• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Maria the Virgin Witch

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
^
I'll send you a PM.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see it stick the landing. Maria was the biggest surprise of the season for sure, and quickly finding a place among my favorites of all time. Following it every week and discussing it with friends has been a highlight of this winter. It's rare to find a show where you can have discussions on religion, sexuality, patriarchy, and owls with actual validity and depth.

I wanted to thank Gabriella again for such thoughtful reviews each week. You definitely put in the work to analyze it to such a degree and I'm going to miss not only the show but also your interpretation. Hopefully you land upon another gem in the coming season. Until then I will forever treasure this show by keeping it in mind in discussions of feminist anime, and by mashing together songs with gifs of dancing owls.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

And by the way, I think I should add that I have no problem with you trying to keep threads properly moderated.

It wouldn't matter if you did have a problem with it. "I don't have a problem with you arresting me officer, but..." That's nice, I don't care.

You know, I don't like to stick my nose in stuff too much, but it doesn't really feel right when a moderator compares a forum goer to a criminal for doing nothing more then voicing their opinion.

Opinions don't have to be the same, and all I've seen is the forum goers here (all of them) interacting in heated, but still civil discussion. If there is something wrong with that, JO, then it seems like you're more the one with the problem.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Eldritcho wrote:

You know, I don't like to stick my nose in stuff too much, but it doesn't really feel right when a moderator compares a forum goer to a criminal for doing nothing more then voicing their opinion.

It's just a metaphor. Of course I'm not calling CK a criminal. Other metaphors that could be used to carry the same meaning include:

Guy at Grocery Store Counter says, "I don't have a problem with you charging me for this purchase, but..."

Guy in Stands at Sports Thing says, "I don't have a problem with you coaching this team, but..."

Or, abstracted as much as possible:
Random Guy says, "I don't have a problem with you doing your job, but..."

In all cases, this unnecessary statement deserves a world class Rolling Eyes and I just went with the cop example because that's sort of the easiest thing you can compare moderation duties to. The point still stands.

I'm rude and curt about it because CK's schtick is years old at this point, my patience for it ran out a long time ago, he should know that by now but for some reason doesn't, so now when I come into threads and tell him to stop being a passive-aggressive bully, I have to do it aggressively. It's a long-standing problem. In fact, I'm usually not the one dealing with it, other moderators and admins stepped in for past cases, but I primarily moderate the review and streaming review threads, so there we are.

I feel like I've made myself clear on this multiple times in TWO separate cases in this thread now, so that's the end of it. No more posts on the topic of CK's soapboxing issues. Period.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Maria spoiler[losing her powers] was extremely frustrating, and a huge mar on an otherwise perfect show. The initial compromise that Michael foisted onto her was nonsense, and Maria's realization that it is is what allows her to get over her doubt of the validity of her motivations and actions. That she still spoiler[loses her powers] undermines that realization by arbitrarily hindering her ability to do what she has learned she has no reason to doubt. The argument that she's "pushing her ideals onto others" is totally vacuous, and the show never once vindicates Michael's ultimatum, spoiler[but ultimately promulgates it anyway].

She literally says "I'll continue doing what I've been doing with or without my powers." and the show is like, "well, guess you get the latter if you want to have sex!"

Meanwhile, every other witch, including viv, is allowed to do whatever they want personally and publicly.

I'm very mad.

{I rearranged your spoiler tags so that users have a better idea of what is covered up. ~nobahn}
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 24 of 24