• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Blood: The Last Vampire

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I suppose this is good news, but live action remakes always leave a bad taste in my mouth. I've yet to see a live version of any anime, manga, US cartoon, US Comic, game, etc., that really felt right.

Good to know that Production I.G. will be taking a chunk of the revenue though. This will probably be fairly successful even if it's terrible. (Huge name recognition, people are obsessed with vampires.)

They'll probably use the profits for more anime. Cool
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Hot! Twisted Evil Ji-hyun Jun as Saya. I love her in My Sassy Girl and Windstruck. If they ever made a U.S version of this, though, I'd pick Angelina Jolie for her big, fat, ugly lips (given that they're trying to adapt the anime movie).

halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
So can we assume that this will be longer than the mercifully short less-than-one-hour-run-time of the anime original?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
So can we assume that this will be longer than the mercifully short less-than-one-hour-run-time of the anime original?

I'd guess 100 minutes or so.

Mercifully? I happened to like Blood: The Last Vampire. Its biggest shortcoming IMHO was the fact that it was so short and did not include any developmental scenes (ie: plot). Regardless of whether they like or hate the movie, most people seem to agree that this was the movie's biggest failure... Which is why I find it odd that you say it was "mercifully short."

-t
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I happened to like Blood: The Last Vampire. Its biggest shortcoming IMHO was the fact that it was so short and did not include any developmental scenes (ie: plot). Regardless of whether they like or hate the movie, most people seem to agree that this was the movie's biggest failure...

Same with me. I love the production values (aside from those ugly lips), but felt 45-ish minutes was way too short for anything. They just give you very small hints about her past, show her killing a couple of Chiropterans, and that's it.

Blood+ did a slightly better job explaining her past and tying it into a good, suspenseful story. But towards the end, it relies too much on melodrama resulting in a horribly paced and drawn-out crap de jour.

It's too bad neither of the anime incarnations could give us anything to call 'definitive' yet. (But damn, I love Blood+'s soundtrack Anime hyper).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
So it's now officially for real. That'd be a laugh if AJ got the part, but would it really bring people to the theaters, you think?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
So it's now officially for real. That'd be a laugh if AJ got the part, but would it really bring people to the theaters, you think?

Probably, seeing as how a lot of people actually think she's even remotely attractive Rolling Eyes. I mean, isn't she the only reason Tomb Raider had any success?

P.S.: I am not one of those people. I cannot stand her looks or image.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

Probably, seeing as how a lot of people actually think she's even remotely attractive Rolling Eyes. I mean, isn't she the only reason Tomb Raider had any success?

P.S.: I am not one of those people. I cannot stand her looks or image.
At the risk of this turning into an anti-Jolie thread, I have to agree with you Tony K. I don't get the appeal.

Personally, I find a number of VAs here in the states far better looking than her. Add in all of the other actresses we see in front of the cameras and it boggles my mind that everyone focuses on Angelina Jolie. Confused

At least they are casting a good looking woman like Ji-hyun Jun for Saya in this live action. (Can't think of anyone I'd cast for US production. I'd be more concerned about preventing the rights from being gotten by Uwe Boll. Evil or Very Mad )
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
At least they are casting a good looking woman like Ji-hyun Jun for Saya in this live action. (Can't think of anyone I'd cast for US production. I'd be more concerned about preventing the rights from being gotten by Uwe Boll. Evil or Very Mad )

I thought Uwe Boll could only lay his hands on video games, he'd try to touch anime as well?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Mercifully? I happened to like Blood: The Last Vampire. Its biggest shortcoming IMHO was the fact that it was so short and did not include any developmental scenes (ie: plot). Regardless of whether they like or hate the movie, most people seem to agree that this was the movie's biggest failure... Which is why I find it odd that you say it was "mercifully short."

The only real problem with the Blood movie was that the entire Blood franchise was released ass-backwards in North America. The movie was only really meant to be an interlude or such that linked together some of the various novels, manga, and PS2 games that actually told the main story, and came well before the movie in terms of production. It was a good couple years after the movie that the manga was released locally, and a few more years after that that one of the novels was released. And we'll never get the PS2 games, I'm fairly certain.

Why Japan pulls this crap I do not know and would like to find out (assuming it doesn't just amount to "more money," which is fairly obvious). But unfortunately, they feel the need to spread stories out over multiple formats and force people to buy a book, a game, a comic book, a DVD, and another game on another system in order to make sense of it all (as opposed to, I dunno, just making it a novel or movie series or something simple and coherent like that). Gundam SEED and .hack fall prey to the exact same thing and it's aggravating as hell, especially when we only get fragments of these franchises that result in them getting really awful reputations here for being "crap" (when really, they're not, but Japan expects you to be a good Japanese consumer in order to find that out).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote
So with Blood and Speed Racer actually happening, does anyone think Jimmy's going to shelve Avatar and go back to GunM for real this time?

Nagisa: The novel's even worse than the movie, since it's a 300 page college lecture with stupid conspiracy theories inserted at the end. The manga just looks like a cheap cash-in, and I'm almost certain the game is a "choose-your-own-adventure" type deal.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:42 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Nagisa: The novel's even worse than the movie, since it's a 300 page college lecture with stupid conspiracy theories inserted at the end. The manga just looks like a cheap cash-in, and I'm almost certain the game is a "choose-your-own-adventure" type deal.

The novel (I hope your talking about "Night of the Beast") hasn't been all that bad, but as I reach the end of the story I am having some difficulties trying to finish it. It does have the lecture feel to it, well at the point I am at (at least).

As for the Angelina comments above I do find her attractive however that isn't someone I would want playing my 15 year Saya....catch my drift. 30+ old lady doesn't really work for me anymore as a suitable name for this character however it would probably bring more people to the theater.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:44 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

I thought Uwe Boll could only lay his hands on video games, he'd try to touch anime as well?
To be honest, I don't actually know that he'd want to try and adapt an anime to live-action. His "efforts" with games have been so horrible in my opinion that I find myself worrying about it nonetheless.

That guy's thought process is so difficult to follow, I wouldn't put anything past him.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:55 am Reply with quote
Tony K wrote:
Same with me. I love the production values (aside from those ugly lips),
Ugly? It was one of the reasons I liked Blood too! They gave the charactors more realism. There aren't enough lips in anime in my opinion. <3 Wink
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
I'm very excited about this film. Ronny Yu did a great job with "Jet Li's Fearless," and from what I read he's going to be 98% faithful to the original (aside from where it takes place, but having it a post-WWII flick is cool, too).

BTW: Yu was originally supposed to do "Snakes on a Plane," but New Line canned him 'cause they said his ideas weren't "PG-13 friendly" (before they went with the R).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2