• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote

Season 1: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (TV)
Season 2: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (TV 2) (discussion starts here)
Season 3: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III (TV) (discussion starts here)
Season 4 (1st half): Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? IV (TV 4) (discussion starts here)
Season 4 (2nd half): Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? IV (TV 5) (discussion starts here)

Source: Light Novels (ongoing @ 18 volumes, written by Fujino Ōmori, illustrated by Suzuhito Yasuda)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: J.C. Staff

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance

Themes: dungeons, fan service, gods, guilds, harem, monsters, superpowers, swordplay, virtual reality

Plot Summary:Commonly known as the "Dungeon," the city of Orario possesses a huge labyrinth in the underground. Its strange name attracts excitement, illusions of honor, and hopes of romance with a pretty girl. In this city of dreams and desires, new adventurer Bell Cranel has his fateful encounter with the tiny Goddess Hestia.

Thus begins the story of a boy striving to become the best adventurer and a lonely goddess searching for followers both hoping to reach their goals and perhaps have some romance in the side.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: April 3, 2015 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, HIDIVE

Season 2: July 12, 2019 (Friday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Season 3: October 20, 2020 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, HIDIVE

Season 4 (Part 1): July 22, 2022 (Friday)

Season 4 (Part 2): January 5, 2023 (Thursday)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 13 episodes
Season 2: 12 episodes
Season 3: 12 episode
Season 4 (1st half): 11 episodes
Season 4 (2nd half): 11 episodes

Total: 59 episodes
----------------------------------

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wxhpfkyg7_c
----------------------------------

Coming this April with cast and staff info...this has a lot of potential to it. Looks a bit generic though but I heard some good things about it. This also has the sort of world fiction setting with a colorful cast of characters.

Fantasy wise, I'm expecting some decent ideas from the show if it adapts right. Might be a 1 cour show though. Oh and this title is a pretty damn long Laughing

Last edited by Stark700 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Well, that was fun. spoiler[Not sure how I feel about the theme song but the soundtrack, characters, and backgrounds were well illustrated. We have a lot of Hestia/Bell chemistry going on although there's also some little bits of action.]

They really made spoiler[Aiza look good in the first episode based on her appearance alone]. And with this, I think the story will pick up a bit after wards since this was the pilot/intro episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I was onboard until the tavern scene. Not only was the dialogue so completely idiotically awkward, I'm really not interested in a "nerd gets bullied by the jocks but gets the girl through showing them all" show, and that's what it was signalling.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Well, I quite enjoyed that even though they missed some scenes out and altered things from the Light Novel.

For instance on the second morning, after spoiler[Bell awakes to Hestia laying upon him, he visits the dungeon as shown. Though they show the five Kobolds, they missed out the cool fight that ensured which shows us that Bell has a "tactical brain" by leading them into an ambush.]

Also I'm pretty sure that spoiler[Hestia comes across as more tsundere in the LN's and not this much lovingly hyper.]

But yeah, I quite enjoyed the episode and will now have to try and finish the rest of the book before next week.

Last edited by Shikiari on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This reminded me of Tower of Druaga at first glance.
That Bell sure has an interesting friend..
He himself is interesting as a character.
This anime could be good, but only time will tell.
Will give it an episode or two before I decide.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Although I gave the novel version decent marks, I definitely like the anime version better so far.

I am a little concerned that how fast the story is moving might curtail the world-building too much, but I do like the way it comes together here, especially the Hestia/Bell dynamic so far. It's guaranteed to be one of my keepers for the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping that the humour of this show would live up to the title which I can never read without chuckling. Off to a decent start, but not as funny as I was hoping. Mind you, the first episode of The Devil is a Part-timer wasn't a laughfest either but it soon kicked into high gear.

Interesting world building, so far. And for the 1,548,843th time in anime, I much prefer the chick the MC should like instead of the one he does.
dlm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I was onboard until the tavern scene. Not only was the dialogue so completely idiotically awkward, I'm really not interested in a "nerd gets bullied by the jocks but gets the girl through showing them all" show, and that's what it was signalling.

That is kind of what Accelerator does.

I mean... oh, crud.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Wow, I really like this premise, I am a fan of RPGs, and I have played my share of JRPG before, so this feels fun. Although I probably could play some more JRPG, but limited by console. I would say that I am reminded of what little I have played of Etrian Odyssey Untold, which followed the idea of working your way through dungeon floors, that one actually very involved for managing a team of 5's skills, along with drawing the map and being careful of particularly dangerous foes. I really need to pick up that game again, but I just got Xenolade Chronicles.

Apart from above I also feel like a big fan of this world for things like all these fantasy races, and scenes like festive pubs and various other things that seem to be going on. Right now to me it feels like the story is just a way to start off. The whole "pick up girls" is kind of not that great, but rookie guy being saved and falling in love with strong gal, has just enough role reversal that it has me interested. He does not seem like a bad guy, at least earnest. I hope for there to be a party soon because these sort of tales need interest supporting characters. I want to see a no name group get bigger at the very least.
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
The series definitely has potential. The overall premise is a bit silly, but that's what I like. After watching Cross Ange and feeling a bit sullied, this series I think will provide some needed dumb fun mind cleansing.

While the first episode wasn't as funny as I was hoping or expected, it was still goofy and fun yet also gave a little promise of some serious situations and character growth later down the road.

I do feel bad for Hestia already though who is obviously in love with Bell. This is just going to cause issues and heartache down the road as he progresses towards obtaining Aiz. Plus I am sure Loki will cause plenty of issues along the way as well.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Bell will end up with a girl that loves him instead of a girl he just "wants." But, then again we don't really know much about Aiz yet or see much of her character yet.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
Certainly a fun first episode. Gonna be keeping an eye on this one.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
looks like it will be fun, so long as tavern scenes don't happen too often. I'm on board for now
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:59 am Reply with quote
Best new anime so far this season, it really took the stink of Plastic Memories out of my mouth. I hope it retains this level of quality.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Best new anime so far this season, it really took the stink of Plastic Memories out of my mouth. I hope it retains this level of quality.

Best anime? Thanks for the laught.
If having an effeminate protag who develops a puppy crush on strongindependentwomanknight and then receives a super convenient asspull skill to get her numbers higher on the scouter powerlevel scale all in RPG serving, while we get in-the-face ecchi in our face as a side dish shouts "best anime" for you, then I'm doubting your objectivity and sanity on the subject...
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Best anime? Thanks for the laught.
If having an effeminate protag who develops a puppy crush on strongindependentwomanknight and then receives a super convenient asspull skill to get her numbers higher on the scouter powerlevel scale all in RPG serving, while we get in-the-face ecchi in our face as a side dish shouts "best anime" for you, then I'm doubting your objectivity and sanity on the subject...

Well, of the season so far, yeah. The only other new shows I've seen so far are Plastic Memories, which was awful, and Shokugeki no Soma, which was good, but since the first ep adapted the first chapter of the manga, it wasn't the best the series has to offer. I also watched Seraph, which was solid, but yeah, DanMachi was better. It's fanservicy, sure, and if you're sex-negative I can see how that could be a turn off, but it's not about fanservice, and the underlying show seems fun and of high overall quality. The rest of the season might go downhill, but assuming it doesn't it should be a pretty entertaining ride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10