• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
addiemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
My favorite thing about this show is that all of their magical boy names are super random. Like you have colors like Scarlet and Cerulean, and then you have "whatever we thought sounded good" like Sulfur, Vesta (a Roman goddess), and Epinard (apparently French for...spinach?).
amcnulty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
addiemon wrote:
My favorite thing about this show is that all of their magical boy names are super random. Like you have colors like Scarlet and Cerulean, and then you have "whatever we thought sounded good" like Sulfur, Vesta (a Roman goddess), and Epinard (apparently French for...spinach?).

Ha, yes! Smile This show constantly makes me laugh. Like the "wanna see mine?" joke by the urinals in episode 3... I didn't think I'd ever find such a joke amusing.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
If Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magika and Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru are realistic critiques on the Mahō Shōjo genre, then this show is a light-hearted counter-point.
I find all those contrived explanations to be both amusing and logical - as far as that term can apply. Laughing
Like, why doesn't anyone recognize the main heroes? Because of "live censoring" (with a disclaimer for individual's right for privacy, no less!)
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Like, why doesn't anyone recognize the main heroes? Because of "live censoring" (with a disclaimer for individual's right for privacy, no less!)

You'd love the first Pretty Sammy TV series. At one point, all of Sasami's classmates acknowledge that it would be impossible to mistake Pretty Sammy for anyone but her. "I mean, all you did was change your clothes."
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Three episodes in, and Ryuu and Io's one note joke personalities are starting to bug me, especially Io's. Money grubbing jokes can only go so far. Plus his green hair color and cut is really ugly. He needs a new stylist, STAT!
Atsushi and En, on the other hand, have a great dynamic and deadpan banter. Yumoto, that little blonde kid, is my favorite. I cracked up in ep 3 when Wombat asked him if he got bored: "yeah, I don't like thinking!"

I'm hoping this show builds some more humor beyond Io making money jokes, Ryuu making girlcrazy jokes, and somebody straight-manning a completely ridiculous or outrageous circumstance.
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
After three episodes, none of them have been as entertaining or on-point-parody as the second half of the first episode, which is what I was hoping for. Sad Still a fun little way to kill twenty minutes every week.
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Ha, I love this show. I do suspect that it's beginning to lose steam and that saddens me a little but it still has a couple of gems that got me rofling (anything involving the dead teacher and the joke about how they're able to keep their secret identities are notable examples).

I am looking forward to how the show's going to progress. Will it be like Free! and focus more on character drama? Or will it be more like Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun and stay as a gag parody with little hints of seriousness? Either way, I hope it'll be entertaining Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping to like this, but so far the most interesting parts have been the bath conversations (those are interesting, I'm not damning with faint praise on that). Utena aside, magical girl is not really my genre anyway, but I thought the people behind this could overcome that. I'll stick around for the next episode, since I do enjoy seeing the kid versions of characters, but after that I'll probably bail.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Utena aside, magical girl is not really my genre anyway, ...

Nor mine, though I've watched my share of magical girl shows.

Unlike you, however, I feel that my ambivalence to the genre makes this show funny. I guess it is a good example of how humor is totally subjective.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
A?! Dang, they must have some pretty funny jokes to get this rating.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm generally only drawn to magical girl shows that feature a lot of humor (like the original Sailor Moon) or the ones that are flat-out parodies, so this series is a good fit for me thus far.
Crez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I feel that it also butchers Pretty cure a lot. Only me??

This is brilliant in every sense of the word! I haven't laughed this much at an anime show since Wooser!
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Yay for positive review c:

I'm liking it more and more now, especially episode 3 which was generally funny throughout.
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote
I'm usually an oddball for liking anime that get out of line like Kill la Kill or Yu Yu Hakusho, or Cromartie High.

But I honestly can't watch this. I tried, I watched it by myself, then I watched it with friends. I just couldn't laugh, the concept is there, the animation is there, the plot is there. But I still haven't been able to peg WHY I don't like this anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote
Zero Gravity wrote:
I'm usually an oddball for liking anime that get out of line like Kill la Kill or Yu Yu Hakusho, or Cromartie High.

But I honestly can't watch this. I tried, I watched it by myself, then I watched it with friends. I just couldn't laugh, the concept is there, the animation is there, the plot is there. But I still haven't been able to peg WHY I don't like this anime.

Because there`s no bouncing boobs or panty shots?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5