• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Maria the Virgin Witch

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:

The "conversion" of Martha' felt rather shoddily done. The whole scene feels a bit rushed for a major development in what's been a significant plot-thread of the series. She was getting medicine from Person A, which helps her, then she gets medicine from Person B, which apparently helps her as well, so she's quite happy to believe Person A was evil when she's told so? There's probably a logic in there somewhere and the scene could definitely have been made to work, but the rather cursory treatment in episode 8 just didn't convince me.

There's a reason the camera goes to her vision, and how weak and unfocused it is. She's not getting better thanks to the church. She's dying and she knows it. Her vision rests on Ann as she decides to repent, because if she does not then the church (who are now more than ever a controlling interest in the town) would take it out on her family if she did not. Bernard painting her living just long enough to repent as a miracle and Maria as a villain is not shown as convincing to her, but a sermon to the rest of the town. The true victim of the scene is Ann, who is too young to understand Martha's actions.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Rogueywon wrote:

The "conversion" of Martha' felt rather shoddily done. The whole scene feels a bit rushed for a major development in what's been a significant plot-thread of the series. She was getting medicine from Person A, which helps her, then she gets medicine from Person B, which apparently helps her as well, so she's quite happy to believe Person A was evil when she's told so? There's probably a logic in there somewhere and the scene could definitely have been made to work, but the rather cursory treatment in episode 8 just didn't convince me.

To me it felt more she realized the pressure that was being applied to her by the bishops. If she didn't denounce Maria she knew she and her family would be on the wrong side of the Church. Not that she instantly had a change of heart and now believes Maria to be the devil.

I could accept that entirely as an explanation and subsequent episodes might show that you are correct. But I don't think it's really what the episode showed on screen. The Bishop isn't there with an entourage of soldiers and he isn't peppering his talk with veiled (or unveiled) threats. For a major scene, it is over and done with very quickly and without much in the way of context.

My complaint isn't with the logic of the show (on this point, at least), but rather with how the episode, and this scene in particular, was directed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
I thought that perhaps the haze was indicative that the "medicine" she was under had left her in a susceptible state. The church did not really give her some miracle cure but actually something that had dulled her pain and clouded her mind (a drug).
KuroiEr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
I've always found it weird how rape obsessed Americans tend to be. Galfa is a man that murders people for money, but its his planned rape of maria that makes him bad? Why is "transactional rape", as some have put it, worse than transactional murder? The creators even go out of their way to humanize the soldiers in the conflict through Anne's Father. How many people like him didn't go home to their family because Galfa killed them for gold?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

It makes it more objectifying because making her rape into a transaction does much more to take away her personhood.

You have this completely backwards.

No, I don't:

Wikipedia wrote:

Objectification:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In social philosophy, objectification means treating a person as a thing...

According to the philosopher Martha Nussbaum, a person might be objectified if one or a selection of the following properties are adhered to:

Instrumentality - as a tool for another's purposes: "The objectifier treats the object as a tool of his or her purposes"

Denial of Autonomy - as if lacking in agency or self-determination: "The objectifier treats the object as lacking in autonomy and self-determination"

Violability - as if permissible to damage or destroy (Violence): "The objectifier treats the object as lacking in boundary integrity, as something that it is permissible to break up, smash, break into"

I am hitting this dead on.

JesuOtaku wrote:

If the goal of a rape existing in a narrative is to "make the rapist evil to the audience," the action becomes completely created for and focused on the characterization of the "bad man," which absolutely objectifies the victim. The woman in this case becomes a means to an end, a "thing that happened" to paint another character as evil, only mattering as a victim or consequence of some other person's actions. "She" could be anyone. A woman that's assaulted to show that a rapist is EVIL is very directly being treated as an object by the story.

Not necessarily. The shows that Gabriella gave, for example, are ones where the victim of the attempted rape (or the actual rape) is one of the main characters. This is often the case. The two girls in SAO and Satsuki from KlK are fully realized characters that are integral to the plot and in some instances, drivers of the plot. They aren't just random faceless, nameless girls thrown in for a quick scene so they can be raped just to show how evil the bad guy is. If you wanted an example of something like that, you could look at the girl that Galfa has sex with when he pisses off that knight. THAT would be an example of a throw-away girl who was just put in there for the sole purpose of being a sexual tool. The examples we were talking about however involve victims who are important characters. Usually the audience is made to identify with them and sympathize with them. Their personhood is strengthened in the aftermath, whereas the villain's humanity is stripped away.

The difference is that, when it becomes transactional, there isn't the same ratio of: Villain humanity going down, victim humanity going up. In the transactional situation, the villain is portrayed as simply doing something he/she has a right to do, as they would have a right to sell some livestock or buy some grain (or in the case of this show, buy a prostitute.) As for the victim, it's not a question of their humanity going up as it is that their humanity is totally stripped away. They aren't a person, they are an object. Again, this is the essence of objectification.

Just to clarify one more time (and I'll quote myself again too):

Chibikangaroo wrote:
The action becomes a commentary on the despicable nature and lack of humanity of the rapist.

Just because the rapist's humanity goes down doesn't mean that the victim's humanity doesn't go up. In most instances, (particularly where the victim is a main character) shows endeavor to place the victim on a pedestal. So I think you are wrong about how those types of scenarios increase the objectification. (Even the point you make about most rapists being friends/family of the victim supports this. The victim is more likely to be a person who is important to the story and who we identify with than a throw-away object that we never see again.)

JesuOtaku wrote:
Chibikangaroo wrote:
However, when it becomes transactional, it becomes a more direct commentary on the perceived lack of personhood of the victim. Here, we have a man of God and another dude entering into a transaction, logically deciding how and when she will be raped, as if she is just some piece of meat being traded in the market.

YES. This is de-objectification, not the reverse! This is a story grabbing you and directly telling you "Isn't it awful that this person is being treated like a thing? Isn't it awful that these two complex, partially sympathetic dudes are considering this?"

I don't agree. The story isn't grabbing us and directly telling us how awful it is. If that were the case, we wouldn't see the two guys as partially sympathetic. We would see them as totally evil. You are drawing your own conclusion about what the story is telling us based upon your interpretation, not based on anything that the story is directly telling us. The only thing we are directly being told is that these two guys appear to have the legitimacy to decide that Maria is a possession of sorts and that they can stand there casually deciding when and how she will be raped. When they do that, there is no bolt of lightning that comes down from the heavens and strikes them dead. No evil music plays. They don't twirl any mustaches. They are portrayed as completely rational businessmen entering into a business transaction.

Don't get me wrong. I see the point you are trying to make. You believe that by showing that, the show is telling us to think the opposite of what we are seeing. You believe we are supposed to watch that and be so much more disgusted with it than we would be by a non-transactional rape, that it should automatically make us see Maria as less of an object. I just don't think it works that way. We don't see a cut away to Maria's reaction as these two men talk about the business of her rape. We don't get any idea about how this affects her other than the idea that she won't be a bother to them anymore. This is not the opposite of objectification, not on its face. The only way you can get there is by making that personal interpretation for yourself and I think it is a pretty big stretch.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I thought that perhaps the haze was indicative that the "medicine" she was under had left her in a susceptible state. The church did not really give her some miracle cure but actually something that had dulled her pain and clouded her mind (a drug).

Nope. The series has implied since the beginning that her eyesight is very bad. (Watch earlier episodes carefully and you'll see where she reaches around a bit for her medicine.) That's why I thought the use of a cloudy filter when we see through her eyes was a great choice.

And I don't think you guys are giving Martha enough credit. She knows Maria well, and she's not a fool. Given where her gaze is tracking, the flash to a saddened Maria, and the way the birds fly off, her "I understand" is an indicator that she realizes that the Church can no longer be openly refuted if she wants to consider the well-being of her family. (That is definitely historically accurate, too, as the waves of witch-burnings in Europe get underway not too long after this point.) The direction here is actually very specific about how it is framing the scene.

Rogueywon wrote:
Also, episode 8 marks a break with the historical realism that the show has gone with for its non-magical elements so far. The depiction of medicine is completely wrong, both in its effectiveness and in how it is administered. I'd accepted that a witch's medicine could sit outside those rules because of magic (the witches have, so far, sat alone outside the "realistic" world). But given that a major point of the series is that the Church doesn't actually have magic itself, the Bishop's medicine should have no such power.

How is it wrong? And what power do you think it's showing? It's not like they didn't have medicines at that time which could help certain kinds of ailments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Rogueywon wrote:
Also, episode 8 marks a break with the historical realism that the show has gone with for its non-magical elements so far. The depiction of medicine is completely wrong, both in its effectiveness and in how it is administered. I'd accepted that a witch's medicine could sit outside those rules because of magic (the witches have, so far, sat alone outside the "realistic" world). But given that a major point of the series is that the Church doesn't actually have magic itself, the Bishop's medicine should have no such power.

How is it wrong? And what power do you think it's showing? It's not like they didn't have medicines at that time which could help certain kinds of ailments.

I could go into a lot of detail here if necessary, but the medical practice of the time was not so big on taking medicine. Prayer and letting blood (via leeches or incision) were more common. Where oral medicine was administered, it was likely to be a purgative (in which case, Martha would not be lying sweetly in bed but would be busy being... erm... messily biological). The idea that you take a pill or drink a liquid that makes you better is a modern one, in Europe at least. Maria's magical-medicine can be excused - it's magic, after all, so real-world constraints don't apply - but the Church's medicine wouldn't have been like this. In fact, I'm a bit nervous about a member of the clergy even being shown administering medicine; the Church of the time generally preached that all illnesses were punishments from God and that prayer and repentance were the cures. This put it at odds with the medical schools that began to emerge in the late Middle Ages.

And if Martha's medicine is on dubious historical grounds, then Galfa being fitted with a modern prosthetic and being back on his feet within a few days of losing an arm is much, much worse. At the very least, he would have faced a lengthy struggle against infection. The whole weaponised-prosthetic thing felt more in keeping with Full Metal Alchemist or something than this show. I was disappointed (not a criticism of FMA, which never tries to set itself within real-world rules in the same way Maria has).
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And I don't think you guys are giving Martha enough credit. She knows Maria well, and she's not a fool. Given where her gaze is tracking, the flash to a saddened Maria, and the way the birds fly off, her "I understand" is an indicator that she realizes that the Church can no longer be openly refuted if she wants to consider the well-being of her family. (That is definitely historically accurate, too, as the waves of witch-burnings in Europe get underway not too long after this point.) The direction here is actually very specific about how it is framing the scene.

I think you are correct here that the story is intending us to see this scene as a sort of mafia type situation. Bernard is giving Martha coded messaging saying that her family will be in danger if she doesn't renounce Maria. However, I don't think that is a good explanation about why Martha doesn't set them straight after Bernard leaves. I would think she would have told them that she had to say that to protect them, and that they should keep that in mind going forward. This is particularly the case because she knows Anne likes Maria. She would have to expect that Anne is going to see Maria again and might start saying good things about Maria again, so it would be wise to warn her as well.

Quote:

It was slightly brow-raising to hear Bernard say that after he gave Martha his medicine, she was suddenly up on her feet. It made it sound like some kind of miracle cure. Maybe he was just exaggerating for effect, but that was the only part that made me question whether he was implying some kind of magic or if he had gotten his medicine from another witch.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
@Kangaroo

I really think you're taking it way too far, and honestly you are the only one that feels like Maria being treated as something less than a person is actually the show's message. I still don't get what difference does the so called "transactional rape" means, it is another horryfing method villains commonly use to destroy the protagonists, just like killing their parents, or friends, burning down their village, and it's there to make us really feel the villain is doing the evil thing, Bernard's case probably strikes stronger since it is shown as an abuse of power rather than an unhealthy and creepy lust on Maria, I don't even see Galfa being happy or glad that he is going to rape a witch.

I mean, yeah, fantastic, you deconstructed what basically Bernard is doing, but you're interpreting it as if the show is supposed to have that message and it's obviously it is not. You're just putting Bernard in the position of the protagonist (the one we should root for, which is actually Maria) instead of the villain and taking the wrong conclusion out of it.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Not necessarily. The shows that Gabriella gave, for example, are ones where the victim of the attempted rape (or the actual rape) is one of the main characters. This is often the case. The two girls in SAO and Satsuki from KlK are fully realized characters that are integral to the plot and in some instances, drivers of the plot. They aren't just random faceless, nameless girls thrown in for a quick scene so they can be raped just to show how evil the bad guy is. If you wanted an example of something like that, you could look at the girl that Galfa has sex with when he pisses off that knight. THAT would be an example of a throw-away girl who was just put in there for the sole purpose of being a sexual tool. The examples we were talking about however involve victims who are important characters. Usually the audience is made to identify with them and sympathize with them. Their personhood is strengthened in the aftermath, whereas the villain's humanity is stripped away.

"Hey, I need to show the villain being the evilest of evil and the girl super weak and broken. What can I do...? Oh I know, rape! That way the villain will be this 100% evilness encarnated that jerks off about how evil he/she is, and we all know rape is and will be the worst thing it can happen to a woman and they become totally helpless and destroyed. Yey, I did it without working anymore in their characters or motivations!".

That's the problem with those kind of scenes, cheap dramatic effect that hope to win you because of the act itself, and from the victim you think "poor poor poor poor poor" and that's it, that's the purpose, a loop of "poor"s with nothing else to say about it. With Galfa and the other woman in episode 5 , you can tell much more about how these issues were managed in those years (about honor, property of women [Galfa clamored that while he seduced her, she accepted him by free will to have sex for one night] and how Galfa treats the knight and her after that, in a "dat sucks but I don't care, that's how things are", and therefore, the rest of the world) and it was a Galfa episode destinated to define Galfa and from the point of view of Galfa and Joseph, not the others (you don't see either the knight killing himself). Even then, we know enough about the knight and the lady to know what they are going through, they are not the main focus but they had presence enough and I can tell enough things about them and their motivations.

Quote:
The difference is that, when it becomes transactional, there isn't the same ratio of: Villain humanity going down, victim humanity going up. In the transactional situation, the villain is portrayed as simply doing something he/she has a right to do, as they would have a right to sell some livestock or buy some grain (or in the case of this show, buy a prostitute.) As for the victim, it's not a question of their humanity going up as it is that their humanity is totally stripped away. They aren't a person, they are an object. Again, this is the essence of objectification.

If your view of conflicts are "if you try to analyze one side [villain], then you detest the other [victim]", well, I disagree for obvious reasons. Just because villains have a motivation behind their horrible actions, it doesn't mean they are not wrong or "geez, victims, don't blame them so much".

Quote:
I don't agree. The story isn't grabbing us and directly telling us how awful it is. If that were the case, we wouldn't see the two guys as partially sympathetic. We would see them as totally evil. You are drawing your own conclusion about what the story is telling us based upon your interpretation, not based on anything that the story is directly telling us. The only thing we are directly being told is that these two guys appear to have the legitimacy to decide that Maria is a possession of sorts and that they can stand there casually deciding when and how she will be raped. When they do that, there is no bolt of lightning that comes down from the heavens and strikes them dead. No evil music plays. They don't twirl any mustaches. They are portrayed as completely rational businessmen entering into a business transaction.

What... So unless a scene and characters are like what you said, is going to be "justifying rape now the victim doesn't matter"? 1-It's a crime motivated by hate and revenge, they explicitly said it. 2-Galfa calls Bernard a devil when he proposes that and he excuses it as he can, just look the framing and music back then. Unless you want a cartel in screen saying "THIS IS WRONG, THIS IS WRONG", I don't know what you mean, the show is so blatantly obvious about it, it's like whenever you see a bully beating a kid somebody said "oh no, bullying is wrong", it goes without saying. If your solution is "make the rapists totally evil monsters with nothing that would drive a character with hate and revenge to such acts, just because rapists spend all day raping and saying how evil they are and will be for eternity, or else you are justifying their actions", well, then I'll just say I completely disagree and that doesn't help to analyze and trying to solve an issue that is more complex than "villains and victims".
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
@Kangaroo

I really think you're taking it way too far, and honestly you are the only one that feels like Maria being treated as something less than a person is actually the show's message. I still don't get what difference does the so called "transactional rape" means, it is another horryfing method villains commonly use to destroy the protagonists, just like killing their parents, or friends, burning down their village, and it's there to make us really feel the villain is doing the evil thing, Bernard's case probably strikes stronger since it is shown as an abuse of power rather than an unhealthy and creepy lust on Maria, I don't even see Galfa being happy or glad that he is going to rape a witch.

I mean, yeah, fantastic, you deconstructed what basically Bernard is doing, but you're interpreting it as if the show is supposed to have that message and it's obviously it is not. You're just putting Bernard in the position of the protagonist (the one we should root for, which is actually Maria) instead of the villain and taking the wrong conclusion out of it.

I haven't said that was the message of the show. I am talking about the effect. I'm not making a commentary saying the writers want us to cheer for rapists. The effect is that Maria is objectified, just as other women in the show have been objectified. Different people may take different messages from that.

Now, given that the review I am responding to has a reviewer saying that the rape here was handled in such a way that left the villain(s) partially sympathetic, again I think that is one thing that someone might take away from it. There are a lot of things you could take away from it, but the effect is the same.

justsomeaccount wrote:
With Galfa and the other woman in episode 5 , you can tell much more about how these issues were managed in those years (about honor, property of women [Galfa clamored that while he seduced her, she accepted him by free will to have sex for one night] and how Galfa treats the knight and her after that, in a "dat sucks but I don't care, that's how things are", and therefore, the rest of the world) and it was a Galfa episode destinated to define Galfa and from the point of view of Galfa and Joseph, not the others (you don't see either the knight killing himself).

Don't you realize you are just making my point? You are saying again and again that the woman who Galfa had sex with in that episode was completely objectified and had no purpose in the story whatsoever other than be used sexually by Galfa and for Galfa's development.

justsomeaccount wrote:

If your view of conflicts are "if you try to analyze one side [villain], then you detest the other [victim]", well, I disagree for obvious reasons. Just because villains have a motivation behind their horrible actions, it doesn't mean they are not wrong or "geez, victims, don't blame them so much".

Straw man argument. This was never argued.

justsomeaccount wrote:

What... So unless a scene and characters are like what you said, is going to be "justifying rape now the victim doesn't matter"? 1-It's a crime motivated by hate and revenge, they explicitly said it. 2-Galfa calls Bernard a devil when he proposes that and he excuses it as he can, just look the framing and music back then. Unless you want a cartel in screen saying "THIS IS WRONG, THIS IS WRONG", I don't know what you mean, the show is so blatantly obvious about it, it's like whenever you see a bully beating a kid somebody said "oh no, bullying is wrong", it goes without saying. If your solution is "make the rapists totally evil monsters with nothing that would drive a character with hate and revenge to such acts, just because rapists spend all day raping and saying how evil they are and will be for eternity, or else you are justifying their actions", well, then I'll just say I completely disagree and that doesn't help to analyze and trying to solve an issue that is more complex than "villains and victims".

Hey, Hope was the one saying the show was directly saying they were evil and doing the opposite of objectification. My point was that she is wrong. First of all, if the show was directly saying they were evil then we wouldn't have all this debate about whether they are sympathetic. We wouldn't be talking about how complex they are in that scene, as if they are just weighing two sides of a scale and one side barely outweighs the other. If the situation is as complex as people seem to think, then the show isn't directly saying anything, which is a big part of my point. The show is taking something that we would normally see as extremely abhorrent and putting it into a gray area where it can be debated up or down, and the antagonists are somewhat sympathetic because they are just weighing the positives and minuses of the act. (I think that is inherent to most business transactions, so it's not a big surprise that such concepts appear here.) I think that does more to objectify Maria. That is the point. This isn't some larger debate of a broad point about shows needing to declare people evil. You should stick to the debate we are actually having.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Don't you realize you are just making my point? You are saying again and again that the woman who Galfa had sex with in that episode was completely objectified and had no purpose in the story whatsoever other than be used sexually by Galfa and for Galfa's development.

If a minor role or being in the story because of other character is being objectified, that would mean 80% of minor characters in fiction are because they are "tools for the plot or characters". Which I'd understand if she was the only one, but the knight is as much as her so it's not only her, and you can tell from both what are their characters and why they act the way they act, and know how they are treated in the society, so it's addressing those issues and showing them so you see their acts in context. The only reason those two have minor presence is because that's how Galfa, the character, sees them, but his opinion about them is still addressed and shown, it's not "Galfa wins, we don't know anything more about them because who cares now" which would be objectifying, Joseph is concerned and asks him about them.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Straw man argument. This was never argued.

Then what do you mean with "transactional rape is wrong because it portraits the villains as doing something they have the right to do"? Assuming you don't mean the show supports that message, then it's the characters who think that, and that's the point, we learn about how their mindsets come to the conclusion and why it's wrong.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Hey, Hope was the one saying the show was directly saying they were evil and doing the opposite of objectification. My point was that she is wrong.

jesuotaku wrote:
The narrative is framing Bernard as an evil hypocritical slimeball as hard as it possibly can, and Galfa as a tragic victim of his own ambition. They're not good men, but even bad men don't sit around going "bwa ha ha, I enjoy being evil." Even bad men do what they believe to be right or justified in some way. It's your part as the viewer to see this and say "They're wrong. This is wrong."

Bad men =/= Totally evil nothing-good men. About the sympathy thing, nobody is like "ohh poor misguided men, I would do the same in that situation", it's "well, I know now why their mindset would go to that conclusion, even though it's totally wrong and despicable", and the simpathy aspect comes from their previous grief and lives being ruined before, not their despicable actions afterwards.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I think you are correct here that the story is intending us to see this scene as a sort of mafia type situation. . . However, I don't think that is a good explanation about why Martha doesn't set them straight after Bernard leaves.

Gilbert hadn't left the village by the time the episode ended, so Martha has yet to have an opportunity to explain. Even if she doesn't, it's perfectly logical why she wouldn't: because she does not want Anne to continue to believe that associating with Maria is safe, even if she is a friend. The parents wouldn't need an explanation because they probably understand perfectly well.

Rogueywon wrote:
I could go into a lot of detail here if necessary, but the medical practice of the time was not so big on taking medicine. Prayer and letting blood (via leeches or incision) were more common. Where oral medicine was administered, it was likely to be a purgative (in which case, Martha would not be lying sweetly in bed but would be busy being... erm... messily biological). The idea that you take a pill or drink a liquid that makes you better is a modern one, in Europe at least.

Not sure where you're getting your information, but herbal remedies were commonplace throughout the Middle Ages, and definitely not just as purgatives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:

If a minor role or being in the story because of other character is being objectified, that would mean 80% of minor characters in fiction are because they are "tools for the plot or characters". Which I'd understand if she was the only one, but the knight is as much as her so it's not only her

The difference between the woman and the knight is that the knight gets agency and she doesn't. She is presented basically as this kind of loose woman who is easily seduced by Galfa (who seems like a pretty dirty, crude guy who's just constantly out having sex with prostitutes - you wouldn't think a woman of higher standing would be so easily transformed into just another of his prostitutes). After she has sex with him, she becomes a non-actor and disappears completely after the fight. However, the knight becomes an agent. He gets to challenge Galfa and has the ability to define his role and have his demands met. He becomes an opponent - a mini antagonist to Galfa for the climax of that episode. He becomes a person essentially, even if it only lasts one episode. That is a lot different than the woman, who is treated as just another of Galfa's quick lays.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Then what do you mean with "transactional rape is wrong because it portraits the villains as doing something they have the right to do"? Assuming you don't mean the show supports that message, then it's the characters who think that, and that's the point, we learn about how their mindsets come to the conclusion and why it's wrong.

I don't recall saying anything about transactional rape being "wrong." I said it is more objectifying of Maria. It's not as if there is a certain type of rape that is right vs wrong. All of them are "wrong." I am only speaking to the effect that this "transactional" type has on Maria's character. I think it objectifies her more than normal.

Quote:

Bad men =/= Totally evil nothing-good men. About the sympathy thing, nobody is like "ohh poor misguided men, I would do the same in that situation", it's "well, I know now why their mindset would go to that conclusion, even though it's totally wrong and despicable", and the simpathy aspect comes from their previous grief and lives being ruined before, not their despicable actions afterwards.

I think there's been a lot of double-speak on this point, with people wanting to say they are evil but also say at the same time they are sympathetic. I think that could be a separate debate. Personally, I think evil and/or bad guys need to have a hell of a lot more depth and positive attributes put into them before they can be considered sympathetic. If you want a perfect example of that, you can look at Bols from Akame ga Kill! That's a character where you can understand and have some sympathy for him even though he's committing evil acts, but that's because we are shown that he has a family that he cares about and he tries to help innocent children. We have none of that kind of depth with Bernard and Galfa, so I am not seeing where the sympathy is flowing from other than the pure fact that their decision to rape Maria is so business-like, and people find that less galling than if one of them were lusting after her.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
After she has sex with him, she becomes a non-actor and disappears completely after the fight.

In terms of what actions she does, yes, she cannot do anything because she's not allowed to, it's an obligated passive character, all the society treats her like an object without opinion. However I didn't feel the show ignored her as much despite her minor role, mainly because when they talk about her vanishing (which assumes the underlying pressure she had), and when Galfa said "I was the one who tried to seduce her, but after that was all of her own doing" she looked and heared it impassible and not feeling betrayed, sort of like "I'm not mad about this statement or him because it regognizes my choice" (even though it's clear Galfa didn't want to have all the fault, and that responsability under a woman's shoulders back then would be considered reprehensible for the rest, reason why she left). Maybe I'm reading too deep and I get what you mean (she has very little focus), but imo it has enough context about how she and the knight are treated and the focus of the episode, so it worked for me enough, that was the feeling I got with that episode. But different strokes I guess.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I don't recall saying anything about transactional rape being "wrong." I said it is more objectifying of Maria. It's not as if there is a certain type of rape that is right vs wrong. All of them are "wrong." I am only speaking to the effect that this "transactional" type has on Maria's character. I think it objectifies her more than normal.

I think if they are not focusing with Maria now is because it's not an issue for her right now, it looks like something it will be more treated once the moment gets a little closer, and so far they are still with Maria's consequences and lose of credibility on her.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
We have none of that kind of depth with Bernard and Galfa, so I am not seeing where the sympathy is flowing from other than the pure fact that their decision to rape Maria is so business-like, and people find that less galling than if one of them were lusting after her.

The sympathy for Galfa comes from his scenes before, not this one. It was when Galfa was drunk and telling his dreams, when he thanked Joseph's concern for him when he was on the edge, when he wanted to pay back Joseph no matter what because that's the way it works in the mercenary world and how to live in it, how Maria's actions basically make him have the blame for everything, etc. He has both good and bad qualities, and that's where some audience can sympathize with him despite not being a good fella. Back then, not with the discussion of the rape or when he killed his boss.

In terms of Bernard I can agree more with you, I guess when he tries to collaborate with Maria (fails though) or when he thought everything would be fine for their side is screwed by her are the only moments that aspire to that, but aside of that he's a (kind of self-aware) hypocrite that manipulates religion to his own agency.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 24