• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Loses an Hour of Programming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for Toonami to broadcast Young Justice... Anyway to lose the 5-6 am hour isn't that bad, only if they're somehow able to get the 10pm timeslot instead. While I try to support Toonami the best way I can, I just can't find myself staying up until 5 or 6 am. it makes more sense for them to start early, rather than end so late. As for the person who suggested Fairy Tail, I kinda expected it to show up after Bleach ended but then again I really don't want it too since Fairy Tail is garbage
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Still waiting for Toonami to broadcast Young Justice...

Won't happen, Cartoon Network already wrote off the rights to Young Justice. And even when CN did still have it, I recall Toonami said in a Q&A that they attempted to get it on the block, but DC shot the idea down due to being uncomfortable with their kids show airing on an adult block.

And before you say it, yes, Beware the Batman did air on Toonami, but that was likely because that was the only option CN gave DC for playing the 15 previously-unaired episodes.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:15 am Reply with quote
They should play some of those DC animated movies, the direct-to-video efforts. But the better ones, like the adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns, or Superman vs The Elite. Not Son of Batman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they can't because HBO has a contract for some of them?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:46 am Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:

I've been begging Toonami to show The Devil is a part-timer!! to break up some of the seriousness of some of these shows with a comedy show.

But Toonami is an action block. The other side of Adult Swim is the one about comedies.

Veniamin wrote:

Why don't they just air older shows? They could get ratings that way.

Depends on how old or more significantly, how old looking.
They aired Samurai 7, and that's a decade old.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Toonami had never been 6 hours long so this isn't too surprising or all that bad. plus losing the hour at the end can't be much of a loss, as much as I like IGPX and Samurai Jack I am not staying up til 5am to watch it. Toonami will be fine. Adult Swim will continue to have anime and so they have no reason not to keep the Toonami packaging around it. Last I heard, no one working on Toonami was getting paid.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
A big problem with this and licensing in general is when there's restrictions on the shows they can't get.

I would imagine this could be an issue people take with copyright. If somehow there were anime made within in the last 5 years received global public domain status, then I don't think they would have licensing/rights issues beyond who broadcasts it (Toonami airing said public domain anime vs. Nick airing it).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
I suppose its better they lose an hour at the end of the block rather than the beginning of it making it start at 12:30. I don't know how your supposed to judge ratings though in a time when everyone's asleep, other than maybe people who wake up REAL early to go to work.

Pretty much this. I don't really see how you're supposed to judge ratings at the end of the block at 5AM, only the few hardcore watchers of re-runs are up that late hence the old re-runs so throwing some non-Toonami programming on there I really don't see effecting the ratings all that much in that hour either on a freaking Sunday morning before most TV watchers are even up on a Sunday. Edit: And for King of the Hill no less, as if it's not on enough...seems silly.

And yeah atleast it's at the end of the block if it has to go back to 5 hours. That way premieres still on pretty early.

TheGameNinja wrote:
Last I heard, no one working on Toonami was getting paid.

I'm have to imagine that must have changed by now with Toonami having been back for a while now. I believe that was just at the beginning where people like Blum were helping restart Toonami by offering to do some early stuff for free given the small starting budget and their desire to help get the block back on air.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
I'd imagine Kill la Kill will help ratings. Getting more and more new shows with dub premieres will help too, though its tough when they all start at 2.

Do people who DVR get counted in the ratings? Or the people who watch it on demand

Kill la Kill is definitely a good fit for the channel. Toonami viewers have always been into high-speed, high-intensity action, as seen when slower, more contemplative shows like Paranoia Agent get much lower ratings. It's also a very "anime" show, which I'm sure is what hurt One Piece when compared to the likes of Sword Art Online or Naruto.

Yes, Nielsen boxes account for DVR'ed programming and include them as part of the ratings count. Not counted is online streaming from official sources, however.

noblesse oblige wrote:
Lazydude, you do know that acquiring new shows costs $$$, right? Guess how much it costs to rerun shows that they already have the broadcast rights for? Nada. I don't see any problem with airing reruns: Many shows can be enjoyed multiple times and not everyone keeps up to date with premiers. While I do think all the shows you listed would be great fits for toonami (except for maybe witchblade), it's fiscally sound strategy to have at least 75% of your block populated by reruns, with 1 or 2 new shows a season.

While it sucks that they are losing Samurai Jack, they have said it will likely come back at some point, and what I am most worried about is the now tenuous scheduling of Kill la Kill. I was really excited for the boost I think Toonami would get from airing KLK in the 11:30 slot, now it looks like that might not happen....

In addition, some contracts require some certain amount of cycles of reruns. I know that the only shows Adult Swim would truly have carte blanche over with reruns is stuff they make or partially own themselves, which on the current lineup are IGPX and Space Dandy; otherwise, Adult Swim needs to at least ask permission.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
It is not really a problem is it? Even the faithfuls who watch the program every night it is on, must be tired of staying up until 5:30, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them don't.

The block itself still seems to be having the same problem since day 1, lack of new stuff. They occasionally put something that hasn't been on before, Deadman Wonderland, Attack on Titan, Space Dandy and I think InuYasha: The Final Act was first on this new Toonami.

For instance out the 200 or so shows that have made and dubbed in the last 10 years, why do we see so little. I'm sure it is not that hard to get a license for a show. Even if it was every few weeks they replaced one of them with a new show they had licensed, it would give people an incentive other than loyalty to keep watching.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
There's only so many shows they can cycle when they favor the long running Shounen Jump titles, but that doesn't explain why they chose all the same movies for a second year a row in December. That's lame.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
As been mentioned already, an hour off the end of the block isn't really a big deal, since the viewership numbers around 2-3am are going to be much lower than the first two hours anyway. And Kill la Kill should turn out to to be a big boost for them just like AoT. In any case, I'll be tuning in especially to hear the dub and to see what they censor.

invalidname wrote:
Toonami is not an anime block, it is an action animation block. Their problem is that so little action animation is being made in the West anymore, so they tend towards anime.

Interesting comment by DeMarco. Like everyone else, I associate Toonami with anime first and foremost. I remember reading something in animation forum recently about how the West has basically given up on action animation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Even for the interesting western animation being made these days, they're only done in 11 minute installments.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even for the interesting western animation being made these days, they're only done in 11 minute installments.

Unfortunately that's yet another cost cutting measure companies have to do, just as they did with the switch to Flash and CG animation. It's getting harder and harder to sell animation in America, and action animation is already literally dead. The fact the new Spongebob movie is live-action/CG is just the nail in the coffin if Spongebob of all things can't get a proper traditionally animated movie anymore.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I think that's more due to the lack of demand for traditional 2-D animation among children. The Simpsons Movie could get away with being in 2-D, but even Disney couldn't get the kids interested with The Princess and the Frog, with them preferring to see Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.

Some of these shows in 11-minute installments work best in that format though. I can't imagine something like Over the Garden Wall working in half-hour chunks, for one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5