches have, so far, sat alone outside the "realistic" world). But given that a major point of the series is that the Church doesn't actually have magic itself, the Bishop's medicine should have no such power.

Also, Galfa's prosthetic arm is centuries before its time. He's also back on his feet much, much quicker than somebody who has lost a major limb would have been with the medicine at the time (or indeed, with modern medicine).

Those are minor points of detail, but this is a show that's put a lot of effort thus far into getting the detail right and avoiding anachronisms. It just contributes to my feeling that episode 8 was a rushed and sloppily done one.

Oh, and while I'm at it, the whole challenge-to-Galfa's-leadership thing felt like a subplot that was introduced and discarded in a great hurry. I'd been expecting them to make more out of that, but it looks like it's over already.

Is the show perhaps being constrained now by its 1-cour length? It feels like they've got a lot to get through and they're struggling to cram things into the episodes they have left. After the awesomeness of episode 7, this felt like a step back.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:

The "conversion" of Martha' felt rather shoddily done. The whole scene feels a bit rushed for a major development in what's been a significant plot-thread of the series. She was getting medicine from Person A, which helps her, then she gets medicine from Person B, which apparently helps her as well, so she's quite happy to believe Person A was evil when she's told so? There's probably a logic in there somewhere and the scene could definitely have been made to work, but the rather cursory treatment in episode 8 just didn't convince me.

To me it felt more she realized the pressure that was being applied to her by the bishops. If she didn't denounce Maria she knew she and her family would be on the wrong side of the Church. Not that she instantly had a change of heart and now believes Maria to be the devil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 24