• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Site Downtime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
My weekend was full of withdrawlas, at least the skakes and nervous sweats have subsided *nervous laugh*

I hope the effects of this incident haven't had too much of a damaging effect through loss of as revenue, work lost and time spent resolving the issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:18 am Reply with quote
Well, at least it was only a week that got lost and not a bigger chunk of data (although it still hurts somewhat)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
Hmm, now I'm pretty curious about what's going on and if it means someone is repeatedly attacking this site. I know there are some anime fans who have a grudge against Anime News Network (the most visible ones being moe fans), though it'd be awfully immature to attack the same target again and again.

No big loss for me and the posts though. If it affects private messages, it means the troll-post sent to me is gone too.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:12 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon - Yes, private messages are affected too (they're part of the forum). I just got a notice of a new private message that I already read over a week ago.

Well, I suppose it's a good thing I didn't watch a lot this week. I only have to remember what I wrote in MyAnime about Rinne No Lagrange S1, OVA and S2 Confused
(ETA: Aw, dang. I also added a synopsis for the OVA. That'll be gone too. Go go medium-term memory..)

I guess I need to think about storing my anime lists elsewhere too though. It'd be very sad if I lost data on 400+ watched and 100+ to-watch anime Crying or Very sad

As for ANN being unreachable, that happens pretty often. Mostly around noon or so (don't remember the exact time), so it's probably just daily maintenance.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
Polls for the Which Anime Character Would You Want to Give Chocolate To for Valentine Day article are still broken. Though I understand that since it's already Feb. 16, maybe it just as well to trash that article and try again next year.
FMABleach

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
This is very unfortunate, and I hope all issues will be resolved soon. Sad

If someone is attacking the site, they must not have anything better to do but cause major issues with an awesome site like ANN. -.-'
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
FMABleach wrote:
This is very unfortunate, and I hope all issues will be resolved soon. Sad

If someone is attacking the site, they must not have anything better to do but cause major issues with an awesome site like ANN. -.-'

It amazes me what people will decide is a good use of their time and talent, and I always wonder what goes through their mind beforehand. If it was indeed something deliberately aimed at ANN, I'd have to ask why ANN since there isn't anything worth getting that worked up about coming from this site. If it was just random mayhem, then what is the point?

Some people have been angry enough with Sony to attack them in a way that affects the Playstation Network, but the result isn't me being angry at Sony, it is me being angry at them for disrupting the use of my Playstation. Back when somebody grabbed a One Piece simulcast off of Funimation some people acted like Funi deserved it for not protecting the content better, but the result was a major disruption to people's viewing because someone else decided not to respect people's property.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
I wish they could somehow get the posts back that people lost.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It amazes me what people will decide is a good use of their time and talent, and I always wonder what goes through their mind beforehand. If it was indeed something deliberately aimed at ANN, I'd have to ask why ANN since there isn't anything worth getting that worked up about coming from this site. If it was just random mayhem, then what is the point?

I'm not exactly the most tech savvy person here, but I have studied criminology, and am certain that if there is a deliberate attack with nothing gained by the attacker, it is emotionally charged. When you have strong emotions about something, good or bad, you stop thinking logically and rationally.

A cyberattack like this can happen from feeling good or feeling bad. Since we don't know anything besides that the site was down for some time and data was lost forever, and we don't even know if there is an attacker, it could be any number of things. Applying Occam's Razor would say that it's a simple accident, and that's what I think it is. I'd guess that a little bit of instability became a lot, or it was a human error from either within the site or from the host.

There are reasons why ANN would be targeted though. It could be that it's a fairly large site and thus a lot of people would be annoyed. There may be holes in the security that makes it a tempting target. That the majority of ANN reviewers do not like a lot of moe shows has made it an enemy of the moe fandom (as in the people who enjoy moe shows mainly because they're moe). Same goes for the hentai fandom. There are people who may have felt slighted by someone here (such as if they were banned or they stand politically opposite of a key member) and want revenge. There are Propeller Heads, who lack maturity and reason but have vast computer knowledge and wreck sites in their tantrums. And then there are those fans who like their illegal means of obtaining anime and manga and hate the localization business for a myriad of reasons; having met a few, they, by extension, hate ANN as it's deeply connected to the localization business.

You don't become big by making a few enemies, so it speaks nothing wrong about the site for them to have people with grudges.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Last month, when we had Cloud Flare "checking your browser" when we logged on to the site, Tempest said that they were under attack in connection with an extortion attempt. It remains to be seen if this is an extension of that or a simple server crash.

So far it seems to be a simple accident.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Back when somebody grabbed a One Piece simulcast off of Funimation some people acted like Funi deserved it for not protecting the content better

I think the same, people having doors made of cardboard can't expect to not be vandalized if their house is in the big city.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
There are reasons why ANN would be targeted though. It could be that it's a fairly large site and thus a lot of people would be annoyed. There may be holes in the security that makes it a tempting target. That the majority of ANN reviewers do not like a lot of moe shows has made it an enemy of the moe fandom ...

I think pointing fingers might be counterproductive (and divisive) since we have no idea what prompted the attack (if any, simple negligence can be quite destructive). There is also the possibility that these outages are the result of several uncoordinated individuals or groups, whose agendas might not have anything to do with the site contents (i.e. they want money).
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Thank God ANN is back. I feel sorry for everyone whose works and forum posts is lost.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:
I think the same, people having doors made of cardboard can't expect to not be vandalized if their house is in the big city.

I think you are wrong. While exposure to reality requires that we take reasonable precautions to protect ourselves, this in no way justifies illegal actions by others. Just because someone can find a way around your precautions doesn't give them a license to vandalize or rob you.

By your reasoning, anyone bigger or stronger than you should be justified in beating you and robbing you just because they can. That is not a society I want to live in.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Able to find an anime I was interested in when reading an article that was lost. Glad that ANN is up and hope they can recover what was lost.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

I think you are wrong. While exposure to reality requires that we take reasonable precautions to protect ourselves, this in no way justifies illegal actions by others. Just because someone can find a way around your precautions doesn't give them a license to vandalize or rob you.

By your reasoning, anyone bigger or stronger than you should be justified in beating you and robbing you just because they can. That is not a society I want to live in.

I am not justifying illegal actions. I am just saying that not having adequate protection means petty criminals will sooner (rather than later) have their way. Criminals do not need to be bigger or stronger for beating or stealing, they only need to have the will to do it and an easy target.

As far as I know people in the states have the common sense to lock their house doors and lock the doors of their cars when they are not inside, so why it it is so hard to grasp that websites also require adequate security? As a matter of fact, most of the time I use linux when I am buying something online, have installed an antivirus and my browser has several add ons for security, so it is not only big sites that should be wary online, a cousin of mine was hit by an attack on his windows computer that encrypted most of his personal files and the attackers demanded extortion money (which he did not pay afaik, so years of files from his company went down the drain)).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6