• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamisama Kiss & Japanese Mythology

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Interesting -- and informative -- advertorial. I wonder if it was written exclusively by Funimation's PR people, or if A.N.N. had any input?
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
now THAT's an ad I can read and be interested in... tanks Funi... and ANN Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
FUNi wrote:
...or even the street outside one's house...

Oh, so that's why people (usually women, it has to be said) sprinkle water onto the ground outside their doorstep. I've always wondered about that.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Interesting -- and informative -- advertorial. I wonder if it was written exclusively by Funimation's PR people, or if A.N.N. had any input?

ANN does help with some of these, but it's not the ANN you know. Out editorial, news and interest writers are not allowed to work on advertorial. It's a separate "team." Right now it's only one person.

-t
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
This is very interesting, I liked reading about these tidbits. I'd totally like more advertorials like this. Good job, Funi.

Also, nbahn, how'd you create a discussion thread for this? For both this advertorial and the "5 Things You Might Not Know About Funi" I don't see an option at the bottom of the page to create a discussion in the forums.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:

5 Things feels like an ANN article, KK feels like a paid advertise...er, "advertorial".
(A term coined for all those "New investment opportunities in '15!" ads on the Internet backwater.)

I'd prefer the former to the latter, but I can see how they might help sell a few more series by explaining the cultural Japanese context.
(obligatory Funi/Sgt. Frog gripe: ) They certainly didn't seem interested in cultural series context before... Mad

Last edited by EricJ2 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I really have been liking these advertorials actually. this one and the railgun one were well done and interesting I think.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I definitely like all of the advertorials that I have read. They are entertaining and informative.
I hope that ANN keeps running them.

I actually knew a lot of what is in this Kamisama Kiss article, but some things, such as why people sprinkle water on the sidewalks, were new to me and even the things that I did know were written well enough to make a nice refresher.

I found it interesting that the Merriam-Webster dictionary says that the first known use of "advertorial" was in 1946, and the meaning back then was the same as it is now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:35 am Reply with quote
willag--

On the sidebar which lists summaries of articles there is a link listing exactly how many comments that that have been made about the said article thus far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1