• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rei Tōma's New Manga Series is 'Bride of the Water God'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
i knew the title sounded familiar!
i liked the manhwa a lot, i just hope the manga ver aint a total rip off of it
Seryne299

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
I loved the art in the manwha, it was beautiful. From what I can see this new manga's art doesn't look as good, not bad but looks more like it's a shoujo manga.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, seriously? I read three volumes of Bride of the Water God and really disliked it. It looked pretty, but I thought the story and pacing were just a mess. but who knows, if she can fix that, it might finally be worth reading. I just rather wish she had picked stronger source material.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Dammit, seriously? I read three volumes of Bride of the Water God and really disliked it. It looked pretty, but I thought the story and pacing were just a mess. but who knows, if she can fix that, it might finally be worth reading. I just rather wish she had picked stronger source material.

I got the impression this just happens to be a story based on the same idea as the Korean series, and not a direct adaptation of it. (the titles are in their own native language but each is pretty much basically stating the premise of their story, so it's not surprising if they happen to translate to the same thing. the image accompanying this article doesn't seem to refer to or credit the Korean artist.) Perhaps they are both based on a shared folk tale or something.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I thought "Dawn of the Arcana" was alright, art and story wise. But it's weird to have a manga share a title and a premise with a manhwa.

I'm personally not aware of a water god related story that's common in both East Asian folklore, so rather than sharing a premise, I feel like Rei Toma's manga might actually be based on the manhwa story.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
I knew of the manhwa for a while but I wasn't that interested, but since I've liked what I've read of Arcana--as well as its art style--I think I'll have to give it a go.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
I thought "Dawn of the Arcana" was alright, art and story wise. But it's weird to have a manga share a title and a premise with a manhwa.

They're both based on the same legend, that's why.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
This is not the first time that has happened. Both Ceres - Celestial Legend (manga) and Faeries Landing (manhwa) are based on the same legend. Very different in execution though. I wish we could have gotten all of Faeries Landing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
And recently, the Legend of Hercules.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1