• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kill la Kill's Toonami Premiere Time Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
Of course it doesn't air in the first slot. Dammit. That garbage Attack on Titan aired there, Kill la Kill should absolutely lead off a block that is now suffering because of ratings.
You're in the minority thinking it's garbage, still better than NGNL
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Sword Art Online aired at 2am, and from the week it aired to the week it ended, the ratings of the shows around it boosted. The viewerbase was required to sit through the shows before to get to SAO. Attack on Titan, on the other hand, aired at the start of the block and got impressive ratings, but then the ratings would absolutely plummet following it; practically none of the viewers who came for Attack on Titan stuck around for the rest of the block.

They've learned their lesson about programming flavor of the season shows at the very front of the block. It's smarter to go with a similar strategy as SAO (though thankfully not as late) and give the front slot to a anchor show instead (being DBZ Kai).

That's an interesting observation. I realized it was happening with Bleach too, but I never really understood why.

Wyvern wrote:
Perhaps CN'S new plan is to have DB and Naruto, which were the two ratings anchors of the old Toonami, consistently hold the first hour from now on. DB Kai will be about 150 episodes by the time it wraps up so it could keep airing "new" episodes at 11:30 for about three years at the current rate. That's certainly better than Titan airing for 24 weeks and then going into reruns until 2016.

I think it's also partially because Dragon Ball Z and Naruto have been popular with kids, and the earlier the time slot, the more likely children will be watching. Kill la Kill is not quite the most child-friendly show, so perhaps it was moved back to try to minimize the number of kids watching.

AbZeroNow wrote:
Feb 7 schedule is out. 11:30 slot on Toonami is gone. It's only from midnight to 3:30. I give Toonami a year tops before it goes away again.

To be fair, Toonami ran for about 3 hours during its golden age.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I don't understand, they lost the 5am slot, not the 11:30pm slot, why would loosing the hour effect the start time?

The reason they lost 5am was because Toonami's ratings have been doing very poorly the past few months. They had to rethink their strategy going forward.

Yeah, that wasn't the question. The question was why losing the 5am slot would mean moving KlK from the 11:30 slot to the 12:30 slot as the article stated, which it didn't. The real answer was because of the updated 3.5 hour schedule, but thanks for playing.

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

• Schedule Starting 2/7 below:

12:00 - DBZ Kai
    12:30 - Kill la Kill
    01:00 - Naruto: Shippuden
    01:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act
    02:00 - Gurren Lagann
    02:30 - One Piece
    03:00 - Deadman Wonderland

Man, seems nobody likes One Piece. Not getting the ratings.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I remmeber hearing about how ratings would fall when One Piece would come on, then rise back up afterwards. People were tuning to other channels, then back to Toonami when One Piece ended.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
sim0n2170 wrote:
infamoustakai wrote:
Of course it doesn't air in the first slot. Dammit. That garbage Attack on Titan aired there, Kill la Kill should absolutely lead off a block that is now suffering because of ratings.

No Game No Life is relevant how? Oh wait, it's not.

I could tell you about the terrible characters, atrocious pacing, mediocre/unoriginal plot, and bombastic dialogue Titan has. And that it's very much inferior to No Game No Life, but that would be off-topic.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Man, seems nobody likes One Piece. Not getting the ratings.

it does, but views usually drop after its done. moving it towards the end is probably some of of countermeasure
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
sim0n2170 wrote:
infamoustakai wrote:

No Game No Life is relevant how? Oh wait, it's not.

I could tell you about the terrible characters, atrocious pacing, mediocre/unoriginal plot, and bombastic dialogue Titan has. And that it's very much inferior to No Game No Life, but that would be off-topic.

And that would make you no better or any less immature than him. Oh wait.

I could just as easily tell you that No Game No Life is shit because it has sexual panty shots of a little girl (of course some people are into that). Or I could mention that the entire plot element of getting lost in an alternate world (a one focused around games no less) was overused and, what was the term you used? Oh yeah, unoriginal. Say what you will about the show, but Titan's premise is pretty unique and original as far as modern anime goes. That's why a lot more people like it than NGNL. And I'm sure you're devastated that all of those casuals like that shitty show instead of your flawless No Game No Life. From what I saw, I personally thought NGNL was pretty shitty, but I did enjoy AoT. So whatever. The pacing was really uneven.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Okay, folks; let's tone down the rhetoric, shall we?* If I receive another complaint about rampant fanboyism derailing this thread, then I'll start deleting posts wholesale.

Thank you for your cooperation in this regard.

*I'm deliberately not naming names.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
Z-Raid wrote:
I was hoping that Kill la Kill would replace Attack on Titan at the 11:30 PM time slot but 12:30 AM isn't so bad. I believe AoT is just reruns at this point, so I don't think it would hurt to move it to a later time slot.

Here's to hoping that Kill la Kill will bring in higher ratings for Toonami.

I'm afraid it wont. cause unlike space dandy which did will, the eps for kill la kill are already out whether its on dvd or on sites like netflix ,hulu,etc.

which unfortunately piraters have already ripped and streamed them via illegal stream sites. highly unlikely that anyone would want to watch a series again when they know its gonna be edited somewhat to make the series be compliant with their S&P and they can watch it by other means. like with AOT, they blew their chance with this series which is why the whole block is suffering ratingwise. unless they start licensing series that haven't their english dub version streamed online or released on dvd already, its very high that toonami will meet its demise a second time with zero chance of revival.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2