• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Free!, Robot Carnival, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dranio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Though I don't care about dub, unless those more recent titles (Free!, Strike the Blood, Galilei Donna, Arpeggio, ect) get Blu Rays, I won't be buying them. Sub only doesn't bother me, but I won't buy dvd unless it's an older title without a blu ray in Japan, especially if I can stream it in better quality on Crunchyroll. Disappointing really, since I've been wanting Galilei Donna and Strike the Blood, oh well.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
I hope Street Fighter II movie is the Japanese cleaned up remastered transfer and not the garbage transfer we got with the 25th anniversary box set.

The film was released on Blu-ray in the UK & France by Kaze a few years ago and it looks pretty good.

strikezero00 wrote:
Alright so here I have done comparison shots with the source for the R1 DVD used is the double-sided DVD Manga 2006 release which I used the Japanese side since it's considered to use the original master. The DVD will most likely not look so good since it's 1.85:1 non-anamorphic widescreen source compared to the Bluray screens which was provided by a friend of mine and this time the DVD screens are bicubic resized to 1920x1080. Note last image is NSFW.

01 R1 DVD | UK BD
02 R1 DVD | UK BD
03 R1 DVD | UK BD
04 R1 DVD | UK BD
05 R1 DVD | UK BD
06 R1 DVD | UK BD
07 R1 DVD | UK BD (NSFW)

The only question now is about the English dub since there are 3 versions (2 of which are on the 2006 Manga DVD) and the dub Kaze has is the censored version that's on Capcom's 15th & 25th Anniversary releases (believed to be the same as on Sony's PG-13 VHS).

Differences: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?40332-Discotek-Media-licenses-Street-Fighter-II-Movie&p=291324&viewfull=1#post291324

Last edited by NJ_ on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
So I guess that Jojo's will eventually be released by Discotek as well? (it was Crunchyroll that greenlit that Stardust Crusaders dub, right?) Maybe KanColle down the line too! (most likely DVD only if even that, but I can dream)

I guess Funi's sub only subscription must've been the final straw that broke the negotiations between them and Crunchyroll. I mean, we've heard that Funi has been negotiating with Crunchyroll for months and considering that Crunchyroll's/Discotek's partnership announcement came about a month(?)/month and a half(?) after Funi's sub only subscription, it probably is the case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Fascinating how times have changed, all these "No dub? No sale!" folks. I remember back in the day how wanting a dub would get you shunned at the anime club! But now? Seems the tide has turned.

Also - come on, where's the love for Robot Carnival? That thing is a piece of art. It should be mandatory viewing for all anime fans! And more shocking, of everything on the list, that's the one thing I thought would never ever get a release in the states. How the hell did that happen?
BluExocet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
So I guess that Jojo's will eventually be released by Discotek as well? (it was Crunchyroll that greenlit that Stardust Crusaders dub, right?) Maybe KanColle down the line too! (most likely DVD only if even that, but I can dream)

JoJo is firmly in Viz's hands for stateside releases, I believe. Wasn't the test dub done through them?
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
^No, that test dub was actually commissioned by WB Japan.
BluExocet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^No, that test dub was actually commissioned by WB Japan.

Oohh, I didn't know that. That's neat.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
I am interested in Strike the Blood and Galilei Donna, but I would have to think about it if they are not offered on BD. The announcement of Night on the Galactic Railroad is a pleasant surprise; I have been meaning to watch that movie for a while.

And the conversations about the motivations behind the Crunchyroll/Discotek partnership and Funimation not having Free! S1 are certainly interesting, but I would like to hear more directly from the parties involved.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Those complaining about Free might want to read Discotek's Facebook post:
Quote:
Free! Iwatobi Swim Club complete season 1. This will be the Japanese language version with English subtitles on DVD. There may be an English dubbed version released in the future after this subtitled edition is out. No details yet on the possible dubbed version or who will release it yet.

https://www.facebook.com/147168055312297/photos/a.196378827057886.55668.147168055312297/1025488574146903/?type=1&permPage=1

Desslok wrote:
Fascinating how times have changed, all these "No dub? No sale!" folks. I remember back in the day how wanting a dub would get you shunned at the anime club! But now? Seems the tide has turned.

Eh, it's been like that since the market shifted from everything gets a dub to far from everything gets a dub. It's just that now sub-only shows may not even get a home-video release, or are so obscure that no one really complains.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:

Personally, having a sub only release is a huge turn off for me. As someone whom is not a fast reader, among other things, subs are extreamly harder for me to keep track of. Heck at my anime club, I have to bring my laptop with me. I have to load the episodes up on it with the dub track just to even pay attention to what is going. Sure I get shunned for it, but it either is dubbed or I am not watching.
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
I do have titles in my collection that aren't homogenous in language options but, not any with DVD/BD differences across seasons. Most of my collection is also LE, shows that are dubbed in English, and I buy on BD if I have the chance. So the people acting like complaints about Free! are invalid because fans aren't voting with their wallet for what they like is a bit presumptuous. If my purchasing habits are in the minority so be it but, I like to think of myself as a rather casual anime fan anyway so heh, maybe I'm wrong.

I also had no clue there was an Earl & Fairy anime. That might be interesting.

[Edit because I missed the first season of Free! still being available to me on Crunchyroll.]

Last edited by katscradle on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
....oh Crunchyroll why you do this to me....

I love Discotek saving old school anime (I've always wanted to own Robot Carnival) but good god why does Free! have to be split up?!? How long must I wait for Funimation to get the rights and dub both seasons because I refuse to buy season 1 sub only. Just...why...
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm really disappointed in Crunchyroll for not working with Funimation on Free!. I can't help but feel it was petty move on Crunchyroll's part to release it like this but really it is only hurting the series. I probably could have swallowed this better if it was getting a bluray release but it's not. I love Discotek and all but their barebones cheap releases won't work for this when I already imported the first season's blurays.

I'm going to cling to Discotek's "possible dub and who will release it" bit for Free! and hope they can work with Funimation on down the line since Crunchyroll can't seem to stomach it. Not sure if that's even been done before but a girl can hope the best for one of her favorite series can't she?
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:

That's because, honestly, what's the point of buying a sub-only DVD release when an HD version is available for so cheap/free? I like dubs as an extra but I don't demand them. But even though I like my physical collection I just can't justify buying Free! in SD when I can watch an HD version on Crunchyroll for free/the price of the subscription I already have. Especially for a fanservicey show like Free!.

I'll gladly accept Discotek's barebones DVDs for stuff that's not available any other way, or for older stuff that was made in SD. But for a brand-new, popular, pretty show like Free! it's just a disappointment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Well that is just so stupid the Funi didn't get Free since the second season will be dubbed

Well at less someone got Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Galilei Donna, Shining Tears X Wind and Strike the Blood
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10