• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Train Bishonen Monsters in Otomate's KLAP!! ~Kind Love And Punishment~ Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Not that it's important, but Angelique was by Koei and not Otomate.
dollssoulkirie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
senbonzakura wrote:
Not that it's important, but Angelique was by Koei and not Otomate.

There is one Angelique game by Otomate though. That's Angelique Maren no Rokukishi, the game with the villains from the Angelique Tenkuu no Requiem RPG.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
The art and cast look really nice!
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...the game has players making choices as an older woman, and the site's gallery of images leads us to believe the whip she wields isn't just for show.

Okay. I read this statement twice and was still confused. Then I saw the pictures...

Apparently I am very sheltered, because I have not ever conceived of this ever being a 'thing'. And I do not in any way want to be critical of people who enjoy it, and knowing what little I do about the rest of the titles this company produces, I have a question:

Why do all of the guys sound really kind of mean? Do girls (I guess some guys too) find this attractive, and is this game a twist on the authority/power aspect of that relationship?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Do girls (I guess some guys too) find this attractive, and is this game a twist on the authority/power aspect of that relationship?

According to Voltage, a company that releases otome games in English/Japanese/Chinese on tablet platforms, the highest selling character for several months is a sadomasochist/pseudo-rapist.

I'd say this is very much a thing.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:
Do girls (I guess some guys too) find this attractive, and is this game a twist on the authority/power aspect of that relationship?

According to Voltage, a company that releases otome games in English/Japanese/Chinese on tablet platforms, the highest selling character for several months is a sadomasochist/pseudo-rapist.

I'd say this is very much a thing.

Huh. Well, that's interesting. I don't think liking games like this represent some kind of flaw in a person's personality or sexual identity: all it does is call to question some very common concepts of love and attraction, pleasure and pain. From an conventional standpoint, it seems very weird, but not inadmissible as a part of the larger chunk of Japanese fandom. I want to be careful about how I say this, but really, we are better united if we want to grow our niche hobby in the larger market, and there may be more ways to interact without socially condemning our various interests.

I also think the subject of otome games and similar content will be increasingly more available to a larger audience in the future, and such levels of exposure will also serve us better united rather than divided over different interpretations of what we love. I hope I am not wrong about that.

Thank-you for answering my question(s). Across the internet stand a magical bridge where pigeons can also be attractive men, i guess. Or sadistic vampires, famous historical figures, mythological creatures, or whatever else you can imagine.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm sold. Will this come to the U.S.? Very Happy
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Huh. Well, that's interesting. I don't think liking games like this represent some kind of flaw in a person's personality or sexual identity...

I don't think it can be considered a flaw because, what really is normal? Fantasizing about being dominated is no different than fantasizing about tentacles, rape scenarios or anything else. I do, however, find the popularity contests based on sales that Voltage releases to be an interesting statement regarding the sexual preferences of their largely all female fanbase. As the games have been translated into several languages, it's not just a testament to the preferences of one culture, but that of many. I would be interested in seeing how the breakdown occurs, such as seeing if the character occupying top position has more English sales than Japanese sales, but sadly, those figures are not released.

I'd like to think that the idea of eroge aimed towards women has gained much more traction than it did even a decade ago. On the Japan side, you have entire stores dedicated to in Akihabara now, not to mention the event, Tokyo Girls Anime Fair, that has been running for the past couple years. That event heavily promotes otome games such as Uta no Prince-sama and Aria properties such as Aya Shouoto's Junketsu + Kareshi. In the US, we're finally seeing female-geared eroge and visual novels being released, not to mention conventions such as Yaoi-Con that cater to that demographic.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

The real question is, have any otome games been licensed in North America? Sad
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one at least a little distracted by the title being KLAP!! which, especially in a sexual context, just makes me think "Hey ladies, who wants to play Gonorrhea!! The Video Game?" I mean I know that's "the clap" and that it's unlikely that the Japanese makers of the game would know this euphamism but still.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
meepsheeps wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

The real question is, have any otome games been licensed in North America? Sad

I think some desktop / portable console games have been licensed, but I'm not recalling any details offhand. On the mobile end, however, there's scads of translated otome games for Android and iOs. Just search for "otome game" or "romance game".
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
It seems that these high-school boys have found a more unique and challenging way to spend their break time. I wonder what sort of lessons will they learn as yōkai?
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
I think some desktop / portable console games have been licensed, but I'm not recalling any details offhand. On the mobile end, however, there's scads of translated otome games for Android and iOs. Just search for "otome game" or "romance game".

I only know of the Voltage ones and a few others which were originally in English. It's too bad the bigger otome games in Japan aren't actually licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1