• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood Blockade Battlefront (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
If I had to describe this season so far in 4 words, I'd use:

1. Flashy
2. Over-the-top
3. Surreal
4. Entertaining

I don't disagree with any of the adjectives above but I would add:

5. Empty

In other words, a lot of frenetic activity, a lot of sumptuous eye candy, a lot of attitude ... but not much emotional or narrative engagement, at least on my part.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
My memory for movies is weak, but the one the pair were watching at the end seemed to be some kind of variant of the "Twins" move starring Schwarzenegger and DeVito from decades ago. For some reason, it seems to elicit quite a reaction from the girl (possibly because of who the brother is supposed to be?)

My guess is that she identifies with DeVito's character; maybe *she* is the leftover part of some sort of experiment?

She's pretty cute and amusing. Leo better not mess it up. Razz
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
5. Empty

In other words, a lot of frenetic activity, a lot of sumptuous eye candy, a lot of attitude ... but not much emotional or narrative engagement, at least on my part.
Yeah, reading the unending praise for shows like this reminds me that the thing that got a lot of people into anime is completely different from what attracted me.

Plus, I've never found the massacre of huge numbers of innocents to be "cool" or "fun" or "exciting," so shows that treat it that way make me grumpy.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
It's an adaptation of a Shounen-Jump series, so deep narrative exposition and character development isn't normally high on the list of selling points. I'm just watching this for the eye-candy, entertainment which doesn't tax my brain and for the ridiculous array of new and unfamiliar vocabulary for me to get my head around.

Given the name of this series and the direction it's going, are viewers at the point where they should be looking at what I presume is the core storyline of this series?
meiam

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
If I had to describe this season so far in 4 words, I'd use:

1. Flashy
2. Over-the-top
3. Surreal
4. Entertaining

I don't disagree with any of the adjectives above but I would add:

5. Empty

Personally I think that's one of the show strength, there clearly not trying to make me care about the character so they don't ham fist the character and the "feel" down my throat (Like plastic memory, bleh). In that sense, the show feel more natural than most non comedy anime set in the real world.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
It's an adaptation of a Shounen-Jump series, so deep narrative exposition and character development isn't normally high on the list of selling points.

Anime doesn't usually develop characters (at least not in any kind of complex way) so I'm not missing that. It doesn't take much to make me care about characters but BBB doesn't seem hugely interested in even jumping over that low bar.

I'm not looking for "deep narrative exposition" either. Just an engaging story as opposed to, "well, here's this week's slap-happy collection of high energy hijinks."
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Anime doesn't usually develop characters (at least not in any kind of complex way) so I'm not missing that. It doesn't take much to make me care about characters but BBB doesn't seem hugely interested in even jumping over that low bar.

I'm not looking for "deep narrative exposition" either. Just an engaging story as opposed to, "well, here's this week's slap-happy collection of high energy hijinks."

No one answered my question regarding where the series is at right now, so perhaps watch a couple more episodes before deciding if there is a story in this series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh I'm in until the end, no doubt. This title skates a far distance on pure style. I just think it's a pity that with five eppies down some of us are still wondering if an actual story is going to start.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
Another fun episode. The visual style and crazy characters go a long way with this show.

Blood- wrote:
Oh I'm in until the end, no doubt. This title skates a far distance on pure style. I just think it's a pity that with five eppies down some of us are still wondering if an actual story is going to start.

I kinda agree at this point. It seems like that that guy with visor over his face (Femt? or something) might be the spoiler[main villan] but so far we haven't seen what his end goal is or why he's going after the Libra organization. I hope something major, story-wise, happens next week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well if you thought that Femt was trouble for causing trouble because he was bored, we were now introduced to Aligura, spoiler[the girl Femt dances with in the ED]. She was causing spoiler[mayhem because with her super literal monster truck because she was looking for her man, Doug & Brody, the Frankenstein monster creation of her bad boy monster boyfriend and a human heartthrob]. She happens to run into Leo and captures him.

Now on a level it is not exactly a fun situation, Aligura is clearly causing a huge amount of damage, and likely death of people, and her reasons are so petty and unnecessary, she captured Leo so they could swap love stories. It creates a really odd dissonance between what we are seeing of a massive disaster, and that it is kind of a crazy girl in love, but on a level I think that is what makes it so entertaining. Femt and Aligura are villains because everyone are toys to them, but seeing such insanity just being a part of their everyday lives is kind of fun, like watching the Joker. Through all the insanity I was indeed enjoying Aligura.

I will agree that there is a certain level of emotional connection that is kind of lost in this series (making it feel empty), there is not a hell lot of time to care a lot about characters when crazy stuff happens, with possibly large devastating happenings. The series does seem to have tried setting something up though with the ghost girl... I think she is White, right? Despite claiming to be a ghost at first, she can clearly talk to other people and is kept in the hospital. Based on her spoiler[getting sad at that movie that was clearly "Twins", that one guy talking even made me think of Danny DeVitto, it makes me wonder if there is a similar situation going on with her brother].

Also I noticed that although Aligura has a metal thing on her face similar to Femt, spoiler[she looked to grow an eye on it], making wonder if Femt can do similar. Also add that I am happy having further context of the various characters in the ED, I really enjoy it.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[That jellyfish monster thing was unusual, but likeable.
Leo really has a big heart..
He managed to get a new friendship out of it too.
Still, that beating caused a weird side effect.
Those taxi guys went overboard and got exactly what they deserved.
Still, it's a shame they didn't remember, but managed to do it all over again.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I think it's more like a mushroom.

spoiler[This week's episode was great. I loved the chemistry between Leo and Nej. It's too bad there are punks in that city who treats it like trash and only want glory for themselves. Good thing Leo was there to stop them despite putting himself at risk.]

Another interesting development is that little encounter at the end between spoiler[Leo and Black]. Curious to see how the latter's role will be for the remainder course of this season. Oh and music remains fabulous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't as enamoured with this episode as I was with the past few weeks, probably the lack of action.

It felt more like world-building, the point that both humans and outsiders are comprised of "good" and "bad" individuals is rammed home quite strongly, especially with the choice of episode title and Neji's unique skill when enraged.

I wonder how many identities White's brother has, calling himself Black as well as the King of Despair. Given the developments over the last two weeks, it does raise an interesting question of who White really is and what she's doing as an inmate in a hospital.

I wonder what next week will bring since it looks like a return to more action, what with Klaus spoiler[somehow engaged in some kind of MMA fight. ]
meiam

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I keep reading that there going trough the content at a really quick pace, but this week's episode honestly felt like a filler. I mean the last minute of it was more important to the overall story than the rest since I doubt Nej will be recurring. They could really have cut that down to half an episode, maybe even a third. There was no action, it wasn't particularly funny, not much world building happened (human and monster don't get perfectly along, no waaaaaaaaaay?!) and the drama was meh since it was about a character we just met. I guess they schedule a break episode for 5 to spend more time on episode 6 or something.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
He is practically dating white, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12