• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - True Luv

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
I didn't have the same reaction to Benio as Paul did though. I found her oddball interactions awkward yet still very funny and loved watching her duplicity between home and school.

I wrote that review, actually, not Paul. I should've signed my name to the bottom.

For me, it was like... 70/30 for what I could and couldn't handle as far as Benio was concerned. I think if we mostly got Mashiro's reactions, I would've been less weirded out by it, because we'd have the voice of reason as the primary response. But Kobeni's complacency with everything just... I mean, I get it, that's the joke, but it just gave me the creepies.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
consider this rumours if you wish, what I remember was that: the series was originally planned to be just one coeur, it was just an add to sell models of the franchise's robot as well as the vn ports to the ps3 generation of hardware; something happened during production, so the budget got increased or something , so they increased it to 2 coeurs, they also decided to change directors (originally it was a very green one and they put someone more experienced in charge instead) and had to rewrite several parts of the show so they had time to actually make something decentinstead of super rushing (though animation quality wise, the rushing still shows).

So, if this is true, Total Eclipse is basically the reverse of Angel Beats!

Karma is a bitch, man.

===============================================

Also, fun as it is to ding Total Eclipse for its missteps, I'll always respect the show for a final arc that features spoiler[the Japanese and Soviet TSF pilots teaming up to defeat fundamentalist Christian doomsday cultists from America].

{Please don't double post. Thank you. ~nbahn}
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I have been collecting anime since the Eighties. My collection would have lots of Laserdisc, VHS tape, along with DVD's and BD's. Only problem is most of it is packed away or squirreled away, so kinda jealous of all that space he has to display his stuff.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
My collection is featured again on shelf life, thanks! If you guys like nerdy collection videos, my channel is perfect for you. lol Cool

I checked and my collecting adventure started in 2010. You can buy a lot of anime if you just pay attention to the best deals each month, buy anime at its cheapest and get free shipping. I don't make a lot of money, there's also rightstuf bargain bin updates. Amazon will mark anime down 60-70% off at times, link below for the thread I pay attention to each month. Anime is usually very cheap on ebay, you can find a lot of titles cheaper at auctions than on amazon. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/624371-official-anime-bargains-thread-2015-a.html

Last edited by ZorinBlitz on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:17 am; edited 4 times in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Barbobot wrote:
I didn't have the same reaction to Benio as Paul did though. I found her oddball interactions awkward yet still very funny and loved watching her duplicity between home and school.
[...]
For me, it was like... 70/30 for what I could and couldn't handle as far as Benio was concerned. I think if we mostly got Mashiro's reactions, I would've been less weirded out by it, because we'd have the voice of reason as the primary response. But Kobeni's complacency with everything just... I mean, I get it, that's the joke, but it just gave me the creepies.

Good heavens; I can only imagine what your reaction to Koi Kaze is.*

*My intent is not to be negative; I'm just trying to figure out where you're coming from -- the user ratings are surprisingly good (for both series).
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Barbobot wrote:
[...]

*My intent is not to be negative; I'm just trying to figure out where you're coming from -- the user ratings are surprisingly good (for both series).

I actually really love Koi Kaze, and think that comparing the two is completely superficial.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
^
I see.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
@Bamboo
Kobeni has had Benio around all her life. She has learned to cope with what appears to Mashiro as inappropriate behavior. I don't see any reason why it should bother her. Since it is presented to us as over the top, mostly for the purposes of humor it doesn't bother me either.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:

Benio's shtick doesn't always work as humor and definitely crosses the line into creepy territory on a few occasions, but I found it tolerable because she's rarely allowed to get away with it; she has a friend who constrains her when she's apt to go too far over the line, for instance. For all her antics she is also shown to genuinely care for Kobeni, too. As Bamboo said, though, mileage will vary there.

I loved the series (enough to make it my #5-ranked series for the year) because I thought it was a smart reversal of the normal "surprise fiancee" pattern and had more cleverness to it than it initially looked like it would have. The big secret lingering in the background also shakes things up quite nicely and it has a great pair of opener and closer.

And for Koi Kaze, it's hard to appreciate how flawlessly it walks a razor-thin line without ever stepping over it if you haven't actually seen it. I've never encountered a better-written anime title (and I feel comfortable saying that without any qualification) or one that treats its subject matter more carefully and sensitively.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seiru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
@invalidname
Thanks for the link to your review of Muv-Luv it was enjoyable to read and I agree with you with how it could've done more with how they handled the episodes you listed.

I feel that they added the fan-service scenes since the VN was an eroge and they tried to "keep true" on that part or they were maybe afraid that the fans only wanted fan-service and I am not against it a few fan scenes here and there could be fun/funny but when they started to drift away from the real plot that is when I started to lose hope in it.What saddens me was how they had the skills to make a very thrilling/serious series with how they made the battle strategies for example when I think it was spoiler[Yuya who was stuck and all the BETAs where coming towards him] that made me glued to the screen wondering what will happen or when the I think the spoiler[Russian team went to the BETAs and all of them died] which was pretty unexpected.I'm sorry if I recalled those scenes wrong I watched Muv-Luv when it came out and now my memory is a bit fuzzy.And they also showed how they can really get into the,to quote your review,the idea that humanity's worst enemy is not an outside invader,but humanity's own deviousness,greed,and duplicity.Those finals episode really put that aspect into work.

I hope they can maybe animate the other Alternative VNs with Takeru as the MC or they can even animate a second season since the wheels of inner conflict was turning in the final episode.They even have a game about the continuation that they can get ideas from but who knows.I hope that one day someone can license the VNs to release since it is an intruiging story IMO and it will be a very cool story to experience but maybe the heavy death scenes will be a struggle cause of licensing.

Overall,I agree with the review you wrote and I hope someday the Muv-Luv VNs can be licensed.I will still probably recommend Muv-Luv Alternative:Total Eclipse since when they got to the military aspects of the show and the battles it was pretty entertaining IMO but I'll also tell them to take the series with a grain of salt since the VNs were probably way more better dealing with the story and development.Again this is all my own opinions of the show.

EDIT:Also I didn't even knew that Rumbling Hearts was sort of related to Muv-Luv so thanks for including that in your review.I'll put it on my watch-list since it'll be nice to see what it's about.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I loved the series (enough to make it my #5-ranked series for the year) because I thought it was a smart reversal of the normal "surprise fiancee" pattern and had more cleverness to it than it initially looked like it would have. The big secret lingering in the background also shakes things up quite nicely and it has a great pair of opener and closer.

I cannot deny how bouncy that closer was or how bouncy that opener was. Unfortunately, those feelings didn't really transfer into the show itself. It's a rom-com more about "loyalty" {Yeah, what a great love interest though I guess they could spoiler[always play fetch] instead of that other thing. I couldn't resist that one. Cousin pairings get all the flak in these type of shows but these pairings? It doesn't even cause people to blink for some reason} than love.

What ultimate destroyed the series was that the big secret was never addressed more than superficially- which is better than the "not quite similar" [spoiler show]- who actually had the guts to put its masquerade both in the title and the show.

I'm not a fan of either one, not so much for a lack of logic {it's still there though} but a lack of consideration of implications. The weirdest thing is that the show uses Benio as an accidental example, rather than the *ahem* plot. "Some things should not be pursued." Really?

Koi Kaze? Doesn't even fit to compare; That one's all about the implications. I just wish it had a better animation budget.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:05 am Reply with quote
Seiru wrote:
I feel that they added the fan-service scenes since the VN was an eroge and they tried to "keep true" on that part

You know, you're right. When Unlimited had those partially flesh-colored plug-suits that made all the female pilots look like they were going around topless, I guess we can't accuse Total Eclipse of being untrue to the spirit of the franchise. Alas.
Quote:
I will still probably recommend Muv-Luv Alternative:Total Eclipse since when they got to the military aspects of the show and the battles it was pretty entertaining IMO

Clunky as the typical-anime-CG stuff always is, it's pretty cool to see the BETA animated, particularly the creepy crawling of the Tank-class BETA, or the Fort-class towering over the battlefield in Kamchatka.
Quote:
EDIT:Also I didn't even knew that Rumbling Hearts was sort of related to Muv-Luv so thanks for including that in your review.I'll put it on my watch-list since it'll be nice to see what it's about.

Anime Central approved my proposal for a history of âge panel, so you could just come to that in May. The difference between âge's dating sim stuff and Unlimited / Alternative is so stark, you have to be super open-minded to like both. Also, I did a #12daysofanime blog about the main Muv-Luv anime, specifically the fact it doesn't exist.

Last edited by invalidname on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
Disappointed that Engaged to the Unidentified only managed a rental. But, can see why the review marked it that way. Personally, loved the show (not perfect) and found it worthy enough to own...now I'm just waiting for my pre-order to arrive.

And, I can understand why it is a hard show to explain. I know how I'd go about it, but I can't do it without spoiling plot points...Laughing
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Seiru wrote:
Speaking about the game it's been months since I did research on it but from what I remember there is so much material for the other Muv-Luv series that I'm hoping that one day they can animate them because from what I remember the development and tragedy were pretty interesting to read.

I just started playing Muv-Luv Extra, and considering I know what's coming in Unlimited and Alternative — no point avoiding spoilers in something 10 years old — the bipolar nature of this series is really a thing to behold. Extra plays at being dippy, in sharp contrast to the angsty Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (aka, Rumbling Hearts), to which it is a direct sequel, while what it's really doing is a head-fake for the alien apocalypse that it will suddenly become.

That said, with two beach episodes, a hot springs episode, and a clips episode, Total Eclipse can't help but be a disappointment. It just can't get out of its own way with the otaku pandering. I did a longer review here.

You really can't go into the Muv-Luv games at this point without knowing where they go. Absolutely no one is going to pick them up and think it's just going to be a silly high school dating sim. Actually, that you have to play through that part is a big problem because it's not what most people want to play it for. I played through all the games (er, well, the main trilogy) a little after the TE anime started. The first game had some amusing bits but it's such a slog. It does get pretty good once you hit Unlimited and especially Alternative.

Barbobot wrote:
Quote:
The two deserted island episodes represent an hour of my life that I'll never get back.

I completely understand this. Pretty sure it was right after those deserted island episodes that I found myself losing complete interest in the show and stopped watching it when it was initially airing.

That was were I dropped the show, particularly after they decided to punish Yui by humiliating her that way.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
An FYI that wasn't included in the capsule review for Maid Sama

This new collection has an English dub, where all the previous releases were sub-only.

Section23 is offering a 50% trade in for people who want to upgrade. The offer is in effect to June 30, 2015

Here is a link:

http://www.rightstuf.com/site/main/news/individual/FT0000007478.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3