• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - I've Got A Blank Space Baby

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
^ RHorsman

Your post makes no sense to me but, considering the topic, I guess that the apparent randomness is fitting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
@Touma
I tend to get lost when people use too many initials, but I think I follow this one.

BSP = Bodacious Space Pirates. Earlier in the thread someone stated that bodacious is an outdated word. It certainly isn't common these days. I assume Space Pirates on Fleek is what he feels would be a literal translation of the Japanese title. Not sure where he got the Fleek from though.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Alan45.

That does make sense.
Relatively speaking.Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I still wonder who came up with "Haganai" as a title. I mean yeah Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai is a mouthful, but still. And what does the DxD in "High School DxD" stand for anyway? Breast sizes?...wait, that makes sense.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
One of my favorite nonsense anime titles is BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad since it's actually both a reference to an event in the series and a way to get around the issues of releasing something about a band called Beck in the Western world.

Otherwise... *checks over anime list* ... you end up with things like Pumpkin Scissors, Devilman Lady, and Serial Experiments Lain

Admittedly when I first heard of Beck, I thought it was an anime about the musicians life or something. This thoroughly confused me after seeing "Mongolian Chop Squad" because then it made me think the main character was apart of some biker gang.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I still wonder who came up with "Haganai" as a title. I mean yeah Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai is a mouthful, but still. And what does the DxD in "High School DxD" stand for anyway? Breast sizes?...wait, that makes sense.

You youngin's never heard of D&D?

Sheesh...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Admittedly when I first heard of Beck, I thought it was an anime about the musicians life or something. This thoroughly confused me after seeing "Mongolian Chop Squad" because then it made me think the main character was apart of some biker gang.

"Mongolian Chop Squad" made me think of Mongolian-style grilling. I love Mongolian barbecue.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I still wonder who came up with "Haganai" as a title. I mean yeah Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai is a mouthful, but still.
It stems from how the "wa" particle is written with the "ha" hiragana; it could also be romanized as "Boku ha tomodachi ga sukunai.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
I remember reading about a comic called "Mangirl" which would rather spectacularly give readers the wrong idea; it's actually about a girl who makes manga.

And on that topic, much as I love it, "Bakuman" makes no sense as an English title either -- though I don't think it was ever intended to be English in the first place. I *think* the word has been stitched together from 博打(bakuchi - gambling) and 漫画(manga), but there are other ideas that also resonate (explosive-man, explosive-manga, etc); since the title has always used Romaji instead of kanji, all possibilities are probably intended. But also since it uses Romaji, it looks like it's supposed to be English, though I don't think it is.

One of the manga-within-a-manga in "Bakuman" is a fantasy adventure that never gets off the ground called "Stopper of Magma." I don't think any irony was intended with the bad English title. And a children's mystery series ends up being called "PCP" (Perfect Crime Party).

And then from the same real-life authors, there's "Death Note"; a highly-evocative title as-is, but one that gives the wrong idea unless you already know that the word "Notebook" has been adopted and shortened to "Note" in Japanese.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I remember reading about a comic called "Mangirl" which would rather spectacularly give readers the wrong idea; it's actually about a girl who makes manga.
That's simply the romanization of まんがーる!; it just so happens that English is.... a little less clear than hiragana on the syllable breaks.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I still wonder who came up with "Haganai" as a title. I mean yeah Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai is a mouthful, but still.
It stems from how the "wa" particle is written with the "ha" hiragana; it could also be romanized as "Boku ha tomodachi ga sukunai.

The wacky part there is they formed the 4-mora name from 2 particles and a verb conjugation, rather than from the actual nouns and verbs in the title, so the English translation of "Haganai" would be something like "The The Not".
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
And what does the DxD in "High School DxD" stand for anyway? Breast sizes?...wait, that makes sense.

You youngin's never heard of D&D?

Sheesh...
You mean Dungeons and Dragons? It never occurred to me that was what it stood for. I didn't know they even have that game in Japan.

Edit- According to a Google search, DxD is explained in the books to refer to devils and dragons or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6