• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Show Announcements & Question Thread [Updated 5/19/15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the show suggestions! Keep 'em coming. I'm putting together a master list of shows we'll cover on the podcast; right now the idea is for shorter shows maybe covering 2 in one episode (like Haibane Renmei and Arjuna, which will be our next episode) while anything over 13 episodes gets its own podcast (the Brotherhood episode clocked in at about 2 hours).

I've never seen From The New World and it's yet another one of those series I always meant to check out. Doing these episodes is doing wonders for my literacy on stuff I just never had time for.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Also I am not sure if this is the place to ask but would ANNcast ever consider to interview the staff at Siren Visual? I realize they are not in the US but I find what they license (and what the U.S. doesn't) very unique. I'd love to hear more about their licensing strategy and why they go after certain series the U.S. does not.

Sure! I'll see if I can get in touch with them. You can absolutely make interview suggestions here - I'd really appreciate it!
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
On the note of Siren Visual, would it be possible to do an episode with some UK industry folk like Andrew Partridge?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
On the note of Siren Visual, would it be possible to do an episode with some UK industry folk like Andrew Partridge?

That's a great idea and I have contact info for Andrew so I'll get in touch.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I think Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex could be a really good series for the single-show episodes. It has a good amount of thoughtful material, and that Solid State Society movie has such an open ended resolution.

Another series that I think would be good is Moribito. Balsa is such a fascinating character to me, the likes of which you don't see in anime very often. She seems far more like an actual person than the bag of tropes and clichés you typically see.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
When you first started these single episode shows wasn't the intent to pick shows that had impact in the fan community or industry? If that's still the case I'll say you should definitely do Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It was on Adult Swim, and it seems like everybody and their brother has seen it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
When you first started these single episode shows wasn't the intent to pick shows that had impact in the fan community or industry? If that's still the case I'll say you should definitely do Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It was on Adult Swim, and it seems like everybody and their brother has seen it.

The idea is "shows we've never seen that had some measure of popularity" or "shows we've seen but haven't revisited in forever". But I'm not ruling out anything - limiting what we can or can't cover is just denying us and you content opportunities.

So basically anything at all is fair game and we'll decide if we want to do it or not. I'd imagine eventually we'll get to GITS at some point, but it's a lot of content and I'm not really a fan of the franchise so sitting through that much of it is kind of daunting. Eventually, I'm sure we will. It's too big a deal to ignore.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough. I think you should look at a sports show at some point. It's well known that Funimation has completely given up on the genre, because we tend to not like them here. As somebody who likes the genre, I think it would be fun to look at some of the reasons that people in the States tend to reject it. "I don't like baseball, so I won't like Cross Game" seems like it's a pretty popular sentiment. With 3 people, you should be able to get a mix of people who like/don't like to watch sports anime and who like/don't like to watch real sports. (Do I see Mike Toole or Bamboo making an appearance?) As for specific titles...

Touch! is my absolute favorite, but is pretty long, and I think Justin made you watch it for the Best of the 80s show.
Cross Game is good and on Hulu
Fighting Spirit is pretty good too, but very long if you include all the sequels
Initial D has that problem as well
Ashita no Joe had the industry impact (Who has never seen a shadow heavy charcoal drawing of the main character slumped on a stool?), but I honestly couldn't watch it.
Princess Nine just got a rescue by RightStuf
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
OP updated with information about next week's show (we had a schedule change) and the next series discussion.
lazydude500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Question for GKids interview

Any chance of English dubs and North America DVD/Blu-ray releases for Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday?
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
As a question/suggestion for the anime discussion episodes, will we see ones about anime movies? I would imagine Evangelion 3.0 would fill an entire podcast whenever Funimation decides to release that.
Kirben

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
Question for GKids:
What is the status of Zarafa? when can we expect to see a Blu-Ray/DVD release?

Zarafa is a French animated movie, that was licensed by GKids back in June 2012.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd certainly also like to see Now and Then, Here and There. Like SA said, in addition to the emotional impact it's regarded for, I think it also has quite a few other merits in terms of presentation and thematic elements that make it worth talking about at length.

I second this. I would also like hear one on Wolf's Rain and Big O.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
Questions for GKids:

- How do home video distributors get selected? Example: From Up on Poppy Hill DVD/BD was handled by Cinedigm while The Tale of Princess Kaguya will use Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. And will Universal Pictures Home Ent. be more involved with home video distribution in the future?

- You handled theatrical distributions for Giovanni's Island. Since the movie is already dubbed in English (from the UK), will you be releasing the movie on DVD & Blu-ray in North America?

- Will you ever be interested in distributing TV series? What about Sanzoku no Musume Ronja (Ronia the Robber's Daughter)?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Someone from Siren Visual would be good. One thing: Eric Cherry who was responsible for many of SV's interesting licencing choices, including Dennou Coil, has left and started up Hanabee.

I'd love to hear a Princess Tutu episode. Come to think of it, one dealing with that, Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Revolutionary Girl Utena could be interesting as all three play with the Magical Girl format.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
Schedule change posted - we had to reschedule our interview this week for next week, so we're taking this week off instead. No need to resubmit questions, but new ones will be accepted until next Monday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4