• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Perfect Blue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, just wow. That was probably the most effective psychological thriller I've ever seen. It starts off earnestly enough, but then builds up until you are suddenly engrossed without even realising it. spoiler[Towards the end it was getting hard to even tell what was real and what wasn't and it was kinda disconcerting. And it ended with a twist that while making perfect sense, I really didn't see coming.]

Going by the vague blurb I knew - something random to do with J-pop idols and so on, I wasn't expecting it to be so fantastic. (Although Satoshi Kon doesn't tend to disappoint.)

Incredibly well done, everything I see by Satoshi Kon totally blows me away. All his films should be compulsory viewing.

Seeing Paprika in the cinema tomorrow, so hope that lives up to expectations! Wink
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
Perfect Blue was the movie that firmly-established Satoshi Kon as a person to be reckoned with in the writer's and director's chairs, and none of his efforts since then have disappointed. (It should also be noted that Perfect Blue is by far his most graphic work to date.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I only wish the US dvd had the alternate ending, i've always wanted to see it.

Hopefully we will see a remastered release in the future because the current release is really lacking when compared to the R2J and R3 versions.
UKfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I was also a bit dubious about watching this movie but as it was on the shelf I stuck it in the DVD player. I didn't regret it.

It really is a top class psycological thriller type film and like you I couldn't figure out what was going on at the end and what was real or imaginery.

A really great adult themed anime..
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
i saw it a few years ago at my school of all places, i loved this movie, however it had me thinking and i didn't get it the first few times through though, all i thought about was spoiler[OUCH!! stabbed in the nuts than in the eye witha screw driver] now however after I've seen it on the Action channel it sits with me much better now and a very good Thinking anime
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:

Hopefully we will see a remastered release in the future because the current release is really lacking when compared to the R2J and R3 versions.

I've not seen the movie yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. Manga has had a recent knack for re-releasing popular titles as Anniversary or Special editions. Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell are first to come to mind (both were re-released 10 years after their initial production).

I'm hoping in 2007 they'll do the same for Perfect Blue and the Eva movies (which is the reason why I still don't have them yet).
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Perfect Blue was the movie that firmly-established Satoshi Kon as a person to be reckoned with in the writer's and director's chairs, and none of his efforts since then have disappointed. (It should also be noted that Perfect Blue is by far his most graphic work to date.)

It is his best work that I've ever seen (paprika haven't seen it but looking forward to it.) and quite frankly it's very graphic. I often time have to do a double thought before I let someone borrow my DVD or tell them to watch it. But it's quite an amazing movie....and I didn't know about this alternate ending I'm intrigue to say the least.

Tony K. wrote:
I'm hoping in 2007 they'll do the same for Perfect Blue and the Eva movies (which is the reason why I still don't have them yet).
I thought that Manga (entertainment) wanted to release a new edition of EVA but couldn't or maybe I am thinking about Evangelion (ADV) and having it called Platinum.....
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I loved Perfect Blue and want to give it another viewing, probably before Paprika shows up around theaters. In my opinion, Millennium Actress and Paranoia Agent were better, but that doesn't discount anything from it. Brilliant psychological thriller with a very nice twist thrown in towards the end with all numerous hints towards it early on. Actually, because of that twist, it reminded me even moreso of Hitchcock's Vertigo, my second favorite movie from him behind Rear Window.

Area88 wrote:

Whoa, there's an alternate ending? First time that I have heard of it.

Quote:

Or at least superior picture quality and better constructed subs, which is the exact same problem that the two Evangelion movies released by Manga Ent. have.

Deltakiral wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
I thought that Manga (entertainment) wanted to release a new edition of EVA but couldn't or maybe I am thinking about Evangelion (ADV) and having it called Platinum.....

Actually a while back Manga Ent. mentioned that they are negotiating to bring over the Renewal (the Japanase remastered release title) versions of Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death(True)^2 (there is no Rebirth in the finalized works) and Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion, planning to eventually put them out in 2007. It would make sense considering that they have done the 10th Anniversary releases for their older titles. By any luck since the only other anime that they will be putting out next year will be the second volume and complete set of Karas and wrapping Noein in the latter half of '07, Perfect Blue will get the same treatment as well.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the older version of Perfect Blue only had a mediocre video transfer. I'm glad that it was encoded in 5.1. This was was of the first 5.1 R1 anime releases. Manga has gotten much better at encoding discs since then. The Karas, SAC, Tactics, and Noein DVDs are really gorgeous. Does anyone know why the Karas complete costs more than the combined volumes? Will it include a book, or bonus DVD? With a $20 MSRP ($10.79 with rightstuf Manga sale) Karas is really well priced. It's cheap enough for me not to mind rebuying the complete set if it comes with extras.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Perfect Blue proved to be a really thrilling creation, one of the most interesting thrillers that I have seen. At the beginning I didn't understand the direction in which the story was going but as the intrigue developed, the game between fantasy and reality became really interesting that towards the end it became really difficult to differentiate them. The end was also very unexpected and this is what I enjoyed the best. Nonetheless I think that one has to pay close attention to the story so as not to miss the important details of the story.

Satoshi Kon didn't disappointed me at all. Many people told me that this was one of his most important creations and only after watching it I realised why it has been so. It is a smart story, with unexpected and fast twists in the story, and with a blowing finale. Definetly something to remember.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm lucky enough to own it, and no matter how many times I see it, I just can't stop getting the chills. Besides, the ending is just perfect-- a total plot twist. I can't help but love it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
My recent viewing of Perfect Blue and Paprika have lead to a current obsession with Satoshi Kon.

Perfect Blue still stands out as being a bit less manic and complete that his other works but there is just a certain je ne sais quoi that just totally grabs you in all of them.

This has been the first time I have been obsessed enough to start tracking down all the soundtracks I can find and really going for it.

I recently saw Paranoia Agent and Paprika at the cinema which further enforced my enthusiasm for Satoshi Kon's work.

I know that I was put off from Perfect Blue by the slightly odd synopsis for it. But I am so glad that I watched it.

So many series that I watch, I enjoy at the time but are fairly throwaway, but nothing by Satoshi Kon falls into that category - each of his films are worthy of note.

Anyway, being a bit fanboy here. But seriously, some great great work here.

Quote:
the ending is just perfect-- a total plot twist. I can't help but love it

And yes, perfect ending to a perfect film (no pun intended.)

I just hope that more people will go out and see more of Satoshi Kon's work.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:

I just hope that more people will go out and see more of Satoshi Kon's work.

Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers are near the top of my "to watch" list.

I do have a question for females, spoiler[what do you think of the way in which the protagonist is vilified, by both of "herselves," for wanting to do mature content, specifically, the rape scene? Is it patriarchy at play, that women should be prim and proper and engaging in that sort of thing makes her (how shall I put it) a less desirable woman?] I'm not saying if I believe this to be the case, I'm asking if any of you feel that there is at least a little of that going on.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

I do have a question for females, spoiler[what do you think of the way in which the protagonist is vilified, by both of "herselves," for wanting to do mature content, specifically, the rape scene? Is it patriarchy at play, that women should be prim and proper and engaging in that sort of thing makes her (how shall I put it) a less desirable woman?] I'm not saying if I believe this to be the case, I'm asking if any of you feel that there is at least a little of that going on.

To tell you the truth I thought that the whole problem started from the fact that spoiler[she wanted to be a singer but nonetheless she is made to believe that she has to be an actress. ] I think that all the conflict starts from this one simple idea: spoiler[people like to do want they really want to and dream of and when this doesn't happen, their lives completly change and especially the way they realate to themselves. I remember that our character really wanted to be a singer, that she wished for it but she is convinced by her manager that she could be a better actrice. Along the storyline, we see how she wanted to really be with her former collegues and that she just felt so insecure and unhappy about her newest job. So my guess is that the main conflict started from this antithesis between what she really wanted to do and what she was doing at that time.]

But the scene that you have mentioned may have triggered the real drama: spoiler[the rape scene was something totally humiliating for her. ]I don't know if there's something connected with the idea of properness to women (cause I really don't want to get involved in that discussion of what women can and can't do unlike men). But spoiler[a rape is a terrible thing even if it's just simulated and I think that this is the final drop for our character. It was something so totally different from who she was that all she could do was to run away from all that. And her gateway proved to be a double personality.]
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Aya-san. spoiler[Those type of roles (being 'raped' or even portraiting a prostitute and such) are quite humiliating for women, since we feel that our dignity (not to say our pride as women) is shattered just for the show's sakes.]

I say that just because I placed myself in Mima's shoes, and figured out what would it be spoiler[since my career is nothing near acting or anything -_-U...]

Nonetheless... I think that Perfect Blue's point is mostly the fact that spoiler[some people can't understand when the others wish to change]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2