• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ling Tosite SIGURE Remove 'Knife' From Psycho-Pass Film Theme Lyrics in TV Performance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
There's nothing wrong with being sensitive to current issues, they are just being respectful to the victims and the families involved. I would not equate this to the level of handing over ransom money or "bowing down to terrorists". I think as much overreaction goes into being "anti-PC" and "freedom-hawking" as it does being "politically-correct" or "protecting the peace by means of societal/freedom sacrifices". It is just for the moment, calm down.

My point is that the victims of the families are probably off doing other things than watching Psycho-Pass or Assassination Classroom. If you've ever had something traumatic happen to you, did you turn your attention to something that reminded you of that event?

I don't think it's "bowing to terrorists" I agree with you on that. I do think it is necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:
What a great way to dodge my question...

He did not dodge your question.
He told you to report it if you think that it is offensive.
That may not be an explicit answer to the question but it does imply that the term was not removed because nobody complained about it.
There are some words that are commonly considered to be offensive and probably do not need to be reported if a moderator notices them, but I do not think that "yank" is one of them.

Did you report it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ling Tosite complied with the request out of respect. The slippery slope claims from some of the posters in here are hilarious. Apparently, ISIS will be the downfall of anime.

Zatheyll wrote:
OT: This is ridiculous and pathetic, and essentially giving into the terrorists. Censoring like this is not okay and should not be condoned.

I don't think this is about censorship, this is about using offensive language. See "Teh Rules" #7
AnimeTenchou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
AnimeTenchou wrote:
I do use it in real life, here in the England, it's not as offensive as you might think. It's just slang, a contraction of a longer word or phrase, used in casual conversation.

From http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/n.htm

Nip -- Noun. A person from Japan. Taken from Nipponese = Japanese. Offens.

I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THAT TERM USED AGAIN.

Let me clear things up. Here in the UK, "Yanks" and "Nips" are not offensive terms, they are contractions or slang, just like the term "Brits" or "Scots". I did not replace the word "Nips" in my original comment, ANN did it acting upon a complaint (or so I guess so). If my casual use of slang is offending anyone, which it really shouldn't, I will remove the post. I am Asian and am called "chink" quite a lot as a slang, almost vocative nick name. Maybe I am just really thick skinned but slang words such as these do not offend me, or anyone I know here in the UK. Also, some random website (peevish.co.uk) does not have the evidence or authority to dictate what is and isn't socially acceptable here in the UK.

Last edited by AnimeTenchou on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I guess not... Confused
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
I guess not... Confused

What is this in reference to?
I do not see any context for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Zatheyll wrote:
OT: This is ridiculous and pathetic, and essentially giving into the terrorists. Censoring like this is not okay and should not be condoned.

I don't think this is about censorship, this is about using offensive language. See "Teh Rules" #7

Saying knife is considered offensive language? I'd rather die than live in a messed up world like that.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
AnimeTenchou wrote:

Let me clear things up. Here in the UK, "Yanks" and "Nips" are not offensive terms, they are contractions or slang, just like the term "Brits" or "Scots".

You're playing world ball now, son. Realize that. Adjust your vocab.

Zatheyll wrote:

Saying knife is considered offensive language? I'd rather die than live in a messed up world like that.

To me, it looks like CoreSignal is confusing two different conversations: the one we are having about editing in anime and the language used in this conversation, in this forum.

{Edit - Before you tell others to realize anything you should review our rules on Excessive Quoting. ~ Psycho 101
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
To me, it looks like CoreSignal is confusing two different conversations: the one we are having about editing in anime and the language used in this conversation, in this forum.

@Zatheyll, my bad. Yes, my offensive language comment was referring to AnimeTenchou's situation. However, my initial comment still stands.

YotaruVegeta wrote:
You're playing world ball now, son. Realize that. Adjust your vocab.

Word. AnimeTenchou, we appreciate the explanation, but not everyone may be comfortable with your slang.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Although it can be used for derogatory purposes, Yank or Yankee is generally not considered an offensive term in of itself; in fact, many in the U.S. (especially the northeastern U.S.) would take pride in it. We have had a baseball team called the Yankees for more than a century, after all, and to my knowledge there's never been serious complaints about anyone being offended by the name.

"Nip", OTOH, is pretty widely-regarded as offensive slang. Just because it isn't in a particular area of Britain doesn't mean that's not true in many other parts of the world. And I've never heard of "chink" being considered acceptable in any context. (Or if it is acceptable amongst some Asians then it's probably equivalent to the use of a certain N-word in the States, where you wouldn't dare use the word if you weren't of that racial group and even some of that racial group wouldn't tolerate its use amongst them, either.)
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I wont continue the discussion of ethnic slang, because people will feel uncomfortable about it, but I read Asian derogatory slang used amongst some segments of Americans that is very insensitive, and the slang is used like it's not a big deal. In fact, it's used sort of as an endearing term.

Whether it's the US or UK, though, I would encourage people to try to use standard language as much as possible. I also hear certain slang pertaining to females is more acceptable in the UK, but you wouldn't bust that out overseas, now would ya?
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...and to my knowledge there's never been serious complaints about anyone being offended by the name.

That is, unfortunately, something you might find very differently in my neck of the woods. Or somewhere as close as Boston, for that matter. It dates back to over a hundred years of cultural and regional differences, which is one of the criteria for defining 'slang' as a term in accordance with 'dialect'. It is simply better to adopt a neutral policy in conversation, but the internet has become such a global conduit that this becomes harder to keep all of the different 'rules' for political and ethical behavior in mind.

Or we could all just remember to be more polite, and at the same time, completely unfazed by the crap we read on online forums with other virtually constructed entities.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:

That is, unfortunately, something you might find very differently in my neck of the woods. Or somewhere as close as Boston, for that matter. It dates back to over a hundred years of cultural and regional differences, which is one of the criteria for defining 'slang' as a term in accordance with 'dialect'. It is simply better to adopt a neutral policy in conversation, but the internet has become such a global conduit that this becomes harder to keep all of the different 'rules' for political and ethical behavior in mind.

I am sorry, but without a citation (e.g., a dictionary) I am extremely reluctant to take such a claim at face value. I can see Yank/Yankee having a negative connotation in the rural Deep South; but that's it.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:

I am sorry, but without a citation (e.g., a dictionary) I am extremely reluctant to take such a claim at face value. I can see Yank/Yankee having a negative connotation in the rural Deep South; but that's it.

Thank-you for defining, as well as citing, where I can find a definition to a term. I will reiterate: The point of my post is not for you to take offense, or validate your own cultural knowledge or beliefs. If you want sources for my assessments, there are two I can think of to recommend: The first is a book written by Joseph Campbell called The Hero With A Thousand Faces, and the second is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, written by Robert M. Pirsig. Both are easily available on Amazon.com. My statements are also not meant to be claims, but honest assessments, and rather friendly ones.

I do not need to attest my own cultural and political upbringing any further, which is why I began my original post with the phrase Unfortunately, because I both clearly understand the ongoing civil sentiments between and try to position myself from a point of neutrality. Compared to places like the Deeper South in this article, things here in Nashville have worked hard to transcend such boundaries, but the knowledge of them is still here. I also do not defend slang or any cultural epitaphs from a point of superiority over any other. That, like various forms of language are defined by region and cultural affinities, create these terms we are using here, equal parts of lifestyle and essential points for our own personal development and individuality.

At the same time, over the internet, we feel privileged to create our own social dynamics within communities like this, where we may connect with other like-minded people, experience new things, or perpetuate things we love. I state again, as the community grows and adds more members, it becomes difficult to define a universal code of conduct to follow. But one thing must always be true, both in person, and through a online avatar: courtesy, as well as good humor.

Although I can safely say I have failed on one or both before, do not feel like you need to educate me on either here. I well within both for these responses.

Somehow this discussion is changing from talking about Japanese Music, to Censorship, to Racial Implications, to Censorship Online. And nothing will come of it beyond that point, apart from further miscommunications and adverse sentiments.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:22 am Reply with quote
^
If I have caused any offense, then I apologize.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4