• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: The Origin Anime Unveils English Cast with Dubbed Trailer

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Will have to check out, though still would've preferred Michael Kopsa to be Char. Never heard Karen Strassman do a boy before.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool I'm continuing to look forward to this extremely obvious attention ploy from Sunrise #5,632. Glad Gundam seems to have completely abandoned Ocean and it's wooden stilted and confused voice acting for characters.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Ash is Char's mother. Mind blown.

Seriously though, haven't heard Veronica Taylor's voice in a long time(makes sense since she's worked on anime I dont watch in english anymore).
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
^I agree. Veronica Taylor was surprising.
Mecha Odyssey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to this! I'm surprised that I really enjoyed hearing that dub. I'm normally not a (modern) dub fan, but that was really good. Reminds me of the good old days of GitS:SAC and Cowboy Bebop dub quality.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
......Liam O'Brie and Banjou Ginga as Gihren Zabi.......

Shouldn't it be Liam O'Brien?
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
[quote="KH91"]Ash is Char's mother. Mind blown.

Seriously though, haven't heard Veronica Taylor's voice in a long time(makes sense since she's worked on anime I don't watch in english anymore).[/quote]

Have you seen Samurai Deeper Kyo? She was Yuya in the dub, I thought she did a decent job.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
Good to see Veronica Taylor's still doing rolls like this! I would say I haven't heard her voice in awhile, but I hear her almost everyday when I watch Astroblast on Sprout with my little nephew lol.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:
KH91 wrote:
Ash is Char's mother. Mind blown.

Seriously though, haven't heard Veronica Taylor's voice in a long time(makes sense since she's worked on anime I don't watch in english anymore).

Have you seen Samurai Deeper Kyo? She was Yuya in the dub, I thought she did a decent job.

Yeah. I watched it back in 06 when it was on Encore(along with Street Fighter, that deceiving Mirage of Blaze, etc.). One of the last anime's I watched in english. I was more hyped that Dan Green was in it since he played a familiar role.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote
I'm aware that the mecha are now done in CGI, but I have to say that this seems the way to do it. No pulled-down framerates to make it match, and flawless blending with the cell-shaded graphics. Not something out of a Ghibli film or Bahamut Genesis, but it looks pretty damn clean.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
Would this count as being a simuldub DVD wise?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Looks like a great cast! More Veronica Taylor is always a good thing. She actually popped up as some characters in Sailor Moon recently.

Just wondering: for someone who is NOT familiar with Gundam, would this be a decent place to start (being called "The Origin" and all)? The only other Gundam I've seen is Gundam Wing, and that was like 15 years ago when I was 6...
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
I'm aware that the mecha are now done in CGI, but I have to say that this seems the way to do it. No pulled-down framerates to make it match, and flawless blending with the cell-shaded graphics. Not something out of a Ghibli film or Bahamut Genesis, but it looks pretty damn clean.

I actually agree. It works really well in Unicorn too. CGI looks way better on mechanical objects in anime, especially when it's done well.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
I would start here, yes, or with the manga or the actual original Mobile Suit Gundam (which The Origin is a retelling of, of course), like I did. There are a bunch of different continuities of Gundam (I don't even remember which one Wing was part of, there's a Kotaku article that sorts them all out), but the one that Origin is part of (Universal Century) reflects the story that Yoshiyuki Tomino originally told through Mobile Suit, Zeta, ZZ, and Char's Counterattack.

Also, hasn't RightStuf licensed this? I don't think it mentions that in the article.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Just wondering: for someone who is NOT familiar with Gundam, would this be a decent place to start (being called "The Origin" and all)? The only other Gundam I've seen is Gundam Wing, and that was like 15 years ago when I was 6...

Hard to say, but my guess is probably not. It's called "The Origin" because it's based on a specific arc from "Gundam: The Origin" manga, which is a retelling of the 1979 series.

Your best bet is to either read that manga, watch the original series or compilation movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3