• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
To be fair, there are no bouncing boobs or panty shots in Cromartie High School. It's just sardonic comedy all the way through.

It occurs to me that they comedy in LOVE! might not connect with people because it's *too similar* to actual magical girl shows and tokusatsu. I don't watch magical girl shows like Precure, so the monster fights, transformation scenes, etc seem way over-the-top to me.

Of course, if the show uses the same formula every ep, it's gonna get old very fast.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
I am finding this show very formulaic so far and not very funny and none of the characters appeal to me.

But comedy is so subjective that I can't really say why except it's a matter of taste. Obviously this show is working for a lot of people.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
I think the show may be trying to emulate/lampoon the formulaic nature of other magical girl shows. Not that it's an excuse or anything.
Shinraisei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I think episode 4 might kick off a more serious tone to the series. There's a hint in the ED which appears to be confirmed in the previews that the head of the student council and Atsushi were once close friends as children. And upon re-watching episode 1, I noticed Atsushi uses a more casual tone with the head of the student council when they walk by--the guy even looks incredibly miffed at him but not in a "How dare you not use a more formal way of speaking" way. I hope it does get expanded upon.

I mean, this series is directed by one of the old Gintama directors (You could recast the whole urinals scene with the Gintama cast quite easily) and while that series has its fair share of comedy, when it flicks the "Serious Arc" switch, it gets very serious. It makes for great entertainment too.

I'm glad they had the characters comment on the "Wait? Why should we refer to each other with codenames?!" in episode 2 with Yumoto and Atsushi both equally going red with embarrasment at using En's codename. I used to find it odd in Sailor Moon, too.

What I'd like to see though?
- Less of Yumoto saving the day; I think that the combining of staffs could hint other combinations are possible, ala Engine Sentai Go-Onger
- Power upgrades at some point (Could they generate their abilities on their own, like in Sailor Moon?)
- Getting to know the guys more
-...Plot? Maybe?

Either way, I'm really looking forward to how this show progresses. Very Happy
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
Zero Gravity wrote:
I'm usually an oddball for liking anime that get out of line like Kill la Kill or Yu Yu Hakusho, or Cromartie High.

But I honestly can't watch this. I tried, I watched it by myself, then I watched it with friends. I just couldn't laugh, the concept is there, the animation is there, the plot is there. But I still haven't been able to peg WHY I don't like this anime.

Because there`s no bouncing boobs or panty shots?

SHOTS FIRED LOL

I thought KlK, YYH and Cromartie were more mainstream compared to Magical Boys >_>
A better example is Meganebu! and Samumenco which are very underrated.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
Because there`s no bouncing boobs or panty shots?

No, smart-ass, it's because this show is like Gintama and HIgh School Boys. The humor is entirely hit-or-miss, with no in between.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks Ryuu looks like a gender-flipped Washu?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Amy, this is getting old. Also, the boys weren't babies long enough! I want to see more of the boys personalities. I want the history between Atsushi and Kinshiro (is Kinshiro's name literally translated as "gold white"? I know "kin" means gold, and "shiro" means white, but "gold white" is a strange name. Or "white gold"--still weird). I want to know if the wombat and evil adorable porcupine know each other. So many things for the show to explore!

Hey, what do you think will happen when Yugato meets the porcupine? A cute creature he can't cuddle? Me thinks he'll end up with lots of needle pricks! Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
^Maybe that will be his kryptonite!
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
(is Kinshiro's name literally translated as "gold white"? I know "kin" means gold, and "shiro" means white, but "gold white" is a strange name. Or "white gold"--still weird).

Shiro can also mean castle... but the last kanji used for his name has a longer "ou" vowel sound so it wouldn't sound exactly the same as either word. (also, according to google, the kanji used for "kin" here, 錦, translates as "brocade.") I think the -shirou ending is pretty common for guys' names.
DillMan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was really when it started getting funny to me, and episode 4 was great as well.

The high schooler that looks like a 50 year old was a pretty entertaining idea. I was cracking up when they had the brief image of the really old bald guys trying to give him their seats on the bus haha. Serious comedy is what usually gets me in anime.

They need more shows focusing on cutesy guys, the girls ALWAYS get the attention it seems like, it is good to see it going the other way here.
iatheia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
This series is getting to the point where it is rather revolting in pretty much every single aspect. However, it does have one thing to recommend itself. It is treating the male characters in exactly the same way that most series would treat female characters when it comes to fanservice. It is achieving what no other series has even tried, not even the likes of Free. And I find the idea of it to be glorious.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
It is treating the male characters in exactly the same way that most series would treat female characters when it comes to fanservice. It is achieving what no other series has even tried, not even the likes of Free.

How? The guys aren't really sexualized that much, I can't really remember any blatant ass or crotch shots (and the animation never went really shiny or bloom filtered to accentuate it), and the magical girl outfits are really conservative (sort of like most regular Magical Girl shows).

So really, how are they doing this?

Free is a really good example of a portrayal of male-fanservice, and how fan service in general isn't an inherent negative in a show.
iatheia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Eldritcho wrote:

How? The guys aren't really sexualized that much, I can't really remember any blatant ass or crotch shots (and the animation never went really shiny or bloom filtered to accentuate it), and the magical girl outfits are really conservative (sort of like most regular Magical Girl shows).

Free is a really good example of a portrayal of male-fanservice, and how fan service in general isn't an inherent negative in a show.

Oh, no, they definitely there. The bath scenes are essentially just there to oogle at their privates. (but there is plenty even without it. The last episode's "do you want to see it" restroom moment. Or all the extra nudity that was in this week's episode). If you aren't calling it "that much", I dare you to find something outside of hentai that goes even this far when it comes to males.

I don't have anything bad to say against Free, by the way, I utterly enjoyed it, and all of its fanservice. I'm just saying that it wasn't nearly as blatant or as over the top (with exception of just a couple of scenes, may be, but that's just Rei).
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
Eldritcho wrote:

Oh, no, they definitely there. The bath scenes are essentially just there to oogle at their privates. (but there is plenty even without it. The last episode's "do you want to see it" restroom moment. Or all the extra nudity that was in this week's episode). If you aren't calling it "that much", I dare you to find something outside of hentai that goes even this far when it comes to males.

I don't have anything bad to say against Free, by the way, I utterly enjoyed it, and all of its fanservice. I'm just saying that it wasn't nearly as blatant or as over the top (with exception of just a couple of scenes, may be, but that's just Rei).

Not really, that's more part of the comedy of this show. Im pretty sure we, as the audience, were meant to find it awkward/funny, considering the animation style this show uses is very flat and cartoonish (ya know, something benefitting a comedy), as opposed to, say, Queens Blade, where the designs are very voluptuous and "shiny" (to better emphasize the girls curves).

Not once while watching this show have I thought that the animators were trying to make the boys sexy. Not that they are bad looking character designs (though maybe a bit on the generic side), but I would never expect to see a swimsuit/sexy alternate figma of
anyone in this show (as it currently stands at episode 4, at least).

Free was full of butt and crotch shots. Unless there was no swimming that episode, every episode would have a few. Though really, that show had more of a thing for chests and abs, so we tended to see a lot more of those (you could in that sense compare it's female equivalent, that being shows which focused on boobs).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5