• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is it better to separately order Rightstuf preorders if it ships free?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
So I just found out something interesting despite having used Rightstuf for quite awhile. It looks like there is no added benefit of preordering an item that meets free shipping along with another item that's currently available that also meets free shipping. Please note this isn't a complaint, just a random interesting thing I learned.

Here's the situation. I noticed that Love Live! LE bluray set has like less than 50 copies left so I put an order in right away. At the sametime I like to preorder some stuff I know I'm going to buy right away so added to my order Koimonogatari which comes out Feb 24th. I got an email from Rightstuf saying they're 'still working' on the order so out of curiousity I gave them a call.

Righstuf customer care was really polite, nice, and helpful and explained both items qualify for free shipping, however the shipment of Love Live is currently being held up until Rightstuf's next parshal shipment date which is this upcoming Monday. Items will parshally ship if the total order meets over $100, if one of the items is 50% of the order etc.

So actually, if I just ordered the two items as two separate transactions,Love Live would have shipped right away cause it was in stock and available. This is not a complaint and it's only a few days different, I just found the subtle difference interesting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Er, forgive me if I'm missing something, but shouldn't it be completely obvious that there would be no advantage to adding a pre-order item with an in stock item if both, on their own, qualified for free shipping?
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
@ Darksorrow29,

From reading your post I think that you are making a statement rather than asking a question, but I will still give an answer.

It is better to keep items that are not in stock, for any reason, separate from items that are in stock whenever possible.
Anything that is not in stock can delay the shipment of items that are in stock if it is on the same order.

Last edited by Touma on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I wasn't sure what to make of the title... its really a statement more than a question.

To answer Blood- , i guess my real take away is that it's WORSE to group pre-order items with available stock items.

To me it just seems odd that I can order 2 items and guarnantee a $100 order and ,my In Stock item will ship slower, versus just ordering a single item alone which is less guarnateed money and getting it later. If that makes any sense.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
As a Canadian, there are times when it would be to my advantage to mix in stock and pre-order items. TRSI doesn't tend to partially ship Canadian orders. It usually* waits until the entire order is ready and ships everything at once, which makes sense. This can work to our advantage. Say you want to call dibs on certain titles but don't actually want to pay for them right away. You order what you want and then throw in a pre-order that won't be available for a while. Since TRSI doesn't charge until a package ships, you are in effect "reserving" the key titles and get charged later.

*I say "usually" because if enough time elapses (usually a number of months), they will partially ship what is available. What I'm describing was true under the old Canadian shipping system - not sure if it still applies with the current Canadian shipping system.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
In my experience, TRSI will often hold off on shipping separate orders that are in stock if another item you've separately pre-ordered is nearing release (or stock) so as to save on shipping and packaging costs. Then again, I've had the exact opposite happen to me and had separate, small orders ship within a few days of each other.

So to be completely honest, there's no code to crack with them. Shipping outcomes seem to be entirely atypical. You're basically at the mercy of an automated computer system, their human staff, the pre-designated parcel pickup days, and the postal service; all of which are far from being both infallible and routine.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I got free shipping on an order by pre-ordering something. Although the pre-order was for something months away and if they had checked my history they would have seen that I had just ordered about $2000 of merchandise the week before (during the holiday sale). So, in both cases I think they'd be lenient.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Basically only group orders together if the item or items combined don't add up to the $49.00 or more individually to get the free shipping. So if your order no matter the number of items adds up to $49.00 dollars or more before any discounts are applied RIghtStuf will ship all of your order for free. Even if they have to break it down into several shipments.

I have noticed that if I order something this way and a item is in stock and one is not or if say I pre-order two items that don't come out at the same time that usually they will ship your item 2 weeks after release date.

That if you aren't paying for shipping they will sit on it even if it's in stock, even if one or more items was a pre-order. Also from talking to them they usually ship out partial orders on Mondays every other week as a way to see if the item comes into stock and to save them on shipping.

What I do is wait until I can bundle several items together to qualify for the free shipping since I can wait and am not in a hurry to get them.

But something that has a counter which means that once their gone, they are out forever and it will be out of print I would order it ASAP and pay for the shipping if need be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1